Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 5 Sep 2012, 06:02 (Ref:3131028)   #1
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pukekohe 500-27/28 October 2012

Better get this one started, its not that far away.

How much will the Field Differ??

Baird Out?
Murphy In?
Will Cassidy pick up another Drive elsewhere?
Will Perkins Stay?
Who Would Fill in for Baird?
Tim Edgell, hopefully Nick Chester will step aside. Tim would have surprised a few People first up at Taupo?.
John Penny in with Manuell
Then you have the few Named/un-named International Looking to Slot in?

Then what about the format? Anybody good any cunning ideas??? after Taupo
Old 5 Sep 2012, 08:13 (Ref:3131089)   #2
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can't see any option other than to shorten the race distance.
Unless they do a NASCAR and have a competition caution and bring all the cars in for compulsory refuelling, effectively having two races in one?
Say maybe line all the cars up in the slow lane on pit road and hold them all until all refuelled then release them for a restart?
Old 5 Sep 2012, 08:52 (Ref:3131122)   #3
adbutler
Racer

New Zealand
Waikuku Beach, Canterbury, NZ
adbutler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Unless they do a NASCAR and have a competition caution and bring all the cars in for compulsory refuelling, effectively having two races in one?
Say maybe line all the cars up in the slow lane on pit road and hold them all until all refuelled then release them for a restart?
good idea
Old 5 Sep 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3131255)   #4
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So why is refueling not allowed?
Old 5 Sep 2012, 19:17 (Ref:3131525)   #5
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I believe the firm systems are not desinged for dry break systems.
Also the added cost if the extra safety etc.
Old 5 Sep 2012, 23:17 (Ref:3131679)   #6
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
I believe the firm systems are not desinged for dry break systems.
Also the added cost if the extra safety etc.
Yer but hang on... The teams have invested how much? $300k+?
They already have crew in overalls, helmets etc etc, so there would not be that much more cost in setting up for refuelling...
Old 5 Sep 2012, 23:24 (Ref:3131684)   #7
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
They already have crew in overalls, helmets etc etc, so there would not be that much more cost in setting up for refuelling...
I doubt there'd be enough time to do it for Pukekohe, would probably mean new tanks (otherwise serious modifications of current tanks) plus modified bodywork for fuel intake and vent - 20 cars to do in the space of a few weeks, plus testing, crew training, drafting of regulations on how-to and how-not-to, plus no doubt a number of other things I have missed.

Reckon we will see it next season though, for sure, along with much longer races for the enduros.

I wonder if they could fit some sort of auxiliary tank for Pukekohe though?
Old 5 Sep 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3131689)   #8
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
But where does it all stop? These cars aren't designed for refueling V8SC-style.

The fundamental aspect of the V8ST concept was to drive the costs down for the competitors. This isn't Aussie, this isn't V8 Supercars!

This is a kiwi-breed simplified version without engine development costs (cheque-book racing), refueling, centre-nut wheels or having to pay for a crew the size of a football team to compete. So to all the whingers and knockers, get your heads around it. All that stuff requires a six-figure budget and that's what the guys who put this class together don't want.

And 20+ car owners agreed with them!
Old 5 Sep 2012, 23:38 (Ref:3131693)   #9
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i guess maybe with a 500KM race they could run 3x 166km legs with an enforced 5x minute parc ferme to refuel only (and maybe tyre pressures)....drivers to remain in car and safety car re start imediately....
just a thought......
Old 6 Sep 2012, 00:34 (Ref:3131719)   #10
MalcolmC
Racer

New Zealand
Down there a bit
MalcolmC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
i guess maybe with a 500KM race they could run 3x 166km legs with an enforced 5x minute parc ferme to refuel only (and maybe tyre pressures)....drivers to remain in car and safety car re start imediately....
just a thought......
The 5min pit stops would work ok, but I'd prefer to have the race stay at 500km and the teams can choose when to stop. They're just held in pit lane for 5min regardless of how quickly they refuel. The driver would even have time to go to the toilet, like Murphy at Bathurst 2002.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 02:39 (Ref:3131746)   #11
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmC View Post
The 5min pit stops would work ok, but I'd prefer to have the race stay at 500km and the teams can choose when to stop. They're just held in pit lane for 5min regardless of how quickly they refuel. The driver would even have time to go to the toilet, like Murphy at Bathurst 2002.
I really like this idea but would make to much advantage if you were in the pits when a safety car came out you would leave a lap or 2 infront of any runner who did a green flag stop.

I do think there is a way to make this work, to me enduro racing is about strategy and throwing a yellow takes that away from the teams. Unless the only thing you can do in the yellow is refuel and no one can touch the car in anyway, so no tyre pressures, no changing drivers, no changing tyres. They then still can have a min laps a co driver must do.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 05:08 (Ref:3131778)   #12
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont know what the answer will be for the Puke event, but maybe V8ST are thinking of this (i'd say they are....they seem a pretty on_to_it bunch )

My guess is next year we will see the possibility of re-fuels using the NASCAR style fuel churns and frenzied 5-stud wheel changes!

Boogity boogity

And as on_to_it has mentioned this is NOT trying to be V8SC, and he hits the nail on the head when he talks of 6 figure (or he may mean 7 figure??....isn't that what 'millions' is?) budgets to provide the huge crews and the fancy gear.

This a cost-restrained domestic series that makes the best of every dollar that is spent on the cars (and i'm sure most of you can agree on that). Its supposed to be different to supercars, and its evolution (in my mind) will see the series move even further away from anything that resembles the aussie series, and probably would be more akin to the NASCAR model minus the awful 'plastic' car bodies that they dress them up in.

I think i have now watched the first enduro 3 times since sunday now (normally when the missus dozes off on the couch)...yes, i realise this makes me a geek, but damn its good to watch. They just need to tidy up a few things like the driver lights etc etc.

I think next year and 2014 will see the series really evolve in to what its original intentions are/were
Old 6 Sep 2012, 05:41 (Ref:3131782)   #13
TV3
Rookie

TV3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
i dont know what the answer will be for the Puke event, but maybe V8ST are thinking of this (i'd say they are....they seem a pretty on_to_it bunch )

My guess is next year we will see the possibility of re-fuels using the NASCAR style fuel churns and frenzied 5-stud wheel changes!

Boogity boogity

And as on_to_it has mentioned this is NOT trying to be V8SC, and he hits the nail on the head when he talks of 6 figure (or he may mean 7 figure??....isn't that what 'millions' is?) budgets to provide the huge crews and the fancy gear.

This a cost-restrained domestic series that makes the best of every dollar that is spent on the cars (and i'm sure most of you can agree on that). Its supposed to be different to supercars, and its evolution (in my mind) will see the series move even further away from anything that resembles the aussie series, and probably would be more akin to the NASCAR model minus the awful 'plastic' car bodies that they dress them up in.

I think i have now watched the first enduro 3 times since sunday now (normally when the missus dozes off on the couch)...yes, i realise this makes me a geek, but damn its good to watch. They just need to tidy up a few things like the driver lights etc etc.

I think next year and 2014 will see the series really evolve in to what its original intentions are/were
Hi NZSTfan,
Appreciate your comments about which driver is behind the wheel. We are going to rewrite our Graphics software so onscreen the viewer will know who is in the car... Also I have spoken to MP and they are going to have a driver indicator in the car window. On another subject, on Sunday we were supposed to have the ability for the commentators to talk to the drivers, for reasons beyond our control the equipment crashed, and that was a shame.. We will have it sorted for Puke.
Also more good news for Puke, we are on air from Midday to 5.30pm, that's an hour longer than Taupo.
Regards.. Nigel Carpenter, Producer Gillette Motorsport
Old 6 Sep 2012, 07:27 (Ref:3131819)   #14
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV3 View Post
Hi NZSTfan,
Appreciate your comments about which driver is behind the wheel. We are going to rewrite our Graphics software so onscreen the viewer will know who is in the car... Also I have spoken to MP and they are going to have a driver indicator in the car window. On another subject, on Sunday we were supposed to have the ability for the commentators to talk to the drivers, for reasons beyond our control the equipment crashed, and that was a shame.. We will have it sorted for Puke.
Also more good news for Puke, we are on air from Midday to 5.30pm, that's an hour longer than Taupo.
Hi Nigel, welcome to the forum, its great to have you and Shaun part of the convo....shows great commitment to your audience in my view

Thats really good news about the adjustments re: graphics upgrade and driver indicator Just splitting hairs here, but has Mark suggested just a single light at the front or a double light system where there is one at front and one visible thru the rear door windows? Afterall that was what i thought the small rectangular hole in the rear window by one of the cage uprights was for.....just interested

I wondered why there was no in-car talk with Boothy like you had at R4, but the crash explains that....blimmin computers aye!
Old 6 Sep 2012, 07:50 (Ref:3131829)   #15
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Hi NZSTfan,
your coverage of the racing series scene is terrible of late. im glad at least a bit of feedback isn't going unnoticed especially in forums, as these are the top-tier racing series in the sub-continent (or around this part of the world) theres nothing more exciting then seeing another V8 Racing series getting the attention it deserves, and good TV coverage (same camera views as V8SC) and commentary makes it a better series. Go the SuperTourers! and welcome to the forums too
Old 6 Sep 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3131833)   #16
TV3
Rookie

TV3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Hi Nigel, welcome to the forum, its great to have you and Shaun part of the convo....shows great commitment to your audience in my view

Thats really good news about the adjustments re: graphics upgrade and driver indicator Just splitting hairs here, but has Mark suggested just a single light at the front or a double light system where there is one at front and one visible thru the rear door windows? Afterall that was what i thought the small rectangular hole in the rear window by one of the cage uprights was for.....just interested

I wondered why there was no in-car talk with Boothy like you had at R4, but the crash explains that....blimmin computers aye!
Yeah, we were peeved that we couldn't make it happen, we enjoyed chatting to Boothie in Round 4. Re the InCar Driver lights, sorry I am not sure what the details are, MP?
Any thoughts about TV3's coverage please let us know, Shaun, myself and the Crew are keen to do deliver the best Motor Racing coverage we can. Cheers
Old 6 Sep 2012, 07:57 (Ref:3131838)   #17
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Yeah, we were peeved that we couldn't make it happen, we enjoyed chatting to Boothie in Round 4. Re the InCar Driver lights, sorry I am not sure what the details are, MP?
Any thoughts about TV3's coverage please let us know, Shaun, myself and the Crew are keen to do deliver the best Motor Racing coverage we can. Cheers

Just to add too, This is what i like about the whole V8ST series and its associates. They race on a weekend, some 'suggestions' pop up on the sunday/monday and whammo - those suggestions get noted and fixed....nice.
For a series that has only done 5 rounds over about 7 months and is effectively a platform that could easily last for 10 years or more in this country, the attention to detail regarding what the fans want is incredible.
If we remember, first there was an engine cooling issue, the ST guys fronted up within days and said yep, we have a problem houston, and then went about fixing it. It was the same with the gear box issue...within days of R4 they had media releases out saying once again, yep theres another small issue, and this is what we'll do to fix it...and they did. Even this week on speedcafe there was a story on the fact that there was some fuel issues with the enduro (not surprising really when you take into account it was the first one) that came out i think on tuesday.....but once again they fronted and are looking at ways to improve the Puke race.
Now we have TV3 (a partner in all reality) fronting up on here and they have clearly listened to what the fans want and are now getting that done, and its only 4 days after the last race!
Great stuff all this....
Old 6 Sep 2012, 08:01 (Ref:3131841)   #18
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
your coverage of the racing series scene is terrible of late......Go the SuperTourers! and welcome to the forums too
I just don't get you buddy. First you walk up and smack him on the nose, and when he's down you kiss his arse!
Old 6 Sep 2012, 10:40 (Ref:3131910)   #19
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I doubt there'd be enough time to do it for Pukekohe, would probably mean new tanks (otherwise serious modifications of current tanks) plus modified bodywork for fuel intake and vent - 20 cars to do in the space of a few weeks, plus testing, crew training, drafting of regulations on how-to and how-not-to, plus no doubt a number of other things I have missed.

Reckon we will see it next season though, for sure, along with much longer races for the enduros.

I wonder if they could fit some sort of auxiliary tank for Pukekohe though?
120L in the maximum any race car is allowed to carry no matter what event it runs, so no extra tanks or new tanks needed.

If you want to see quick refuleling V8SC style in nz,
it is already here and has been for years.

Watch the South Island Endurance series ate the last round at Taupo,
will be heaps of teams there with it that have used it for years.

only PITA is that Pukekohe needs cars to be refuled for the other side of the car to some of the other tracks as the pits in is the inside,
so you need to be able to fill from both sides in a season.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 20:42 (Ref:3132194)   #20
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
120L in the maximum any race car is allowed to carry no matter what event it runs, so no extra tanks or new tanks needed.

If you want to see quick refuleling V8SC style in nz,
it is already here and has been for years.

Watch the South Island Endurance series ate the last round at Taupo,
will be heaps of teams there with it that have used it for years.

only PITA is that Pukekohe needs cars to be refuled for the other side of the car to some of the other tracks as the pits in is the inside,
so you need to be able to fill from both sides in a season.
HD is like that too of course, interesting point. Can't quite recall where V8SC have the inlet, is it in the boot lid or the side panel?
Old 6 Sep 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3132201)   #21
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
HD is like that too of course, interesting point. Can't quite recall where V8SC have the inlet, is it in the boot lid or the side panel?
isn't it only Teretonga and Manfield that would fuel from the LHS of the car ??
simple solution is to not run an endurance at a track where the car needs refuelling on LHS.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 23:06 (Ref:3132239)   #22
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
side panels
Old 6 Sep 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3132241)   #23
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
side panels
I have a strange and vague recollection of watching a fuel can go in the top somewhere a while ago, but it could just be me that is strange AND vague...
Old 7 Sep 2012, 03:58 (Ref:3132288)   #24
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I have a strange and vague recollection of watching a fuel can go in the top somewhere a while ago, but it could just be me that is strange AND vague...
Some SuperTourers (mid - late 90's in Aust, not Mr Petch's mob) maybe, and perhaps a few Bimmers or something in 80's & 90's. Potentially also some Falcons & Commodores prior to V8SC
Old 7 Sep 2012, 04:51 (Ref:3132301)   #25
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A couple of three things from me:

-Great call bringing Jamie into the team... best anchor in the country right now.

-Give Mork a runner/spotter or a kick up the arse... All too often the commentary team would throw to him with a question about something going on in the pits and he didn't have a clue... the pit side insights from him that stuck in my mind from the weekend was the revelation that the smoke ****ing off the front rotors was because they were hot...

-Another idea would be giving the commentary guys a scanner, nothing like hearing about who's lighting up the radio after getting a few love taps, or who's complaining about the balance of the car.