Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 6 Jul 2014, 03:15 (Ref:3430750)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheese "We can't breathe life into Godzilla" -Todd Kelly

Story Here

Yes it is a James Phelps story...

...but the quotes from Mr Kelly are clear..

The team is apologising to the motor manufacturer, the sponsors, the team itself because they believe the Nissan V8SC engine isnt good enough to be competitive with the current players

What you wouldnt want to have happen is to lose Nissan to the sport over this.

But you might have imagined the politicking in the background would have been a little more successful than going so obviously public

Thoughts?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 6 Jul 2014, 03:30 (Ref:3430756)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Time to adapt the GT3 motor.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 03:32 (Ref:3430758)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not exactly the crux of the topic, but I always thought Godzilla was a reference to GTR Skyline rather than a universal tag to all Nissans.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 03:43 (Ref:3430762)   #4
Smokey Retirement
Racer

Australia
Pit Lane
Smokey Retirement should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if Todd Kelly can finish 22 seconds behind the race winner, he should walk away feeling very happy.....

Wasn't last years reason/excuse for straight line speed aero issues?
Old 6 Jul 2014, 03:58 (Ref:3430763)   #5
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Simple, just give them the concession they need.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 04:11 (Ref:3430764)   #6
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course Mr Kelly would be saying his team "Isn't doing a bad job" and they would be winning if the rules were changed

How would Mr Dane's team be going with Nissan Altima's?
Old 6 Jul 2014, 04:17 (Ref:3430765)   #7
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What if NISMO used the generic V8 engine that the series provides?
Old 6 Jul 2014, 04:55 (Ref:3430773)   #8
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Of course Mr Kelly would be saying his team "Isn't doing a bad job" and they would be winning if the rules were changed

How would Mr Dane's team be going with Nissan Altima's?
Nowhere.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 05:33 (Ref:3430779)   #9
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
"We can't breathe life into Godzilla" -Todd Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Time to adapt the GT3 motor.

The GT3 engine is a six cylinder twin turbo engine otherwise known as the VR38TT. It's missing a couple of cylinders
Old 6 Jul 2014, 05:41 (Ref:3430782)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
The GT3 engine is a six cylinder twin turbo engine otherwise known as the VR38TT. It's missing a couple of cylinders
My mistake.

Isn't there a slightly-undersized whiz-bang V8 that Nismo has in their arsenal?
Old 6 Jul 2014, 05:51 (Ref:3430785)   #11
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
My mistake.

Besides a 3.4L V8 that is used in LMP2 racing (in cars half the weight mind you)- not really.

The V8SC engine shares the same base engine as the GT1 engine- a destroked 5.6L V8
Old 6 Jul 2014, 08:43 (Ref:3430816)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The story suggests that the NisMo squad is looking for concessions.

These seem to start at changing the dimensions of the engine, back closer to the original bore & stroke, suitably tweaked down to a 5 litre capacity

What NisMo should do is build one, make 10000% sure its the solution that delivers the power, torque, fuel burn and whatever other measures being mandated as critical, then submit the option to V8SC for homologation!

There are no silver bullets in motorsport. Prove it works once and for all, then ask !

The series doesnt want to lose Nissan after all...
Old 6 Jul 2014, 08:54 (Ref:3430819)   #13
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't the GT1 Nissan from 2010 & 2011 a V8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Nowhere.
888 were well ahead of the Kelly's when they both ran Commodore's, i'm sure 888 would get a handle on an Altima much quicker as well.

The Kelly's and Nissan seem to have had the idea (going back to the Aero whinging last year) that just because they built a car and turned up, they should be winning.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 09:07 (Ref:3430822)   #14
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Wasn't the GT1 Nissan from 2010 & 2011 a V8?

888 were well ahead of the Kelly's when they both ran Commodore's, i'm sure 888 would get a handle on an Altima much quicker as well.

The Kelly's and Nissan seem to have had the idea (going back to the Aero whinging last year) that just because they built a car and turned up, they should be winning.
It could be a case of help them or lose them.........supercars need Nissan more than Nissan need supercars.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 09:12 (Ref:3430823)   #15
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It could be a case of help them or lose them.........supercars need Nissan more than Nissan need supercars.
The best move Nissan could make would be to work with another team.

At least it would provide them with some clarity in relation to the performance of Kelly Racing.

Of course this is unlikely to happen but it is what you get if you chose to hitch your wagon to the slow(ish) horse.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3430827)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
The best move Nissan could make would be to work with another team.

At least it would provide them with some clarity in relation to the performance of Kelly Racing.

Of course this is unlikely to happen but it is what you get if you chose to hitch your wagon to the slow(ish) horse.
The previous business model for Nissan helping another team was that the chassis and engine program are apparently required to come from the NisMo Australia mother ship, and serviced through there as well.

Hence why nobody has done it most likely.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3430828)   #17
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Maybe it's time to go to performance based parity.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 09:42 (Ref:3430829)   #18
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
My mistake.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VK_engine
seems to be a range here. The VK45DE looks a likely candidate.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 09:47 (Ref:3430835)   #19
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170 View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VK_engine
seems to be a range here. The VK45DE looks a likely candidate.
That's the one I was thinking of.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3430840)   #20
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
They way they have acted since they entered last year, maybe we are better off without them?

V8Supercars do not need Nissan to survive.

Quote:
Maybe it's time to go to performance based parity.
As in penalise the individual teams that are doing a good job?

That would be a quick way to lose alot of credibility.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3430842)   #21
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
They way they have acted since they entered last year, maybe we are better off without them?

It would be difficult to consider that Nissan the motor manufacturer is at fault here, other than not appointing a head of Nissan in motorsport that can compete toe to toe with the likes of Mr McNamara and win..
Old 6 Jul 2014, 11:16 (Ref:3430858)   #22
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

As in penalise the individual teams that are doing a good job?

That would be a quick way to lose alot of credibility.
supercars need more manufacturers not less.........Ford and GM participation is a bit cloudy after 2017. The category may have to admit more alternative powerplants than just V8s.........technical parity will be an even bigger nightmare than it is now, so maybe it's time to move towards the future with performance parity.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 11:19 (Ref:3430859)   #23
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
I don't think that V8 Supercars definitely "need" Nissan but it IS much better having them as part of the series and you'd imagine that much work has been done to achieve parity.

Thing I don't understand is that the Nissans seemed stronger in a straight line last year but still lacking, so the aero was changed for this year - now it's the motor. If that's addressed I guess next it'll be the gearbox or something.

I'm with others in that I don't rate the Kelly crew all that highly & to me they're running pretty much where I'd expect, regardless of what make of car is in use.

Having said that, if another manufacturer HAS been given a concession, there does appear to be a problem somewhere.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 11:23 (Ref:3430860)   #24
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It would be difficult to consider that Nissan the motor manufacturer is at fault here, other than not appointing a head of Nissan in motorsport that can compete toe to toe with the likes of Mr McNamara and win..

And stay in the position of head of motorsport, seems to be a case of musical chairs for that one role.
Old 6 Jul 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3430880)   #25
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
technical parity will be an even bigger nightmare than it is now, so maybe it's time to move towards the future with performance parity.
Penalising individual teams who are doing the winning is not moving towards the future.....or encouraging anyone to actually do any winning!