Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 20 Aug 2003, 02:01 (Ref:692768)   #1
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Howard Marsden Passes Away

Howard Marsden passed away yesterday (19/8/03) after a seven month battle with cancer.

Mr Marsden died at home surrounded by his immediate family and will be cremated in a private family service later this week.

Howard's wife Christine expressed her sincere thanks for the thousands of messages of support and well wishes received by the family, since the news of his illness earlier this month.

Howard Marsden was well known in motor sport circles around the world, enjoying great success in a four-decade career of car development and team management for Ford and Nissan in circuit racing and rallying.

Messages of condolences can be sent to Howard's daughter Samantha at the Ford Motor Company on: smarsde3@ford.com

Issued on behalf of the Marsden family
Old 20 Aug 2003, 03:13 (Ref:692788)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More sadness. When they announced that Howard was sick, I wasnt particularly hopeful that he had won the fight

Best wishes to the family and friend at this unhappy time
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 20 Aug 2003, 03:34 (Ref:692798)   #3
Dirk
Veteran

Dirk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes indeed, very very sad to hear. I knew Howard and he was delight to deal with. He will be missed by a lot of people.

To his family, all the best!
Old 20 Aug 2003, 03:41 (Ref:692805)   #4
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved his commentary from the '96 Sandown 500. So astute in his judgements and fresh and informative in the delivery.

Should Ford/SBR go all the way this year, it must be dedicated to Howard for all his work over the years for Ford and the industry in general.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 20 Aug 2003, 03:59 (Ref:692809)   #5
RRR
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, VIC
RRR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My thoughts go to the Marsden family and friends, who were blessed with is intelligency, his manner and his success.

RIP - Howard Marsden
Old 20 Aug 2003, 04:23 (Ref:692817)   #6
Lyris
Racer

Lyris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two words came to mind, when I saw the thread title:

Oh No , and I'm a Holden fan...

To the Marsden Family, thanx for loaning us howard for a fair number of years, and my condolences on your loss.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 04:51 (Ref:692826)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
sad news , very sad news.

My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 05:03 (Ref:692832)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

Issued by AVESCO:

AVESCO PAYS TRIBUTE TO A TRUE GENTLEMAN

The V8 Supercar world is in mourning after hearing the very sad news that close friend and colleague Howard Marsden has passed away.

Howard's immense experience came from his involvement in various factory teams culminating in his position as Ford's Motorsport Manager.

Over the years Howard contributed greatly to the development of V8 Supercars and was instrumental in the introduction of the highly successful Ford Falcon BA that is racing so successfully this year.

AVESCO CEO Wayne Cattach said he is devastated by the news and acknowledged Howard would be sorely missed by many in Australian motor sport.

"This is a very sad loss for Australian motor sport," Mr Cattach said. "Howard truly was a gentleman above all other things, who held the respect of all teams be they Ford or Holden".

"He was in my opinion an intellectual at heart, he was well read with strong interest in many subjects, apart from motor sport, ranging from history to the arts."

"On behalf of the entire V8 Supercar family our sincere condolences go to his wife Christine and family," Cattach concluded.

Howard will be fondly remembered as a true gentleman of Australian motor sport.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 05:30 (Ref:692844)   #9
RaceTime
Veteran

And the following from the Ford Motor Company:

General Manager of Ford Racing in Australia Howard Marsden passed away yesterday (19/8/03) after a seven month battle with cancer.

Mr Marsden died at home surrounded by his immediate family and will be cremated in a private family service later this week.

Ford Australia President Mr Geoff Polites described Marsden as a great name in motor racing circles, and also emphasised his own deep respect for the man away from the track.

“Howard will be deeply missed by us all, especially his family who have been the major inspiration in his life,” said Mr Polites.

“Howard was a deeply private man which was evident in the fact that very few people knew of his battle over the past seven months.

“Many people around the world owe a great deal to Howard over the his 40 odd years in motor sport. We here in Australia were just one small part of his journey.

“Ford is currently enjoying its best season on the track in many seasons, all thanks to Howard's commitment over the past four years.

“I know that all involved in motor sport, not just Ford, are deeply saddened by this loss. We've certainly lost one of the great champions of the sport”.

Before taking on the role as General Manager of Ford Racing in 1999, Marsden had worked for Tickford Vehicle Engineering (now FPV) since 1992 as Product Planning Manager.

FPV Managing Director David Flint described Marsden as a great friend.

“Howard was a true gentleman in business and a great friend,” said Mr Flint.

“He made a monumental contribution to our business and will be sorely missed by all of us who had the good fortune to know and work with him.”

Ford's V8 Supercar teams have all today paid tribute to the father of Ford Racing in Australia. Two-time Bathurst winner and 1995 V8 Supercar Champion John Bowe spoke on behalf of the drivers.

“You look back to the early 1970s and it was Howard, Allan Moffat and the GTHO Falcons that were winning everything,” said Mr Bowe.

“Howard came in again in 1999 and he set about putting plans in place to see Ford return to the front.

“He was fully aware that it was not going to happen overnight and this year's results with seven wins from eight races are due to the planning he put in place.

“I've been actively driving since the 1970s and Howard gave me and plenty of other drivers great advice as well as the opportunity to further our careers. He was one in a million.”

Howard's wife Christine expressed her sincere thanks for the thousands of messages of support and well wishes received by the family since the news of his illness earlier this month.

Last edited by RaceTime; 20 Aug 2003 at 05:31.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 05:31 (Ref:692845)   #10
RaceTime
Veteran

I removed Howards profile from the previous post because of length - here is the Ford Motor Companies Profile for Howard Marsden:

Howard Marsden was one of the most experienced and successful motor racing identities in the western world.

He started his involvement with Ford Motor Company's European racing programs in 1963, as the founder and company secretary of Alan Mann Racing. At the time Ford - and Marsden - were involved in rallying, touring car and sportscar championships in both Europe and the US.

On the sidelines, Marsden and the company prepared cars for the films Grand Prix and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and also prepared a race team for American actor and renowned 'petrolhead', Steve McQueen.

During his career, Marsden was involved with some of motorsport's most famous names, managing Lola Racing Limited for John Surtees, and becoming company manager for Frank Williams Racing.

Marsden's impact on Australian motorsport is just as strong. In 1971 he became Ford's Special Vehicles Manager and managed the Ford Falcon touring car program for the period of the legendary Bathurst victories by Allan Moffat.

Under Marsden's reign, the Falcon GTHO Phase III and Phase IV were introduced, both becoming Australian motoring icons.

Following Ford's decision to step back from motor sport, Marsden accepted a position at Datsun / Nissan. He masterminded four Australian Rally Championship wins in 1976/77/78/79 with Ross Dunkerton, George Fury and Geoff Portman.

He also led the Datsun/Nissan Stanza entries in the Southern Cross and Castrol Rally of Canberra in 1979 with Dunkerton, Fury and Finnish great Rauno Aaltonen.

The 1980s had Marsden back into circuit racing when he directed Nissan's Australian Touring Car Championship program, scoring class victories at Bathurst and winning the long distance championship in 1983 with the Bluebird Turbo.

During this period Marsden was Product Planning Manager and Motorsport Manager for Nissan.

In 1985 Fred Gibson took ownership of the Nissan Motorsport Team while Marsden continued his role with Nissan both in Australia and then Europe through to 1992. Marsden was part of Nissan's entry into Sportscar Racing, including Le Mans.

In 1992 he moved back to Australia and to Tickford Vehicle Engineering, to assist in the development of a range of performance Falcons for the enthusiast market.

With the revival of motor sport at the Ford Motor Company of Australia, Marsden was seconded to Ford from Tickford as the General Manager of Ford Racing.

Marsden instigated numerous programs as part of his involvement with Ford Racing in the new millennium. These included the first in-house designed and built Ford Touring Car since the early 1970s with the BA Falcon; greater funding for Formula Ford; the establishment of the Ford KartStars Series; and most importantly closer ties between teams and the Ford Motor Company.

It's not always that one person's involvement alone can reap rewards, and Marsden always made sure that the very best people were part of his programs.

Marden's leadership has seen Ford back at the forefront in the 2003 V8 Supercar Championship Series. Importantly Marsden has put in place the foundation for continued success in the coming years.

Howard Marsden will be forever remembered for his commitment to the sport, his formidable knowledge and experience, but above all for being one of the sport's true gentlemen.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 09:43 (Ref:692997)   #11
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also like to pay tribute to Howard Marsden who was one of the most astute & articulate people in the sport & was always pushing the profile of the sport in Australia. My condolences goes to his family, friends & acquaintances & i know that all the motorsport community will grieve together.

Last edited by jetsetter; 20 Aug 2003 at 09:44.
Old 20 Aug 2003, 10:03 (Ref:693014)   #12
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shocking news...

RIP Howard, thank you for everything you've done for motorsport in Australia and overseas. We will miss you
Old 20 Aug 2003, 11:37 (Ref:693093)   #13
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A great man who has done so much for the sport we all love today. I am remebering now, his unique voice and some of his great commentry over the yers. Will be sorley missed. Thanks for the memories Howard.
Condolensces to his family and friends
Old 22 Aug 2003, 07:59 (Ref:695204)   #14
RaceTime
Veteran

CAMS Farewells An Old Friend

The Confederation of Australian Motor Sport community was saddened to hear the news that Howard Marsden passed away on Tuesday 19 August.

Many people within the CAMS organisation worked with Howard in some way during his 40 odd years in motor sport. He made an enormously positive contribution to the motor sport industry throughout his career and his experience and knowledge in the areas of car development and team management shaped the industry in many ways.

Howard was an intelligent and skilled race engineer and was certainly a visionary in his area of expertise. Above all this however, the impression from all who came into contact with him is that he was always a true gentleman.

CAMS President, Colin Osborne, said, "While we are all saddened by Howard's passing, it is a opportunity for those that knew him to reflect and celebrate, on his behalf, the many international and national motor sport achievements and successes that he would not personally acknowledge in the public arena."

"On behalf of Howard's friends at CAMS, I offer our best wishes and support to Howard's wife, Christine, and to his family."
Old 24 Aug 2003, 10:07 (Ref:697165)   #15
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Howard, thanks for everything you did for Australian Motorsport. You will be sorley missed
Old 25 Aug 2003, 12:06 (Ref:698197)   #16
VeeEightFan
Rookie

VeeEightFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am so sad about Howard Marsden. I only knew of him for a short time, but his voice and the way he told you about motorsport things on Tv was terrific. I was really impressed by his beautiful voidce and the way he said things. I would like to try and be like him. He will always be in my memories.
To all his family I send my tears and thanks for letting us have such a nice man.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 12:59 (Ref:698253)   #17
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
R.I.P Howard Marsden. Condolances to friends and family of this truly great man who turned ford around and gave so much to motorsport in general.
Old 18 Aug 2004, 23:26 (Ref:1070989)   #18
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is just so unbelievably hard to comprehend that one of the nicest of the nice left us a year ago today. Most of us had hardly accepted the fact that Howard was even sick, when it seemed like he was no longer around to offer advice, a friendly welcome, time for anyone who asked for his time, and an understanding of motorsport that is sorely missed.

Howard will always be remembered for helping the Ford turnaround and for the post-humous championship that Marcos Ambrose and Stone Brothers brought home to Ford...a fitting tribute to one of the most unpretentious, and quietly spoken gentlemen that you could ever wish to meet.

Howard, I miss you, and I know I am not alone.

Time mellows not the loss
Time cannot fill the void
Time might make it easier to accept
Time allows one to reflect
Time...sometimes you just wish you could turn it back
Rest easy Howard
Old 19 Aug 2004, 05:27 (Ref:1071137)   #19
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Beautifully said
Old 21 Aug 2004, 07:06 (Ref:1073425)   #20
thunder road
Racer

thunder road should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bathurst/2002, motel car park, morning of the BIG race, Howard Marsden is there,(catching a few early 'rays' of sunshine),actually giving the Company 'FORD' product the quick 'once-over' with the chamois,("presentation/presentation/presentation!!!your can hear the words now!!)I was there with the 'Bob Jane Group',having just finished Bob's (championship winning)'69 Camaro restoration,I was re-introduced to Howard,(whom I had meet years before),Quote:"Howard this is the guy(used real name) responsible for the restoration of Bob's Camaro",well says Howard,"you've done a very thorough job,I must compliment you,I saw it debut in 1970 ,it was a 'pig' to push then and after watching you 'push'it yesterday at the track ,its still a 'pig' to push, then ,congratulations you've done an excellent job !!!!,coming from a MAN I have the utmost respect for ,that was a HUGE complement,I shall endevuor to respect your ideals Howard.