Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Sep 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3926359)   #26
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not doing the "I told you so" dance, because I'm just an idiot on the internet. But I don't see why that specific kerb is the problem we're talking about. We put lumps on race tracks and are surprised that cars come off the ground when they hit those lumps at speed?

It's happened quite a few times. It's also why we don't have massive apex kerbs anymore - so cars can't hit them and launch. So we've moved the problem to corner exits instead?

Remove that kerb. Fine. But this isn't the first accident that's happened due to sausage kerbs. It's just the scariest. Remove them all.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3926360)   #27
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1, you are a joke.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3926361)   #28
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some close racing in Q3 there lol.

Weird!
Old 7 Sep 2019, 14:19 (Ref:3926362)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah I think I missed something, like an entire lap!
Old 7 Sep 2019, 14:23 (Ref:3926363)   #30
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
F1 may have reached peak farce.

Lewis seems to think its on purpose. But he hung back a lot longer than Ferrari. He was out of time before he even reached the end of S1.

Also, the TV director is playing with the sounds again. The boos are being picked up by the microphone and he's playing with the volume of external mics.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 14:38 (Ref:3926365)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
F1 is ace.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 14:48 (Ref:3926366)   #32
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what's the solution....make Q3 super pole?
Old 7 Sep 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3926367)   #33
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
So what's the solution....make Q3 super pole?
Back of the grid for any car involved.

Back in the 00s, Alonso was penalised for daring to be within 3 seconds of another car at Monza. Now it appears everyone wants to be there.

Ferrari made the biggest mistake. Sainz and McLaren had it worked out long before everyone else, and they were behind Ferrari at that point. Ferrari could've should've would've made it.

Everyone else was out of qualifying before they even reached Curve Grande.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 15:59 (Ref:3926373)   #34
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Back of the grid for them all, so Max is on pole!
Old 7 Sep 2019, 16:33 (Ref:3926379)   #35
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Back of the grid for them all, so Max is on pole!
He didn't even set a time! Why should he even be allowed to race?

Richard
Old 7 Sep 2019, 16:50 (Ref:3926380)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's Max. And there are only 20 cars.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3926382)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Leclerc got round in time to start a lap. He kept in front of his team mate to do so. However as no one else got a chance he didn’t go through with it as he was guaranteed pole (assuming Sainz couldn’t beat his time).

Hamilton hinted Ferrari caused all this, although I think the worst bit was very early in the lap in the first chicane with the confusion of the Renault going straight on and the RacingPoint not wanting to get past him.

Complete madness.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 17:55 (Ref:3926390)   #38
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Leclerc got round in time to start a lap. He kept in front of his team mate to do so. However as no one else got a chance he didn’t go through with it as he was guaranteed pole (assuming Sainz couldn’t beat his time).

Hamilton hinted Ferrari caused all this, although I think the worst bit was very early in the lap in the first chicane with the confusion of the Renault going straight on and the RacingPoint not wanting to get past him.

Complete madness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UTD-AqCn-s

Did Leclerc make it? The timing screen showed zero and a chequered flag before it changed his display. Certainly the red lights were on before his time started.

As for Lewis, he and Bottas were happily sitting at the back of the queue and making no effort to make their way through it. They still hadn't gotten on the gas when Ferrari and Sainz took off.

I'm not sure there should be penalties. It's kinda self-penalising isn't it? The people who were stupid didn't get a lap in.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 18:06 (Ref:3926393)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
This was based on all the other drivers getting a chequered by their name and he (and Sainz) didn’t. Crofty certainly shouted he didn’t make it, but I ignored that!

Although itisI certainly acted like he didn’t make it.
Attached Thumbnails
6278BB7B-4739-4F0B-AB9D-8ECA34E6DD76.jpeg  
Old 7 Sep 2019, 18:35 (Ref:3926400)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I missed watching qualifying live, read the report on Autosport's website, read the comments here and finally watched qualifying on C4. What a joke, all jostling for position but any position, other than being at the front of the field and timing each other out in the process.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 18:38 (Ref:3926403)   #41
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
This was based on all the other drivers getting a chequered by their name and he (and Sainz) didn’t. Crofty certainly shouted he didn’t make it, but I ignored that!

Although itisI certainly acted like he didn’t make it.
Well spotted! I was going by the times at the 0, and Sainz was the only one to have been updated on the screen when the counter hit 0. I wonder how that's calculated.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
Old 7 Sep 2019, 18:49 (Ref:3926407)   #42
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well pathetic sums up that nonsense with all the penalties handed out recently then that should result in numerous ones, people paid good money to watch quali and those idiots made that a waste of money. lets us see it the stewards put people to the back of the grid.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 18:55 (Ref:3926409)   #43
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Just watched highlights. What a farce!

Haven’t heard of any penalties? Vettel definitely looked 4 wheels off on his first Q3 flier (on the slo-mo replay).

And that kerb the F3 car hit earlier appears to have been a separate plastic ‘sleeping policeman’, and from what was said on C4, it was not properly secured, or it caught on the underside of the car......
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:05 (Ref:3926413)   #44
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Hamilton hinted Ferrari caused all this,
Ha, well... I can roll my eyes at that. Totally self inflicted by all the teams who sat parked in the garage. Mercedes included.

Quote:
although I think the worst bit was very early in the lap in the first chicane with the confusion of the Renault going straight on and the RacingPoint not wanting to get past him.
When that happened and he took the escape road, I thought that was glorious. Sadly it didn't work. I wish it had as I thought it was a brilliant move. But because everyone insisted on not being first in line it just extended the delay and putting everyone at risk.

Quote:
Complete madness.
And we thought F1 was predictable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm not sure there should be penalties. It's kinda self-penalising isn't it? The people who were stupid didn't get a lap in.
Agree. Outside of Leclerc/Ferrari, I don't think anyone came out ahead and I don't think Ferrari was trying to create this problem. I think it just mostly played out as we saw it. I think EVERYONE was looking to improve on their earlier time. I think we are unlikely to see this happen to this level again. All the Q3 teams looked like idiots at the end of the day.

Quote:
Crofty certainly shouted he didn’t make it, but I ignored that!
Sorry, I just have to say I enjoy any comment that speaks to Crofty and his shouting. To this day, if my wife is around when I watch a race and he starts shouting (many times for no apparent reason) and she just says... Why is he shouting?

There is the medical condition named "Pseudobulbar Affect" where you laugh or cry at inappropriate moments. I think Crofty is the poster child for the shouting variant of that.

Richard
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3926414)   #45
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post

Haven’t heard of any penalties? Vettel definitely looked 4 wheels off on his first Q3 flier (on the slo-mo replay).
Vettel's verdict is in from the stewards... No action, imagery was inconclusive so benefit of the doubt...
https://www.fia.com/file/94210/download
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3926420)   #46
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isn't it all moot, anyway, as Leclerc actually set the pole time on his first flying lap right at the beginning of the session?

And I believe that was without the benefit of a tow, as well!
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3926431)   #47
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Hulkenberg Sainz and Stroll all given reprimands but no penalties for the Q3 go slow

Hulkenberg decision
Stroll decision
sainz Decision

Quote:
The Stewards strongly recommend that the FIA expedite a solution to this type of situation.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3926432)   #48
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
That seems amazing after all the penalties imposed before, the farce of Q3 appears to give no actual penalties very strange
Old 7 Sep 2019, 20:11 (Ref:3926440)   #49
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
That seems amazing after all the penalties imposed before, the farce of Q3 appears to give no actual penalties very strange
Arguably no actual rules were broken.

I don't think it occurred to anyone that deliberately taking the chicane escape road slalom could be an advantage so it's not forbidden (even if it could be proved that it was deliberate rather than a result of a braking error).

There is a rule about driving too slowly but that's a safety issue and no-one's safety was compromised.

Just a weird set of circumstances which the rules didn't anticipate, as the stewards' suggestion to the FIA seems to confirm.
Old 7 Sep 2019, 20:16 (Ref:3926441)   #50
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Q3 was not a problem for me. The last few minutes were just as entertaining as everyone making a blast for it. It doesn’t require the FIA to do anything (which they would surely mess up anyway). The teams have learnt their lesson and it won’t happen again.

Vettel dodging the bullet looked a bit dodgy. Stewards gave him “the benefit of the doubt”, meaning, stewards wouldn’t dare penalise a Ferrari at Monza.