Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Nov 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3862759)   #301
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
That's exactly the way I saw it during the race - Ocon had massive overspeed on the straight and led (briefly) approaching the corner, falling back by a few feet as he braked and turned into turn 1, but remaining broadly alongside into turn 2.
Incorrect. He was behind by quite some margin and had absolutely no reason to plow into the side of the Red Bull.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 14:41 (Ref:3862760)   #302
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That's exactly the way I saw it during the race - Ocon had massive overspeed on the straight and led (briefly) approaching the corner, falling back by a few feet as he braked and turned into turn 1, but remaining broadly alongside into turn 2.

When I'm racing, if someone comes up quickly on me, but I'm able to get into a corner marginally better by being inside, I don't immediately turn into the next corner assuming that car has gone away....

This isn't hindsight, its plain common sense.

And the expression on Lewis's face when asked in a post-race interview whether he would have taken the same line as Max did was classic as he tried to come up with a polite response....eventually just grinning and saying ..."no"...

His wasn't hindsight either - although he doubtless couldn't believe his luck as he watched Max throw away his race win through pure hubris.

this 100 percent

but hey its youth over experience, its something Lewis has had to learn too. only difference is, lewis learnt...max seems somewhat stubborn
Old 12 Nov 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3862763)   #303
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
Incorrect. He failed to overtake in turn 1 (as explained by the stewards) and was well behind before turn 2. So he just drove straight into the side of Verstappen. Here's Charlie Whiting explaining why:

There's none so blind as those that cannot see, they say......

As Turn 1 follows immediately into Turn 2, I find it somewhat difficult to comprehend how Ocon was "well behind before Turn 2" when the visual evidence as shown above clearly show Ocon alongside but maybe 1/3 back as Verstappens quicker line through Turn 1 allows him to claw back the position. Verstappen could (and clearly in a sensible world should) have maintained his race-leading position by taking a wider line through 2.

As for idiotic conspiracy theories.........
Old 12 Nov 2018, 14:50 (Ref:3862764)   #304
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Incorrect. He was behind by quite some margin and had absolutely no reason to plow into the side of the Red Bull.
incorrect. he was alongside.

photos don't lie. there is damage to Maxs car under the B of Bull, so Ocon was at least half way alongside at the point of contact. if this was 2 people fighting for position, Max would have been penilised for turning in on Ocon.

as for B and Bull.....well il let your argument fill in the last 4 letters ;-P

https://twitter.com/OconEsteban/stat...34110467682309
Old 12 Nov 2018, 14:54 (Ref:3862765)   #305
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
There's none so blind as those that cannot see, they say......

As Turn 1 follows immediately into Turn 2, I find it somewhat difficult to comprehend how Ocon was "well behind before Turn 2" when the visual evidence as shown above clearly show Ocon alongside but maybe 1/3 back as Verstappens quicker line through Turn 1 allows him to claw back the position. Verstappen could (and clearly in a sensible world should) have maintained his race-leading position by taking a wider line through 2.
Again, incorrect. As Whiting explains, Ocon could and should not have been fighting. He was behind coming into turn 2, and more importantly, a lap behind. This was not a fight for position. You and others seem to consistently forget that.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 14:57 (Ref:3862766)   #306
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Again, incorrect. As Whiting explains, Ocon could and should not have been fighting. He was behind coming into turn 2, and more importantly, a lap behind. This was not a fight for position. You and others seem to consistently forget that.
Not sure where Lancs was incorrect there. he stated Ocon was alongside (which he was) and Max could have given more room (which he could have)
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:00 (Ref:3862768)   #307
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Come on - this arguing black is white just for the sake of it is getting tedious. By definition "quite some margin" means "marginal". Taking chances on a marginal call is risky. Verstappen took the risk and lost. Needlessly.

I'm sure, and hope, he'll be a champion some day.....but if he doesn't grow up soon LeClerc will beat him to it.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:04 (Ref:3862769)   #308
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Come on - this arguing black is white just for the sake of it is getting tedious. By definition "quite some margin" means "marginal". Taking chances on a marginal call is risky. Verstappen took the risk and lost. Needlessly.
It is indeed getting tedious, but that's what happens when you're grasping at straws to make a pretty meaningless point for whatever reason. The stewards disagree with you, as does Charlie Whiting as does yours truly. And have given excellent reasons why.

Verstappen did not take a chance or a risk. No driver should expect a lapped car to fight for position. Verstappen did exactly what he was supposed to do. Ocon is the only one who took a unjustifiable risk and Verstappen paid the price for it. I will remind you once again Ocon was penalized with a 10 second stop and go which is the harshest penalty short of exclusion. Charlie Whiting has succinctly explained why.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:12 (Ref:3862772)   #309
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
It is indeed getting tedious, but that's what happens when you're grasping at straws to make a pretty meaningless point for whatever reason. The stewards disagree with you, as does Charlie Whiting as does yours truly. And have given excellent reasons why.

Verstappen did not take a chance or a risk. No driver should expect a lapped car to fight for position. Verstappen did exactly what he was supposed to do. Ocon is the only one who took a unjustifiable risk and Verstappen paid the price for it. I will remind you once again Ocon was penalized with a 10 second stop and go which is the harshest penalty short of exclusion. Charlie Whiting has succinctly explained why.
don't think ive seen Lancs or anyone here saying Ocon didn't deserve a penalty, he clearly did. but your black and white argument painting Max as completely blameless is ludicrous.

Fact is, he could have given space, he knew Ocon was quicker and alongside into turn 1/2, and was in tyre protection mode. there was ZERO point in risking a situation with a driver that had nothing to lose and risk coming off worse, which he did.

This is exactly the point that Lewis and others were making to Max after the race.....and I hope for his own career that he starts to take that advice onboard. Kids got immense talent, but needs some racing savvy to maximise it
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3862773)   #310
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
another aspect of this (which i dont think i have seen mentioned here yet) is that a backmarker decided to insert his nose into a title battle. not RB's battle per say and perhaps a forgone conclusion for Merc, but still a potential Max win could have extended the constructors to the last race of the season.

there is an etiquette here that exists beyond the rule book imo.

that said, the question about how Max should have handled it is for me somewhat of a separate issue. maybe it 's just hindsight for us fans, but in the moment Max should have had a better understanding of the physics involved.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:15 (Ref:3862774)   #311
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It is indeed getting tedious, but that's what happens when you're grasping at straws to make a pretty meaningless point for whatever reason.
Weehee!! We agree on something at last!
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:17 (Ref:3862776)   #312
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
another aspect of this (which i dont think i have seen mentioned here yet) is that a backmarker decided to insert his nose into a title battle. not RB's battle per say and perhaps a forgone conclusion for Merc, but still a potential Max win could have extended the constructors to the last race of the season.

that said, the question about how Max should have handled it is for me somewhat of a separate issue. maybe it 's just hindsight for us fans, but in the moment Max should have had a better understanding of the physics involved.
not really. had lewis finished second it would have been enough for Merc to win the WCC.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:19 (Ref:3862777)   #313
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
maybe it 's just hindsight for us fans,
You're on to something! It's called hindsight bias, or historian's fallacy:

Quote:
Hindsight bias, also known as the knew-it-all-along effect or creeping determinism, is the inclination, after an event has occurred, to see the event as having been predictable, despite there having been little or no objective basis for predicting it
Quote:
The historian's fallacy is an informal fallacy that occurs when one assumes that decision makers of the past viewed events from the same perspective and having the same information as those subsequently analyzing the decision.
This is what leads people to making meaningless statements like 'he could have given space'. It's like blaming someone for getting hit by lightning for not moving out of the way in time.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3862780)   #314
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, except the "knew-it-all-along" idea falls apart when it's a common event. Drivers learn to pick and choose their battles. Lewis did, and commented on it. But I guess Lewis "just knew it all along".

It's like blaming someone for being hit by lightning when they decide to take shelter under a tree.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:23 (Ref:3862781)   #315
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
You're on to something! It's called hindsight bias, or historian's fallacy:

This is what leads people to making meaningless statements like 'he could have given space'. It's like blaming someone for getting hit by lightning for not moving out of the way in time.
If you knew where the lightning was going to strike then youd have moved out of the way though

Max knew Ocon was there and still chose to risk it and turn in.

Instead, Max should have thought about it properly and not stood in an empty field during a thunderstorm, and completely avoid the situation

That's what we call experience and common sense
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3862782)   #316
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

But Ocon un-lapping himself was not interfering with any championship points, so the fact that he was a backmarker doesn't really enter into the affair.

It was the immaturity of Verstappen that caused the coming together. A win is a win regardless of how many of the field you have lapped - one less would not have devalued the achievement of crossing the line first at the chequered flag.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3862783)   #317
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
If you knew where the lightning was going to strike then youd have moved out of the way though
I love that this needs explained. It's remarkable that we're at the point of a discussion that somebody needs told to not stand outside in a lightning storm, lol.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:24 (Ref:3862784)   #318
GingerPixel
Racer

GingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGingerPixel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ocon probably should have backed out a bit when trying to unlap the leader.

Verstappen probably should have presumed that Ocon's car hadn't magically vanished when he turned in.

Everyone blames everyone. Max seems like a bit of a bellend.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:27 (Ref:3862785)   #319
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I love that this needs explained. It's remarkable that we're at the point of a discussion that somebody needs told to not stand outside in a lightning storm, lol.
indeed :-)
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3862786)   #320
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
Ocon probably should have backed out a bit when trying to unlap the leader.

Verstappen probably should have presumed that Ocon's car hadn't magically vanished when he turned in.

Everyone blames everyone. Max seems like a bit of a bellend.

BINGO
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:28 (Ref:3862787)   #321
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Yeah, except the "knew-it-all-along" idea falls apart when it's a common event.
Which this is not. Backmarkers do NOT generally fight with the leaders. Read Whiting's explanation.

It's come to the point where people are just making stuff up out of thin air
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3862790)   #322
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's like blaming someone for getting hit by lightning for not moving out of the way in time.
Not really - it's like blaming someone for getting hit by lightning when they continue to play golf with metal clubs during a thunderstorm.
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:30 (Ref:3862791)   #323
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
Which this is not. Backmarkers do NOT generally fight with the leaders. Read Whiting's explanation.
but they do unlap themselves on a regular basis. fighting takes 2 drivers, ocon went to overtake, both had 2 choices, keep their foot in or back off...neither wanted to yield, the responsibility falls more on Ocons side to back out, hence the penalty, but purely from a self preservation POV Max should have given more space
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:31 (Ref:3862792)   #324
ascarracinguk
Veteran

Quote:
It's come to the point where people are just making stuff up out of thin air
Prey tell, what bits have people made up?
Old 12 Nov 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3862793)   #325
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Not really - it's like blaming someone for getting hit by lightning when they continue to play golf with metal clubs during a thunderstorm.
Ok, thanks for that completely irrelevant post once again. But for the sake of argument: there was no thunderstorm nor metal clubs in this scenario.