Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Nov 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3860354)   #1
martiansunrise
Rookie

martiansunrise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MGB - FIA HTP and Engine Spec

Hello all,

I am after a bit of advice, if possible.

I am building a '63 B to FIA App K spec. It is at the rolling shell stage and we are looking into engine/box setup. There is a lot out there, but lots of it is confusing/contradictory/guarded secrets!

Am I right in thinking that to get the HTP, the car MUST have the 3 BRG/3 synchro gearbox? How thorough are the inspections?

It seems that lots of people run the 5 BRG/4 synchro (for various reasons - £$£, reliability, mothballing the 3BRG, etc.) and no-one bothers too much. is it just that a blind eye is turned once the car has its papers?

Do I just run the 3BRG and hope for the best? Fit the std engine for the inspection then swap?

I think i know what the 'correct' answer is, but I am after some practical advice that would avoid the cost of building two engines, and shelving the 3BRG once certified.

I have one of each of the 3/5BRG and the 3/4 synchro, as well as a later Pete Burgess race head.

I know the humble B has probably been discussed to death, but there is a wealth of knowledge here for a novice and I would appreciate any advice.

Richie.

Last edited by martiansunrise; 1 Nov 2018 at 13:34.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 14:11 (Ref:3860358)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to the forum.

You can run a 18GB 5 bearing engine because they were introduced in 1964/65. But if you are building to pre 1964 then you need to use the 3 bearing version.

You have to run a three syncro gearbox set up.

Engines can be overbored to 1840 although I believe now you can go to 1853 which is 1.2 mm over bore (worth checking).

Be careful with the HTP, some organisers are taking them more seriously now, so swapping parts after the HTP is issued can lead to lots of red marks on said document.
Old 1 Nov 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3860387)   #3
martiansunrise
Rookie

Hi Peter.

Thanks.

I guess there is no getting around needing the early engine and box to get my badge.

We just have most of the go fast bits for the four synchro and would prob be racing in a series that would not be super strict (to begin with) and allow the later lump and box

has anyone got their ticket with a stock engine in place?
Old 1 Nov 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3860392)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But surely you will build to pre 65. You only need pre 64 for certain series. The GTS CC series now caters for FIA MGBs whereas previously they ran 1950s on stickier tyres. Next year it's FIA on Dunlops.

There's an FIA section in the MGBCV8 championship.

You've got the HSCC GTs and there's GTSCC which runs five rounds per year. Not to mention Peter Auto and others. The Spa 6hrs requires an HTP but the Spa 3hrs doesn't.
Old 2 Nov 2018, 12:30 (Ref:3860549)   #5
martiansunrise
Rookie

ah, okay.

the car can be built to 65, even though it is 63.

time to find an 18gb block then.

thanks (I will no doubt be back)