Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 May 2019, 06:39 (Ref:3901655)   #2076
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
The SMP was less than a second off the leading Toyota in average times. That's not too bad over a 113 second lap.
Old 4 May 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3901844)   #2077
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And yet--as expected--Rebellion and SMP weren't much of a match for Toyota come crunch time. No one's fault since Toyota are doing what they're supposed to be doing and Rebellion and SMP are doing their best against factory backed opposition/the last real OEM in the WEC. Just stating facts.

However, with the #8 Toyota's win today, TMG did lock up the teams' championship in the WEC (I don't think it's considered a true manufacturers' championship this season), and the #8 pairing has a 31 point lead going into LM, meaning that they have a huge buffer over the #7 driving team.

That means that the #8 team don't have a clinch on the championship, but barring an absolute disaster for them, it'll be extremely hard for the #7 to catch and overtake them.
Old 4 May 2019, 20:48 (Ref:3901868)   #2078
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Toyota have the best preperation, so they deserve it, although it must be hard for the others knowing they are fighting a losing battle from the start. At least the driver’s title is still open. We’ll see which way it goes, anything can happen still, but barring mechanical failure, I’d be very surprised if the #8 doesn’t wrap it up. Ah well.
Old 4 May 2019, 23:57 (Ref:3901897)   #2079
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
It's sad but the #7 was legit faster today and but for the sensor problem should have won. I'm rooting for them at Le Mans if it's got to be a Toyota win I prefer them. Alonso can have his WDC in lmp1, but the #7 should win Le Mans this year.
Old 5 May 2019, 11:26 (Ref:3901957)   #2080
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well that’s the only thing that can hold back Toyota is mechanical problems. I think it will be close at Le Mans between the two cars. And yes Fred deserves the title, but the others have done a mega job too
Old 7 May 2019, 09:30 (Ref:3902434)   #2081
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It's sad but the #7 was legit faster today and but for the sensor problem should have won. I'm rooting for them at Le Mans if it's got to be a Toyota win I prefer them. Alonso can have his WDC in lmp1, but the #7 should win Le Mans this year.
I think the #8 only needs a 7th place finish at LM to take the drivers' title.
Old 7 May 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3902505)   #2082
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
One thing I have to admit about LMP1 privateer is that though Rebellion is still my favorite team among them, I'm impressed at how SMP/BR Engineering have turned the corner. Spa and LM last year were just little short of total disasters for them, but since Shanghai last year they've gotten better and better with each passing race and now Rebellion better look out because SMP at Sebring and Spa have matched them and are giving them a run for their money.

I'm still not a fan of how the LM version of the BR1 looks, but that goes for just about any LMP car, especially LMP1s nowadays. The sprint Toyota and Rebellion are lookers IMO, and the sprint BR1 is growing on me.
Old 7 May 2019, 21:22 (Ref:3902512)   #2083
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
One thing I have to admit about LMP1 privateer is that though Rebellion is still my favorite team among them, I'm impressed at how SMP/BR Engineering have turned the corner. Spa and LM last year were just little short of total disasters for them, but since Shanghai last year they've gotten better and better with each passing race and now Rebellion better look out because SMP at Sebring and Spa have matched them and are giving them a run for their money.

I'm still not a fan of how the LM version of the BR1 looks, but that goes for just about any LMP car, especially LMP1s nowadays. The sprint Toyota and Rebellion are lookers IMO, and the sprint BR1 is growing on me.

well last year SMP at spa debuted with a low drag / zero downforce configuration... and had to throw in the trash can a brand new chassis.

Don't know if ACO homologated a better fuel for private lmp1's due the no limits MJ/lap as fuel energy allocation, but is clear that new eot got rebellion and smp close to toyota's.

BTW has smp BR1 a 6 or 7 speeds gearbox?
Old 7 May 2019, 21:25 (Ref:3902513)   #2084
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
I think it may be a 5 speed actually...
Old 7 May 2019, 21:28 (Ref:3902514)   #2085
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
I think it may be a 5 speed actually...

source?

I recall that when rebellion and kolles were using the AER V6 had both 7 speeds gearbox
Old 7 May 2019, 21:37 (Ref:3902516)   #2086
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
An onboard from Spa showed only 5 gears, but perhaps the 6th is Le Mans only? I can't find any onboard videos so it's very likely I'm remembering wrong and someone will correct me
Old 7 May 2019, 21:46 (Ref:3902517)   #2087
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Current Rebellion Oreca uses a 6 speed gearbox based on the XTrac unit used in the Oreca 07.

BR Engineering's site says that the gearbox is a XTrac 6 speed, possibly similar to what Rebellion are currently using.

For reference, the Toyota TS050 gearbox is also a 6 speed developed jointly by TMG and XTrac.

Last edited by chernaudi; 7 May 2019 at 21:52.
Old 7 May 2019, 22:05 (Ref:3902519)   #2088
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
An onboard from Spa showed only 5 gears, but perhaps the 6th is Le Mans only? I can't find any onboard videos so it's very likely I'm remembering wrong and someone will correct me

you know... you found a good spot...

is really hard to find any good telemetry-onboard of smp cars... and then I found this suspicious video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JfqFbnQKrg

In this promotional 2018 wec prologue video, the smp dashboard is for some reason censored

then I've found this interest other onboard (no telemetry)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsFb3B8ZqNM

at the end of the video, he didn't pass the oreca just because he lifted off before the end of the straight. Well at that point he should have been at about 270km/h at least.
If we speculate that button was in 1st speed out of last corner at 1:22, he reached that speed with a really long 4th speed (if ears dont' deceive me).

The 5 speeds speculation is not so unlikely afterall....
Old 7 May 2019, 22:16 (Ref:3902520)   #2089
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vandoorne have say the car have had a gearbox problem, they lost 5th and 6th by the end of the race.

Vandoorne's car finished Spa race with four gears
Old 7 May 2019, 23:53 (Ref:3902526)   #2090
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Crikey. I remember the early Audi diesels were 5 speed, but they were torquetastic.
Old 7 May 2019, 23:57 (Ref:3902527)   #2091
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I been doing a review of the 2018 races in youtube and with the results page, because I forgot most of the action. At the Prologue all the private teams were in a single second, that was without the EoT? Or all the cars were slow or sandbaging?

The season started with very immature cars from all private teams. If you review the first hour of the races, there are great battles between SMP and Rebellion in all tracks. Sometimes the car of DragonSpeed is part too, and even ByKolles in some crazy races as Fuji. But in general all cars had problems. Rebellion with electronic problems, team errors or driver's mistakes, SMP and DragonSpeed with gearbox problems, and wheel nut problems, and ByKolles being ByKolles with few moments of some speed.

After Le Mans, the cars become better and better and the Rebellion - SMP fight is noticiable. I think DragonSpeed focused more on the P2 and Indycar and lost their attention to the P1 (at least in 2019).

Without the fuel flow limit per lap since Spa, I think Le Mans will be great for the private teams, at least in theory they could fight each other with less mechacial/electronic problems.

EDIT: I forgot to comment about the new front tyres for the non-hybrid cars. It's another plus for their current performance.

Last edited by Damian Baldi; 8 May 2019 at 00:25.
Old 8 May 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3902557)   #2092
Lutzvic
Racer

Lutzvic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doubt!
https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...82971/?nrt=102
Old 8 May 2019, 07:48 (Ref:3902561)   #2093
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
I been doing a review of the 2018 races in youtube and with the results page, because I forgot most of the action. At the Prologue all the private teams were in a single second, that was without the EoT? Or all the cars were slow or sandbaging?

The season started with very immature cars from all private teams. If you review the first hour of the races, there are great battles between SMP and Rebellion in all tracks. Sometimes the car of DragonSpeed is part too, and even ByKolles in some crazy races as Fuji. But in general all cars had problems. Rebellion with electronic problems, team errors or driver's mistakes, SMP and DragonSpeed with gearbox problems, and wheel nut problems, and ByKolles being ByKolles with few moments of some speed.

After Le Mans, the cars become better and better and the Rebellion - SMP fight is noticiable. I think DragonSpeed focused more on the P2 and Indycar and lost their attention to the P1 (at least in 2019).

Without the fuel flow limit per lap since Spa, I think Le Mans will be great for the private teams, at least in theory they could fight each other with less mechacial/electronic problems.

EDIT: I forgot to comment about the new front tyres for the non-hybrid cars. It's another plus for their current performance.

Actually, according to eot spa sheet,
https://www.fia.com/events/world-end...ance-committee
(fourth file from the bottom)

private lmp1 are still sticking to 115kg/h max petrol flow, the unlimited value is the max petrol energy per lap, that leads me to think that:
1. private lmp1's received a spec better petrol (so far petrol was the same for everyone and supplied by shell)
2. like f1, private lmp1's are free to choice a different supplier and to use the kind of petrol they wish

BTW, if am I not wrong, new private spec michelin have not been used at spa because unanimity wasn't reached among teams
Old 8 May 2019, 11:10 (Ref:3902604)   #2094
Irie
Racer

Irie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Actually, according to eot spa sheet,
https://www.fia.com/events/world-end...ance-committee
(fourth file from the bottom)

private lmp1 are still sticking to 115kg/h max petrol flow, the unlimited value is the max petrol energy per lap, that leads me to think that:
1. private lmp1's received a spec better petrol (so far petrol was the same for everyone and supplied by shell)
2. like f1, private lmp1's are free to choice a different supplier and to use the kind of petrol they wish

BTW, if am I not wrong, new private spec michelin have not been used at spa because unanimity wasn't reached among teams
I dont't understand why they need unanimity in the first place? LMP1 is a free tire class, the teams who want the new tires can buy them from Michelin and run them and Dragonspeed can continue running the current spec.

I had a look at the regulatios and found
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Regulations 7.7.2 a)
For LMP1 non H and LMP2 categories, the different tyre
manufacturers may declare to the FIA/ACO, for the full
season, a maximum of 3 tyre specifications for all the models
of cars entered in the category. 2 specifications must be
declared at least 48 hours before the Prologue.
[...]
At the latest 48 hours before the opening of scrutineering, they
must designate 2 tyre specifications entered per race (3
specifications for the 24 hours of Le Mans) from among the 3
specifications designated for the season. Only these 2 tyre
specifications (3 specifications for the 24 hours of Le Mans)
may be used by a competitor on an Event.

Last edited by Irie; 8 May 2019 at 11:27.
Old 9 May 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3902803)   #2095
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the Interlagos WEC may be dead again after next year
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...20-rio-gp-move
Old 9 May 2019, 17:34 (Ref:3902824)   #2096
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutzvic View Post
Yeah... I don't believe we are going to see any kind of racing between the privateers and Toyota unless they seriously limit the power output of the hybrid system. They can talk all they want, but so far the on track show has been poor. They should let the hybrid provide fuel economy advatage, but take away the performance advantage.
Old 9 May 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3902827)   #2097
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
That's how it should've been all along. Hybrid should've been used as a range enhancer, not a performance enhancer. Same with diesel or ethanol.

Fact though does remain that without a lot of BOP, factory teams will still dominate, just because they have the resources to build a better mouse trap.
Old 9 May 2019, 17:59 (Ref:3902829)   #2098
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Boring Toyota domination is still infinitely preferable to fake bop wrestling like DPi or GTE. Anyway we already have a huge improvement over the farce that was LM 2018, and that is the removal of the stupid mandatory max stint length & associated penalties (unless Toyota wants it back but they haven't said so). That alone makes everything more relaxed
Old 9 May 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3902833)   #2099
Deleted
Veteran

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/0...0-fia-wec.html
That number is understood to have been ‘capped’ with at least two potential entrants advised that an entry request would not be successful

Not overly surprising as long as GTE-AM continues to receive handful of filler entry spots for reasons of unknown
Old 9 May 2019, 18:40 (Ref:3902842)   #2100
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Boring Toyota domination is still infinitely preferable to fake bop wrestling like DPi or GTE.
And yet, one of those two series is "infinitely" more exciting than the other on a routine basis.