Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 6 Nov 2019, 18:15 (Ref:3938909)   #1
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Sebring Encore 2019

This race is interesting this year since we have legit GTD entries now. Especially the Sellers/Snow Lambo. Madison Snow's FIA status of silver is being recognized since this is not an official GTD race but rather GT3. Maybe some of the GTD BoP will be removed for this race? I think in March the LMP3 class dealt with some weather issues during their qualifying, but looking up practice 2, they ran laps in the 1 min 58 range. GTD cars with pros can run 1 min 59 I think. I bet they can run further on fuel too in addition to having better driver line ups. Would love to see a GTD beat the LMP3s. If rain is involved it could make their changes even better to win overall. So I do hope to follow this one on Sunday for sure.

But I agree with Mr. Dagys during his S365 podcast this week, he is not sure if there is much of a future for this event. However it could be a possibility for a potential endurance at Indy one day. Along with the potential for SRO or Creventic I guess. I know that is getting talk since Mr. Penske mentioned wanting to have a 24 hour race at IMS now.
Old 6 Nov 2019, 19:16 (Ref:3938918)   #2
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
But I agree with Mr. Dagys during his S365 podcast this week, he is not sure if there is much of a future for this event. However it could be a possibility for a potential endurance at Indy one day. Along with the potential for SRO or Creventic I guess. I know that is getting talk since Mr. Penske mentioned wanting to have a 24 hour race at IMS now.
I could see that MAYBE in the LeMans break but they surely can't run it after the season and weren't the GTD teams some of the loudest complainers about season cost? Would they give up race(s) to fit this in their schedule? I think they would have to give up Daytona and maybe Sebring for another enduro. I know for me Sebring is the better race and better track, Daytona gets dull mid-race and I lose interest until the last couple hours. I'm not sure I could watch 8 hours at Indy, even with a full Indy 33 car field. The SRO field by that point in the season could look dreadful there, and IMSA GTD/LMP3 would be as bad I think.

It seems like there is an ownership draw for more events at Indy per season but is there really a fan demand for it?? It does not appear there is for stock cars, I wouldn't be surprised if more paying customers were there for the Indy GP than the Brickyard and the ratings were dismal by Cup standards. I know they want F1 back but was it that great a race the last time around? It's not a great track and COTA is a better show of open wheel cars on a road course. I liked the timing as a few years it was the afternoon of LeMans weekend which usually falls around my birthday so 2 race weekend. But with the new cooperation I think the 24th weekend each year is now F1/FE free, supposedly at least.
Old 6 Nov 2019, 19:44 (Ref:3938923)   #3
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I could see that MAYBE in the LeMans break but they surely can't run it after the season and weren't the GTD teams some of the loudest complainers about season cost? Would they give up race(s) to fit this in their schedule? I think they would have to give up Daytona and maybe Sebring for another enduro. I know for me Sebring is the better race and better track, Daytona gets dull mid-race and I lose interest until the last couple hours. I'm not sure I could watch 8 hours at Indy, even with a full Indy 33 car field. The SRO field by that point in the season could look dreadful there, and IMSA GTD/LMP3 would be as bad I think.

It seems like there is an ownership draw for more events at Indy per season but is there really a fan demand for it?? It does not appear there is for stock cars, I wouldn't be surprised if more paying customers were there for the Indy GP than the Brickyard and the ratings were dismal by Cup standards. I know they want F1 back but was it that great a race the last time around? It's not a great track and COTA is a better show of open wheel cars on a road course. I liked the timing as a few years it was the afternoon of LeMans weekend which usually falls around my birthday so 2 race weekend. But with the new cooperation I think the 24th weekend each year is now F1/FE free, supposedly at least.

1. Agree that COTA is a better circuit than the Indy road course from a pure racing stand point

2. Events at the Indy speedway other than the 500 have not really established itself as popular event. So fan demand is low indeed. Mr. Penske I guess thinks his organization can create that demand though. I guess it will be a goal of theirs

3. Sebring Encore will be a different watch, may not be used to see a race there with empty spectator sections

4. The middle of the night at Daytona 24 CAN be dull if there is a frequent number of safety car periods. But pretty darn cool if you can get multiple hours of green racing. If you get that, then that is when you see some reliability issues and mistakes occur.
Old 10 Nov 2019, 20:05 (Ref:3939775)   #4
MaskedRacer
Veteran

The GTD cars/drivers/teams are clearly of a higher quality than the LMP3 cars. Don't like one bit that IMSA manipulated the rules to have LMP3 take every restart (and start) in front of the GTD cars. Big thumbs down to IMSA on that one. Its the only thing that made this race worth watching.
Old 11 Nov 2019, 05:29 (Ref:3939879)   #5
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.i.P. Dr. Tim M. George
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/george...ebring-encore/
Old 11 Nov 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3939968)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Man, I just saw a tweet from Shea Adam on this and what a shame! Tim seemed like he was one of the "good guys".

Old 15 Nov 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3940815)   #7
Gatorboy
Rookie

United States
Lakeland, Florida
Gatorboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myself and my sons have gone to both of the Encores. This yr there was by far more people. I know this yr the weather was great on Sunday. They also opened the infield to camping and parking. Something that was not done last yr. I hope that the event returns as its a great little get away for a few days and gives us something to look forward to in November. RIP Dr. Tim we had just spoken to him in his trailer a few hours before he was a great man and always made time for kids to ask a 100 questions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3027.jpg  

Last edited by Gatorboy; 15 Nov 2019 at 19:28.