Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: who's fault
whincup 7 17.95%
both 17 43.59%
winterbottom 15 38.46%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Mar 2008, 06:52 (Ref:2154400)   #1
skaife2
Rookie

Australia
melbourne
skaife2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
who's fault??

who is in the wrong. whincup or winterbottom?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 07:02 (Ref:2154404)   #2
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i think the issue is there were three crimes.

First Frosty did not allow enough room for Whincup and ran him off the road.
Second Whincup contacted with Frosty by cutting accross him and
Third the officials made a poor decision on making a decision without all the facts (im bot sure this would have happened ina normal round though)
Old 17 Mar 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2154437)   #3
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I havn't seen it, so i can't comment. Anyone know if its on youtube or something?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2154540)   #4
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I commented in the race thread. Definitely Winterbottom's fault IFF there were lines present... but you would have to give both drivers the benefit of the doubt and call it a racing incident. Not that it mattered at the end.

I think Whincup is too much the gentleman to concede he was at fault. Roland Dane wasn't as self introverted... but this time I actually agree with the English tight-wad.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2154562)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for me it was like the Courtney Lowndes situation and should have resaulted in the same decision.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 22:39 (Ref:2155156)   #6
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have not seen it either.

Any footage anywhere of this or dumbells crash??
Old 18 Mar 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2155224)   #7
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whincup was gracious enough to give Winterbottom enough room on the inside of turn four. Winterbottom had plenty of time to give Whincup more room to get back on the track on the exit of the turn but Mark obviously wanted to fight to the death. Not smart.

I was hoping Thomas Mezera's refreshing common sense approach would bring some sanity back into V8 Supercar, but his judgment on this one defies logic.

How is this incident any different to the Lowndes/Courtney one in Adelaide? Is it because both crashed in that incident? Are decisions going to be based on who crashes and who continues?

I seem to remember reading that Mezera didn't penalize Russell Ingall for hitting Skaife at Eastern Creek partly (it seems) because 'he was going to pass him eventually any way'. That is pure madness if true!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 01:26 (Ref:2155256)   #8
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought Frosty was being stubborn & ran Whincup wider than necessary. Thus when Jamie tried to get back on the race line he made contact with Frosty.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 08:55 (Ref:2155377)   #9
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thought as it happened was that Winterbottom was at fault and watching it several more times didn't change that view.

I thought Wincup taking the blame showed his character, which is has to be said is better than many.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 09:10 (Ref:2155387)   #10
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought they both pushed too hard, and either one of them could have backed off and saved a lot of grief.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:27 (Ref:2156096)   #11
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Chris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChris - Melb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it's only a small sample size, but it is interesting that in this poll over 80% of people (at time of writing) think that there was a shared responsibility for the incident or it was Winterbottom fault.

Yet the media mainly hasn't looked beyond it being Whincups fault entirely. Perhaps Jamie shouldn't have said anything before watching a replay?

Or is it just that Vodafone drivers are considered fair game by all and sundry?
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:37 (Ref:2156106)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well kudos to Jamie for saying what he did and it shows how honest he can be but my reply would of been "i havn't seen a replay yet so i can't really say who is at fault at the moment".
Old 19 Mar 2008, 00:52 (Ref:2156115)   #13
Chris - Melb
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
I agree.

I also think he set the agenda by saying 'I must have done something wrong' or words to that effect. The media latched onto that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
well kudos to Jamie for saying what he did and it shows how honest he can be but my reply would of been "i havn't seen a replay yet so i can't really say who is at fault at the moment".
Old 19 Mar 2008, 03:19 (Ref:2156174)   #14
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For sure it was Winterbottoms fault. Whincup needed to turn left to get back on the track, otherwise he'd have run out of road!

I couldn't understand why Whincup said he should take part of the blame. As pwr fan said, he should have waited for the replay to say he was wrong... I guess a non-championship round is a good opportunity to make a statement as he did.

Last edited by RotorFan; 19 Mar 2008 at 03:24.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.