Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 28 Apr 2012, 15:48 (Ref:3066575)   #1
brian_bury
Racer

England
crumpsall manchester
brian_bury should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a day flagging

my age catching me up fast i found that with a fall at work causing me to hurt my back i could not do my normal duty as IO, so opted to flag for the day so i signed on at bottom of race control and was put on Dear Leap oh what a joy "you cant get any closer to the race" My fellow flag marshal Chris "cant remember his last name " its my age lol but we had a great day chatting and putting the world to rights , only being interrupted once by a red flag that i missed , but found that the circuit flags are in need of a good wash this was reported to the chef marshal "Margret Simpson but beside this little problem we had a great day so i hope that the next time i find im on flag that the circuit flags have been washed , or i might get some of my own again. anyone know a good web site for flags or selling a set but i am defo going to do more flagging

and thank you chris for a great day
Old 29 Apr 2012, 04:28 (Ref:3066758)   #2
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find flagging to be great, not only are you closer to the action you have something to do just about all the time, its great
Old 29 Apr 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3067100)   #3
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had my first experience of flagging today and I have to say I absolutely loved it, I just can't wait to do it in a little less wind and rain
Old 29 Apr 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3067135)   #4
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i bought my flags from Demon Tweeks, but there are a few places which sell flags. DT are expensive - i got them from there as mine were a christmas present from my family i got a flag each from my folks and my in-laws and sister and sending them a link to Dt was the easiest way of sorting it.

Tho they are nice as they are nylon - so light weight and dont soak up the water when it rains.
Old 29 Apr 2012, 20:56 (Ref:3067138)   #5
chrisjt1985
Racer

England
Bury
chrisjt1985 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postie View Post
I had my first experience of flagging today and I have to say I absolutely loved it, I just can't wait to do it in a little less wind and rain
Same here! Don't know where you were but Donington was very windy, to the point that as I was putting one of the flags back in, the weight at the end flicked up and hit me next to my eye! No damage done thankfully. I am think skulled!!! Still can't wait to try it in dryer conditions and hopefully somewhere that there is a possibility of being able to Blue Flag. There was no chance where I was today! Especially with the wind and rain!!! (My PC's words, but when I tried I echo them.)
Old 29 Apr 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3067141)   #6
brian_bury
Racer

England
crumpsall manchester
thank you will look at the web site
Old 30 Apr 2012, 09:59 (Ref:3067345)   #7
Postie
Rookie

Wales
Leicester
Postie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at post 21 sort of opposite you, plenty of yellow and blue flags to play with and at 1 point I thought I was going to be flying when the wind took hold
Old 1 May 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3067991)   #8
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent
Racer

Scotland
Crewe
Mike 'Bean' Broadbent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

My flags came from Hampshire Flags, as a present. Ordered on website and arrived very quickly. Lightweight nylon flags with long handles, easy to wash. Good strong colours as well, no question, is it green or yellow being shown. Well worth having your own flags if you intend to flag on a regular basis.
Old 1 May 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3068140)   #9
brian_bury
Racer

England
crumpsall manchester
thank you will look at the web page
Old 2 May 2012, 17:20 (Ref:3068379)   #10
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I made my own set of flags back in 1992 (is that really 20 years ago?) and they have been referred to as "girlie". Having worn those out I got a replacement set as a Birthday present !!!! but no idea where from.

My basic principle is that flags need to have light handles and light material - which you don't get from circuit flags, usually broom handles and heavyweight cotton. Handle should only reach up to your elbow.

If you are serious about flagging, then I would recommend getting your own set.
Old 3 May 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3068971)   #11
brian_bury
Racer

England
crumpsall manchester
just ordered a set from hampshire 1x blue 1xred 1xgreen 1xwhite 1xred+yellow and 2 yellows with poles so if you see some very clean flags at oulton park that will be me thank you all
Old 3 May 2012, 20:16 (Ref:3068979)   #12
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having used a set of flags made by a company called Race Flags, I personally think they have never actually waved one.
Old 3 May 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3068995)   #13
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by haystacks View Post
Having used a set of flags made by a company called Race Flags, I personally think they have never actually waved one.
Agreed, I think a lot of us have used flags made by Race Flags! Race Flags are pretty much supplied to a lot circuits and I don't know about anyone else but heavyweight cotton like Shelagh mentions is the last material i'd think of to make flags. Rockingham have nice flags, I like Rockingham!

I don't know who they managed to convince but Race Flags have managed to flog hundreds of flags to the circuits, me thinks they've not managed to sell a lot to marshals directly...
Old 3 May 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3069005)   #14
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
My basic principle is that flags need to have light handles and light material - which you don't get from circuit flags, usually broom handles and heavyweight cotton. Handle should only reach up to your elbow.
What I don't understand is the tendency for flags to be made with handles even that long. I've always flagged by "choking up" on the handle almost to the flag. (At Le Mans that means almost 3' from the top!)

A flag with a long handle is hard to control in high winds/when buffeted by car slipstream or rain -- has a tendency to become a coloured stick. My favourite flag sets have handles only one handwidth plus an inch or two extra past the bottom of the flag. Blue also has a knot in the outside top corner, so you can catch your non-handle hand in the pocket it makes to snap it open and shut quickly.

I've never seen cotton flags in the last ten years over here. They're all synthetic. Nicest ones are lightweight ripstop nylon.

keke
Old 13 May 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3073542)   #15
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Flags

As a dedicated 'clubbie' flag marshal for the last 10 years been using a light weight set bought second hand. They are finally showing their age.

Decided to treat myself to a new custom made set. Looked at flag manufacturers but decided that if going to spend my hard earn cash might as well make them bigger than the MSA & FIA minimum so hopefully will be able to use them for many years to come. Using lightweight waterproof sail material, my local sail maker is doing that part.

Using Light weight 15mm dowling poles but not sure what length to make them. I don't like flags with short handles, so will be an interesting experiment, as starting with long handles which I can shorten. For a while will take both old and new sets then I can chop & change if need be.
Old 13 May 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3073901)   #16
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grahame - pole length depends on your forearm. Just make sure pole length don't tangle up with your inside elbow.
Old 14 May 2012, 15:09 (Ref:3074398)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And there you have it. The secret to flagging. Knowing your pole from your elbow.

Or something like that!
Old 17 May 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3075908)   #18
brian_bury
Racer

England
crumpsall manchester
my nice new flags

My New flags came and they are great had to cut the poles down a bit but now all i have to decide is when to use them

thank you to the people that put me on to Hampshire Flags they are very good
Old 17 May 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3075913)   #19
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Shelagh - yes bearing that in mind, but as the flag surface is one metre by one metre need a longer pole so I can wave them without catching them on the safety fencing that is prevalent at all the flag points of the regular circuits I get to.

Let a driver dare say he doesn't see a flag at the post I am waving them from.

Makes it interesting that the flags hopefully will ready for their first outing at the BTCC at Croft. Along with a warning sign for my fellow marshals not to get too close otherwise they get brained!

Old 18 May 2012, 06:45 (Ref:3075975)   #20
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_bury View Post
...all i have to decide is when to use them...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racing_flags <- That might help!!
Old 18 May 2012, 18:25 (Ref:3076207)   #21
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
I still work on the principle that a flag does not have to be large, just CLEAN!

I haven't actually flagged for a year and a half now, due to whatever, so can I still pretend to "be an expert"; "know what I'm talking about"????

Don't tell the MSA!
Old 21 May 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3077198)   #22
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
I still work on the principle that a flag does not have to be large, just CLEAN!
agree - in fact I find that overly large flags are a nightmare to use in many circumstances/conditions and make good presentation and communication more difficult