Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Jan 2020, 17:06 (Ref:3954441)   #176
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio View Post
Interestingly enough (and for some reason not communicated by anybody), sporting rules for 2020 allow teams to run a 3rd car for a rookie driver. THis rookie driver will not be eligible to score for the Teams' title though
And there is no limit per manufacturer (a shame really, because I feel there is a risk that half of the field will run Hyundais)

Article 13.8. Except for the race-by-race entries, a competitor must enter
two (2) cars. A competitor may enter one (1) additional car for a "rookie" driver as per Article 6.2.
Strange that it was never officially announced. Good to see more rookies get a chance, but I do agree we risk a Hyundai takeover. I guess it'a better that than a 12 car grid!

Hopefully the announcements start picking up soon.
Old 29 Jan 2020, 18:19 (Ref:3954455)   #177
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Typical Juntos, having a meltdown about grid sizes... Funny how they often end up about right when it actually gets to the first race.
Last minute deals.
Cheap deals.
We all know how it works.
When you learn, teach.
Old 30 Jan 2020, 17:33 (Ref:3954590)   #178
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In all fairness, there were roughly 3 times more entries announced this time last year. I think Hyundai and Cyan have some yet to be announced deals worked out, possibly PWR and Cupra too, but aside from that it does seem very uncertain..the grid size should still be better than TC1 though (fingers crossed firmly).

The main problem TCR has is justifying the expense compared to competing in GT3.
Old 30 Jan 2020, 19:03 (Ref:3954601)   #179
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

If the deals were in place, and everything was just fine, we'd have hear more announcements by now.

Even Cyan and Hyundai have their own headaches.
Old 30 Jan 2020, 21:52 (Ref:3954633)   #180
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main problem is the series isn't sure what it is meant to be. The series allegedly doesn't have works entries (albeit a few are indistinguishable from being works entries) yet goes to a load of venues that have little appeal to the wealthy amateur driver (Morocco, China, Korea and Malaysia might interest manufacturers, but not most gentlemen drivers). And the 4 of the 5 rounds in Europe are pretty uninspiring too. Compare that with a GT series, where the amateur can get a top line driver to share his car with, race a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Mercedes and travel to a range of top circuits in Europe such as Brands Hatch, Zandvoort, Catalunya, Silverstone and Spa Francorchamps, it's not difficult to see why GT makes a lot more sense.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 04:33 (Ref:3954662)   #181
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
We’re not talking about gentleman drivers like Douglas Khoo here..but the young 20-something year olds like Denis Dupont or Ben Lessennes. They still need to find a budget to go racing themselves, so why do it in a slower car with less exposure on worse tracks for the same money?
Old 31 Jan 2020, 08:17 (Ref:3954670)   #182
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
The main problem is the series isn't sure what it is meant to be. The series allegedly doesn't have works entries (albeit a few are indistinguishable from being works entries) yet goes to a load of venues that have little appeal to the wealthy amateur driver (Morocco, China, Korea and Malaysia might interest manufacturers, but not most gentlemen drivers). And the 4 of the 5 rounds in Europe are pretty uninspiring too. Compare that with a GT series, where the amateur can get a top line driver to share his car with, race a Ferrari, Lamborghini or Mercedes and travel to a range of top circuits in Europe such as Brands Hatch, Zandvoort, Catalunya, Silverstone and Spa Francorchamps, it's not difficult to see why GT makes a lot more sense.
Who said WTCR is for gentlemen drivers? In GT racing there is big space for amateurs but WTCR is a World Cup (however poor this is) and these are professional teams and drivers that are in the foreground. Still, it doesn't change the fact that rounds in countries such as China or Malaysia are of little interest for these.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:08 (Ref:3954714)   #183
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SLR out.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:12 (Ref:3954716)   #184
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.touringcartimes.com/2020...irm-wtcr-exit/

they said they would like to continue in touring car racing altough their exit from wtcr. I wonder if they plan to move to TCR Europe with VW or if they just want to act like Romeo Ferraris that built and sell cars in all tcr national championship.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:20 (Ref:3954718)   #185
Csaba
Racer

Hungary
Csaba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
We’re not talking about gentleman drivers like Douglas Khoo here..but the young 20-something year olds like Denis Dupont or Ben Lessennes. They still need to find a budget to go racing themselves, so why do it in a slower car with less exposure on worse tracks for the same money?
But we most not forget, that GT3 cheaper because: MORE DRIVERS SHARE THE SAME CAR. Sorry for Caps Lock, but this is one of the most important pieces of the story. But I must admit that prices went crazy in TCR in a very short time. Dutch teenager Danny Kroes who competed in TCR Europe in 2018 left, because the money involved in the "second tier" series was on the same level as Blancpain. To talk about exact numbers, the father of Danny said in the TCR Talk Facebook group last year, that you need almost 200-300 thousand euro for a top seat in TCR Europe, and you can race in Blacpain for half of that, due to the car being shared among 2-3 drivers.

To start another topic, the case of SLR is sad lets see if Bennani and/or Huff end up in a seat elsewhere.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 15:01 (Ref:3954787)   #186
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaba View Post
But we most not forget, that GT3 cheaper because: MORE DRIVERS SHARE THE SAME CAR.
The cars are shared but drivers receive similar track time compared to WTCR
Old 1 Feb 2020, 22:55 (Ref:3955140)   #187
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
SLR out.
No surprise. VW was bankrolling the whole game. Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like.
Old 2 Feb 2020, 09:28 (Ref:3955251)   #188
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csaba View Post
But we most not forget, that GT3 cheaper because: MORE DRIVERS SHARE THE SAME CAR. Sorry for Caps Lock, but this is one of the most important pieces of the story. But I must admit that prices went crazy in TCR in a very short time. Dutch teenager Danny Kroes who competed in TCR Europe in 2018 left, because the money involved in the "second tier" series was on the same level as Blancpain. To talk about exact numbers, the father of Danny said in the TCR Talk Facebook group last year, that you need almost 200-300 thousand euro for a top seat in TCR Europe, and you can race in Blacpain for half of that, due to the car being shared among 2-3 drivers.

To start another topic, the case of SLR is sad lets see if Bennani and/or Huff end up in a seat elsewhere.
It's crazy when you think how big amount of money you need for touring series. 300k for TCR Europe, 500k for BTCC, who knows how many for Supercars. I always thought that touring should be cheap. It NEEDS to be cheap. It should be series where you buy normal street car, install safety cage, do some other tweaks, add normal BoP (not 97.5% Hyundai and Lynk are faster then 100% Golf...). I hope that this new FIA small cars touring class is much cheaper and balanced, same with eTCR. Big + for eTCR is that every car will use same layout, same batteries, so that should be interesting.
Old 2 Feb 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3955255)   #189
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0994 View Post
It's crazy when you think how big amount of money you need for touring series. 300k for TCR Europe, 500k for BTCC, who knows how many for Supercars. I always thought that touring should be cheap.
Except for the fact that in Supercars most drivers are paid and don't have to pay themselves.
Maybe touring cars should be cheap but in comparison to things like formulas or DTM it is still cheap. I don't think racing could be really much cheaper than it is. Some measures to lower costs are taken (TCR is cheap in comparison to former WTCC) but it'll always be expensive. TCR is a perfect example. It was meant to be cheap but with time the costs have been inevitably rising. I think it has always been the case in motorsport.
Old 2 Feb 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3955297)   #190
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Except for the fact that in Supercars most drivers are paid and don't have to pay themselves.
Maybe touring cars should be cheap but in comparison to things like formulas or DTM it is still cheap. I don't think racing could be really much cheaper than it is. Some measures to lower costs are taken (TCR is cheap in comparison to former WTCC) but it'll always be expensive. TCR is a perfect example. It was meant to be cheap but with time the costs have been inevitably rising. I think it has always been the case in motorsport.
The cars cost up to €150k each in TCR and, for some manufactures, that is selling them at a loss. Car hire to a driver is €40k for the season if you do not own your own car. Entry fees and Insurance takes up another €40k (€19.5k and €20.5k respectively). Tyres, using your seasons full allocation, is €32k, then transportation, service items, team fees, fuel, running costs, car preparation, damage, etc. And the team need to make some money.....easy to get to €300k.

So i agree, TCR is cheap.
Old 2 Feb 2020, 16:17 (Ref:3955298)   #191
Matt K
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
The cars cost up to €150k each in TCR and, for some manufactures, that is selling them at a loss. Car hire to a driver is €40k for the season if you do not own your own car. Entry fees and Insurance takes up another €40k (€19.5k and €20.5k respectively). Tyres, using your seasons full allocation, is €32k, then transportation, service items, team fees, fuel, running costs, car preparation, damage, etc. And the team need to make some money.....easy to get to €300k.

So i agree, TCR is cheap.
Yes, comparing it to different championship it is relatively cheap. Nevertheless, in the beginning TCR was meant to be a cheap form of racing but manufacturer's participation raised costs.
Old 2 Feb 2020, 20:12 (Ref:3955337)   #192
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCR has gotten expensive but the cost of previous regulation got expensive

In the 80s we had Group A, That got too expensive, so the regulations that became Supertouring were introduced as a way to lower costs. By the late 1990s that became too expensive,
I have heard Ford spent around £20 Million to win the BTCC in 2000,

So has a way to lower costs S2000 was introduced but that then became too expensve, so TCR was introduced as a cheaper alternative.

Now TCR costs seem to be creeping up and in a few years someone will probably introduce a cheaper replacement for TCR, and eventually that regulation will also become too expensive.
Old 2 Feb 2020, 21:08 (Ref:3955344)   #193
Matt K
Veteran

Exactly what I was thinking about. Creating rules that are cheap and WILL stay cheap is a utopia.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 01:14 (Ref:3955371)   #194
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Quote:
Yes, comparing it to different championship it is relatively cheap. Nevertheless, in the beginning TCR was meant to be a cheap form of racing but manufacturer's participation raised costs.
It’s inevitable, all the way from Formula 1 through to Karting . Those that can afford it will find every possible way to gain that minimal advantage.

One of the few exceptions I can think of in customer Motorsport is GT3 which is nearly 10 years old now and still going strong, so SRO have definitely done something right to manage the expenses even with a high level of manufacturer support.

Hopefully, eTCR will be cost managed better over time, but if it works it’ll undoubtedly attract OEM money again and lead to costs spiralling upwards again..or alternatively cement the Formula for the future.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 09:54 (Ref:3955427)   #195
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as i can oversee it, the Superstars series from last decade was a brilliant thing...building spectacular cars from street cars. Maybe it is now the time for something like that.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 10:06 (Ref:3955429)   #196
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Only a handful of full time Supercars drivers are directly employed by the team these days.

The rest take a minimal salary from a cut of the sponsorship they bring to secure the drive.

TCR cars are meant to be cheap to run. It's the teams that run them that jack the costs up, when they want to run at the front of the field. Those guys are throwing dampers and short-life engines at them every event, multiple gearboxes throughout the weekend, new pads and rotors for every session...

These cars were intended to do a season on one gearbox and set of dampers, two seasons on an engine, and pads and rotors every 1-2 meetings.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3955430)   #197
smithhehehaha
Racer

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks unclear for the new season, as the series allows more "independent" teams to participate, but we also see many seasoned participants are getting out from this kitchen.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 10:31 (Ref:3955437)   #198
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone still knows/remembers, if ahead of last season there were more possible entries, if there was not a limit per manufacturer?

In the moment, we lost "only" VW, maybe Alfa. I would say, an Audi-team could be still possible, even if not factory support.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 12:55 (Ref:3955458)   #199
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGasfuss View Post
As far as i can oversee it, the Superstars series from last decade was a brilliant thing...building spectacular cars from street cars. Maybe it is now the time for something like that.
I’d love to see something along the lines of that, bring it back to how it was in the 70s/80s where the ‘average joe’ could build something up and compete competitively amongst some of the big names
Old 3 Feb 2020, 14:02 (Ref:3955467)   #200
iceman-1987
Veteran

Italy
milan
iceman-1987 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://it.motorsport.com/wtcr/news/...ciali/4679514/

Reading the interview of Adamo the only tcr driver confirmed is Luca Engstler but it's not clear if he will race in WTCR (Hyundai didn't confirm yet if they will be in WTCR 2020) or again in some other TCR championship.

If he should enter in wtcr team (imho) I think the more likely to be replaced would be Tarquini.