Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jun 2007, 02:27 (Ref:1949366)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
next Aussie hope in F1?

with MW reaching the backend of his career will we see another Aussie in F1 in the near future, if so who would it be where could he end up?
Old 29 Jun 2007, 03:03 (Ref:1949377)   #2
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tander, L ? Doing OK in our premier open wheel category.....

Seriously, if you look at our current crop they all want to get into V8's at such a young age and don't appear to have the fire required to get over to Europe at the critical point in their career.

Probably need to get down to the local kart track and watch the 11yr olds - that's where any potential candidates would have to come from.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 03:18 (Ref:1949380)   #3
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say John Martin...go Johnny.

Here is a quick run down,
-Was a Arrows factory Go Karter
-2005 Vic Formula Ford champion, Vic rookie of the year, 2nd NSW Formula Ford championship, 2nd in Rookie of the year and factory Spectrum FF driver, Also was round winner of the Sandown Aus FF round with 2 wins on debut in National series.
-2006 Aus Formula Ford champion (4 round wins, podium 8 times), Rookie of the year Aus FF, Contested 3 British FF events and got 1st and 3rd at Brands Hatch, 2nd at Silverstone and 4th and 5th at Castle Combe
-2007 British F3 with Alan Docking Racing, so far best result was 4th at Bucharest. All he needs to do is get into a Mercedes powered F3 and out of ADR and he can win...and is currently the sole beneficiary of the Australian Motor Sport Foundation (AMSF) from CAMS

Last edited by Bullett; 29 Jun 2007 at 03:22.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 03:40 (Ref:1949382)   #4
Bullett
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Bullett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres a link to his current championship...British F3 http://www.fota.co.uk/index.php
Old 29 Jun 2007, 04:46 (Ref:1949398)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Martin is probably the only half chance - we're a bit light on at the moment.

Unless Will Power miraculously wins the Champ Car title this year and someone shows some interest in him... He has driven an F1 car...
Old 29 Jun 2007, 05:13 (Ref:1949406)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
ho did he go? i think Will would be great in an F1 car would surprise a few.

what about Briscoe are his F1 days past, i think so, maybe should of waited at Toyota and maybe he would of got Ralf's seat next year.

maybe Ian Dyk in the Team Aus A1 car could surprise a few and work his way to F1 he is young so got some time.

IMO James Courtney and Will Davison should of stayed overseas they are young JC was a F1 tester so maybe could of waited.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 05:25 (Ref:1949414)   #7
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
No one.You guys couldn't find anyone who could drive the A1GP car faster than a tail ender.
Rolf Harris or Dame Edna would be your 2 most promising prospects.
Kylie Minogue an outsiders chance?.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 06:01 (Ref:1949426)   #8
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Will Power would be the best choice. I don't think he would do A1 now as it would be a step back.

Failing that perhaps Casey Stoner, he is too good for MotoGP so give him a test in a F1, Rossi was quick maybe Casey would be too.

Jeff
Old 29 Jun 2007, 06:04 (Ref:1949427)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I sincerely hope that Stoner mention was utterly facetious.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 07:37 (Ref:1949481)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
No one.You guys couldn't find anyone who could drive the A1GP car faster than a tail ender.
Its just that our best A1 drivers got snapped up for other more important drives - in more harmonious team atmospheres...

Any good drivers in the Australian A1GP team are usually busting to get out of that set-up.

Power - Champ Car
Briscoe - factory Porsche driver
Davison - V8s
Old 29 Jun 2007, 07:53 (Ref:1949491)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Nathan Antunes made a bit of a splash at the start of the 2005 FBMW season, but I've no idea what he's doing now.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 08:38 (Ref:1949517)   #12
xr8
Racer

Australia
sydney
xr8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah its a bit sad at the moment! The guys that have the talent don't have the money and the guys that have the money don't have the talent!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 10:23 (Ref:1949586)   #13
lookleft
Racer

lookleft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender

Do you a deal ... swap the teams that run the cars.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 11:29 (Ref:1949617)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Australians are simply not cut out for this Formula 1 lark, so I see no hope really.

Old 29 Jun 2007, 11:58 (Ref:1949636)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will Power deserves another go, but then so do several of the top Champ Car drivers. John Martin looks to be outperforming the equipment in F3, so he might be a good prospect.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1949639)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Do you a deal ... swap the teams that run the cars.
No deal(and you can keep Russell Crowe)............Kiwis should clean up A1GP next season.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1949646)   #17
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next hope in F1???

we havent had a driver capable of winning in F1 since 1981...
Old 29 Jun 2007, 13:01 (Ref:1949682)   #18
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
IMO, MW is capable of winning if he was in a McLaren or a Ferrari, then most driver's would.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 13:02 (Ref:1949686)   #19
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there is anyone on the brink at the moment a couple of years ago there was several drivers hunting around but they all took easier options elsewhere for various reasons.
After Webber there could be awhile until we see another Aussie or who knows there could be the next Jack Brabham in Formula Ford just around the corner.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1949689)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The situation is similar to that faced by (particularly) Japanese and American drivers. It costs a lot more for them to race in the recognised feeder championships than it does for the Europeans, and they find it harder to attract any sponsors and supporters. V8 Supercars offers a relatively easy route to serious money.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 13:48 (Ref:1949722)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michael Patrizzi in F3 Euro might be someone to look at.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 14:05 (Ref:1949737)   #22
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
IMO James Courtney and Will Davison should of stayed overseas they are young JC was a F1 tester so maybe could of waited.

Doing what? Collecting welfare? They cant just stay there hoping to pick up an F1 seat if their funds have run out halfway through British Formula Ford!
Old 29 Jun 2007, 17:44 (Ref:1949913)   #23
Mandiblard
Rookie

Mandiblard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Power.

Marketable name, quick driver, consistant, and guess who his manager is? Mark Webber.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 17:52 (Ref:1949916)   #24
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
with MW reaching the backend of his career
I don't think he sees it like that. And I'm not sure I do either. Maybe nearer the end than the start, but he's got plenty left in him.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 20:35 (Ref:1950013)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
I don't think he sees it like that. And I'm not sure I do either. Maybe nearer the end than the start, but he's got plenty left in him.
Mark's trouble is, he has never really shone, for whatever reason, and he's finding himself going further and further backwards team wise. I'm sure a lower grid placed team would love to have Mark, but would he want to go to them?

McLaren and Ferrari are taken, BMW have Kubica and Vettel, who, to be honest are the drivers of the future there.

He seem's to have shot his bolt with William's. He's managed by Flavio, who constently seem's to take other drivers over him and Honda are signed up driverwise until 2009, so maybe an oppertunity there, but is it a step up? Toyota certainly don't seem to be, that leaves...

Red Bull (he's already there)
STR (Red Bull B team - step back)
Super Aguri (Honda B team - step back)
Spyker (may as well give up)

So maybe Prodrive? But they are rumoured to be a Mercades B team, and i was under the impression that he would never work with Merc again after the Le Man's affair?

I hope your right about Mark, and he has plently of F1 time left, but i'm having my doubts.