Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Mar 2020, 14:39 (Ref:3961947)   #426
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
So.... the f1 forum is talking about possible cancelled races/non points races because of coronavirus...

With an international grid, cars, teams and drivers from Italy, among other hotspots, has there been any discussion of it affecting sebring? Or any sportscar races?

To be clear, I don't think it's as bad as made out to be, unless you're over 70 or so or have respiratory issues, in which case this is serious, but with all the panic/worry/restrictions, I'm wondering if this will have an impact on imsa.
Yeah, #MePersonally...think that the hype/lies/spin from the media and the potential panic from the masses is 100 times scarier than this virus itself. Lets just say many of these media types have political interests to see the economy tank and to see certain political leaders look bad. Shift back to racing, IMSA folks are smart. Sebring will go ahead as scheduled I'm sure.
Old 6 Mar 2020, 14:45 (Ref:3961952)   #427
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Yeah, #MePersonally...think that the hype/lies/spin from the media and the potential panic from the masses is 100 times scarier than this virus itself. Lets just say many of these media types have political interests to see the economy tank and to see certain political leaders look bad. Shift back to racing, IMSA folks are smart. Sebring will go ahead as scheduled I'm sure.
Eh, the Chinese seem to be dead serious about it, and those guys are not known for putting their people's health above their economic progress. So the fact that they are willing to enact measures that seriously damage their economy suggests to me that there actually is a reason to be concerned. They wouldn't quarantine and shut down whole cities over a slightly worse strain of the flu.
Old 6 Mar 2020, 19:32 (Ref:3962013)   #428
MaskedRacer
Veteran

The addition of the Gradient (formerly CJ Wilson) Acura to the Weathertech series shows ever further that the GTD Sprint Cup formula has a big appeal. And it is picking off teams from GT WC America. I was skeptical of them adding Long Beach to the schedule. But it has not dissuaded teams from proceeding with the Sprint campaign still. Personally I like Long beach to remain DPI/GTLM only, despite having 14 cars because it could be considered to be IMSA's all-star races (that happens to pay points). All GT race might be an option too. The one time in 2017 we saw DPI/GTLM/GTD it was a safety car calamity. And of course that was the year that the last turn crashed gave the victory to the #4 Corvette from the #3 car who got stuck. Granted it allow the BMW M6 to lead overall for 20 minutes.

Will withhold any further judgement until we get through that event in April then. Super Sebring is getting close! Really hope we avoid any rain for the qualifying sessions to get a good comparison of lap times to the classes. I think DPI will be closer to LMP1 this year than in 2019.
Old 6 Mar 2020, 19:56 (Ref:3962025)   #429
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You think all the leading world news organizations, Reuters, France 24, All Africa, BBC, Al Jazeera, Associated Press are reporting a virus outbreak as their top news story in order to tank the economy for political reasons?
Old 8 Mar 2020, 17:44 (Ref:3962345)   #430
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
You think all the leading world news organizations, Reuters, France 24, All Africa, BBC, Al Jazeera, Associated Press are reporting a virus outbreak as their top news story in order to tank the economy for political reasons?
News outlets report---and hype---any story which they think will generate traffic.

Look at hurricane reporting and the response thereto---all across the Southeast people panic and load up on supplies, buy up plywood, whatever ... yet the storms are the same as they have always been. 99 percent of the prep is pointless, and almost all of it is driven by the media hyping the "Biggest storm of the (insert time frame.)"

China has had some issues because their first response to any difficulty is denial---as with SARS. Arrest the people telling the truth, then blame them when the thing doesn't go away because the government told it to.

Everywhere else? It is more deadly than the flu, because there aren't a lot of medicines against it yet ... but it is still just a respiratory virus, and mostly the elderly or those with weak respiratory systems are at risk. The media reports say that many people will get the virus and have very mild symptoms .... but will spread it. So, even back-handedly, the media is admitting that the virus isn't all hat.

I don't think there is a concerted, global conspiracy to do anything ... because nobody can get along long enough or well enough to actually form global conspiracies. The kind of forces which think that way, don't trust each other and infighting weakens them. Still .... it doesn't take a concerted, well-planned conspiracy ...

Look at Christmas in the U.S. A lot of retailers absolutely depend upon Christmas to survive---they sell more in two months than in ten. The media hypes Christmas shopping, giving, buying, spending .... businesses spend to advertise, entertainment networks cash in .... is it a conspiracy?

Now for "Christmas" swap "hurricanes." Then look at how the Southeast responds---massive media hype, stores touting storm supplies, huge spending .... is it a conspiracy, or just a bunch of capitalists capitalizing, using the ubiquity of screens on connected devices to maximize profits?

yeah, there are viruses out there, constantly mutating, and popping up in forms we have never seen. Always have been, likely always will be. The difference is global interconnectedness through air travel .... and the ubiquity of connected devices, and people's dependence upon them.

I am no more suggesting that people ignore the corona virus than I am suggesting they ignore Christmas. I simply A.) don't care how others choose to live and B.) refuse to buy all the hype the screens tell me I must believe.

As in every case, others' mileage is guaranteed to vary.

Sorry to rant ... I have to work out of town and will have zero chance to even watch any of Super Sebring---after having attended so many 12-hour races and also the last WEC/IMSA event .... I won't even get to watch on my phone. I am bitter. Sorry to take it out on you guys.
Old 9 Mar 2020, 08:03 (Ref:3962414)   #431
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wow.
Old 9 Mar 2020, 12:27 (Ref:3962457)   #432
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Since alcohol kills the virus, Green Park will be the safest place in the world for those few days.
Old 9 Mar 2020, 20:52 (Ref:3962605)   #433
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Not to drag on about it, but the virus does seem to be decidedly deadlier than the regular flu, at least for now and the coming 12-18 months at least. Also, with an aging world population, where the toll is concentrated just makes things worse. Finally, it's having, and will continue to have, a real impact on global, just-in-time supply networks, and that has a real financial impact, as well as p*ssing off a lot of people who will have their day-to-day routine interrupted because of it.

Okay, now, yes, let's settle in for Sebring, though I'd like to take the current LMP1 BoP scheme out back and shoot it (and there aren't that many things out there that I'm seriously in favor of putting down).

I just need to pull up some old races and forget the rest of the world exists for a bit.
Old 9 Mar 2020, 21:36 (Ref:3962612)   #434
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Easy Mae.....you're gonna scare/offend many with your well thought out, intelligent, and logical pernt of view.....

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I just need to pull up some old races and forget the rest of the world exists for a bit.
Indeed. Now, if only my tapes ain't too oxidized and one of me ol' VCRs still works.......

Last edited by jimclark; 9 Mar 2020 at 21:45.

jimclark
Old 11 Mar 2020, 22:05 (Ref:3963170)   #435
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Starworks may be out of Sebring, DHH has withdrawn from the race citing infection concerns. You have to think he was bringing most of the budget and the Silver rating so the program just be scrambling to replace him
Old 11 Mar 2020, 23:54 (Ref:3963196)   #436
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And stay tuned for more this evening, fearless leader will be addressing the US at 9pm EDT. It sounds like a national disaster declaration will be issued and extensive travel restrictions could be in place. That could make the decision about races for NASCAR/IMSA/WEC.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 00:19 (Ref:3963201)   #437
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
That could be "fun". We'll just have to see.

Though I wonder how riled his base would get if they messed with NASCAR.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 00:24 (Ref:3963202)   #438
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Sebring 12 hour entry list at 37. Daytona grid minus #98 Aston. But with the whole covid19 deal. I wonder if there will be issues with drivers and what now. Could see drop outs especially in GTD and LMP2. Still we have seen a Sebring grid as low as 28 cars before and it was fine. What Sebring has going for it though is that this is not a stadium or an arena situation. So hopefully fan attendance will still be great. But
Old 12 Mar 2020, 01:20 (Ref:3963208)   #439
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Sounds like it may not be a racing weekend at Sebring. Travel from Europe is DONE for 30 days to the US excluding the UK. Not sure what that means exactly but guessing no race. At the very least some drivers have to still be at the home country or on vacation or at the factories. It HAS to make the racing tough if not impossible even for IMSA.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 01:34 (Ref:3963211)   #440
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Sounds like it may not be a racing weekend at Sebring. Travel from Europe is DONE for 30 days to the US excluding the UK. Not sure what that means exactly but guessing no race. At the very least some drivers have to still be at the home country or on vacation or at the factories. It HAS to make the racing tough if not impossible even for IMSA.
Bigger picture in mind. I think the travel ban is a good idea. Not sure what will happen to the race situation yet. The WEC race could be in danger perhaps. I think the 12 hours will go on..just speculation of course. I'm sure in a week or so we'll have an answer.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 01:39 (Ref:3963212)   #441
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bigger picture in mind. I think the travel ban is a good idea. Not sure what will happen to the race situation yet. The WEC race could be in danger perhaps. I think the 12 hours will go on..just speculation of course. I'm sure in a week or so we'll have an answer.
As I said over in the WEC thread if IMSA and ACO/FIA were smart they would look at combining the two races.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 01:47 (Ref:3963217)   #442
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
As I said over in the WEC thread if IMSA and ACO/FIA were smart they would look at combining the two races.
Well if "smart" they'd be doing that anyway! But for rationale reasons this hasn't happened.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 02:00 (Ref:3963222)   #443
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Well, can you exactly blame IMSA for not wanting their cars to be locked out of overall wins at one of their marque events?
Old 12 Mar 2020, 02:10 (Ref:3963229)   #444
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quite. They have a good event already.

But I feel we are going over old ground.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 02:29 (Ref:3963232)   #445
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Well, can you exactly blame IMSA for not wanting their cars to be locked out of overall wins at one of their marque events?
Maybe not lmp1 but if wec is cancelled, imsa could open up any lmp2 or gte team to enter the 12 hours if they wish
Old 12 Mar 2020, 02:56 (Ref:3963244)   #446
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
GTE should be an option.

I'm not sure how different the LMP2 spec is. IMSA slowed the class a bit though, I think, in order to create a little more gap to DPI.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 03:02 (Ref:3963247)   #447
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
GTE should be an option.

I'm not sure how different the LMP2 spec is. IMSA slowed the class a bit though, I think, in order to create a little more gap to DPI.
I think its mainly revs and a slight weight difference between IMSA and WEC P2's. So it would be an easy change over.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 03:17 (Ref:3963249)   #448
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Well except for tires, drivers, rules and officiating, yeah, otherwise it's fine. It's not an easy switch and doubt it can be done this quickly.

Sebring is done and dusted. And I think that's for both series. Just the sheer work involved before the racing even starts. Every overseas official is now out, and production crews are out, unless Hindy and Co leave tonight they're out, all extra flaggers are out and keep in mind there are a few other events going at the same time using flaggers including at Road Atlanta with the SCCA. There's MANY things beyond the cars and drivers and teams
Old 12 Mar 2020, 04:02 (Ref:3963259)   #449
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Like I said in the WEC thread, the restriction doesn't come in until midnight on Friday. Furthermore, it doesn't include the UK, so Hindy's still all good.
Old 12 Mar 2020, 04:13 (Ref:3963261)   #450
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Like I said in the WEC thread, the restriction doesn't come in until midnight on Friday. Furthermore, it doesn't include the UK, so Hindy's still all good.
Sorry, brain freeze at night over Hindy and Co but the rest still is a hella hurdle to over come given the notice. But then how do you determine travel? Could everyone get to the UK and then fly? It doesn't list anything regarding previous or screening. I doubt it will be so clear and denials of entry will be rampant.