Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 29 Jan 2003, 14:01 (Ref:489425)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who sanctions vintage meets in North America?

Question says it all, really. I've heard it's a bit of a hodgepodge, but never really delved into specifics. This year I'll be attending Mosport's event (I'm a neophyte), and wanted to get a handle on the setup.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 29 Jan 2003, 15:46 (Ref:489542)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sportscar Vintage Racing Association...
http://www.svra.com/

... and Historic Sportscar Racing...
http://www.hsrrace.com/

... are the big players. Canada also has the Vintage Automobile Racing Association of Canada.
http://www.varac.ca/

It's not so much racing as a glorified track day with trophies. Guys here just don't get out and flog their trailer babies.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:10 (Ref:489817)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I have to disagree strongly with Lee's statement about glorified track days. While some fall into that category, it certainly is not the majority in the three groups mentioned above.

In addition to these groups, there is VSCCA Vintage Sports Car Club of America on the east coast, where the cars are a bit older and Lee's statement of touring is a bit more appropriate.

HMSA Historic Motor Sports Assoc runs a number of West coast events, including Monterey, and recently the Lime Rock event on the east coast.

There is also SOVERN, VSCCA, CARS (Classic Auto Racing Society), CHR (only run the Chicago Historics at Elkhart), CVAR Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing , CVRC Calgary Vintage Race Club, HARE - Historical Auto Racing Events Inc, Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing, SOVREN -Society of Vintage Racing Enthusiasts, SVAR Steamboat Vintage Auto Racing, VARA -Vintage Auto Racing Assoc. , VRC of BC - Vintage Racing Club of British Columbia, VDCA.... hmmm seems like in some areas there is one for every track.

HSR and SVRA are actually one entity though, same group, though they run two sets of rules, with the HSR rules being more liberal and the racing a bit more fierce.