Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Dec 2001, 18:45 (Ref:185561)   #1
Eddie_harasym
Veteran

Eddie_harasym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donnington for BGP?

Well why not??

OK it would need a fair bit of cash to upgrade the facilites, but the access is way ahead of Silverstone.

What do you all think?
Old 13 Dec 2001, 18:53 (Ref:185567)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's certainly a great circuit, but I am looking through 1993 vintage rose-tinteds and the fact that I've driven round it - but, seriously, is it feasible?
Old 13 Dec 2001, 19:01 (Ref:185577)   #3
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I raced there this time for the first time and its my fav UK track. Set the FVee lap record (on the international track) incidentally. I got my inspiration from a Mr Senna in 1993.

Really its too narrow in places. Not enough run-off down at the old hairpin and its only barely long enough to hold a GP (2.5 miles).

But it would be good to re-live 1993.
Old 13 Dec 2001, 19:02 (Ref:185578)   #4
Old Hairpin
Racer

Old Hairpin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember Frentzen driving around the track in the Jordan a year ago or two. Cant remember what he said though... It would be infinitely better at Donington than Silverstone. Imagine watching them from the hill down craners, old hairpin and mcleans! Spectators will get to see much more and that would be awesome!
Old 13 Dec 2001, 20:30 (Ref:185610)   #5
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington '93 = Senna !!!
Donington '02 = Montoya !!!
Old 13 Dec 2001, 20:42 (Ref:185613)   #6
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A while ago someone said that Donington was getting upgraded for an F1 testing licence.....mind you, so's Rockingham now. What chance a GP there?
Old 13 Dec 2001, 21:56 (Ref:185644)   #7
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Donnington is undergoing a revamp basically from Coppice through to Hollywood - so things are looking well there.

and, as said, Donningtons access is second to none I know of.
Old 13 Dec 2001, 22:42 (Ref:185665)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Excuse my ignorance, but would an F1GP at Donington include those last two silly hairpins that the bikes use, or would they just use the chicane (my preferred option)? I do like Donington over Silverstone.
Old 13 Dec 2001, 23:10 (Ref:185671)   #9
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It couldn't just use the chicane as it would be too short for a GP. Thats the only reason that the Melbourne loop was added (to bring it to 2.5 miles).

JPM for Donington '03
Old 13 Dec 2001, 23:45 (Ref:185676)   #10
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
id reallllly like to see a GP at oulton but that'll never happen!

but if the british GP did change venue it would probably go to Brands!
Old 14 Dec 2001, 00:22 (Ref:185695)   #11
Kelstea
Rookie

Kelstea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

While I know that there has been problems in the past with Silverstone
now they have addressed the situation are putting it right ie: new duel access road off the new duel carriageway that bypasses the village. New carparks for 15000 cars onhard standing and then the second phase will be stands, facilities and ultimately a new track all this should be completed by 2003.The roads,parking,duel entrance will be finished ready for 2002.The Highways Agency have said the road round Silverstone back to the M1 will certainly be finished and biggest part of the M40 side.
While access has been bad I think those of you who come to the GP should it happen will find a tremendous difference.
Looking at the list of GP's that is likely to go in the next few years It would seem that the only ones to survive are either owned by thatwretched poison dwarf or countries that still think smoking is OK, and of course thay must have enormous amount of money to enable Bernacula to build himself a castle where he can plan to bleed the next country's motorsport to death, like he's trying to do hear!!
I'm afraid its what always happens when one person has so much clout.
I am just crossing my fingers for tomorrow.
I understand that if Silverstone lose the GP,Rockingham is very interested even though the locals would not be!
Old 14 Dec 2001, 09:22 (Ref:185796)   #12
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone normally provides pretty boring races, but Donington seems the only other alternative. It would only need a litttle development, unlike Brands Hatch which would have to be dug up, and would take years to make into an F1 track.

I don't fancy the idea of a GP at Rockingham, the concept of the circuit is too American, and it doesn't have the history of the other circuits.
Old 14 Dec 2001, 10:09 (Ref:185800)   #13
Kelstea
Rookie

Kelstea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donnington/Rockingham

I honestly dont think the locals would allow a GP there has been huge opposition to having the circuit there let alone a GP.Also I believe there is really only one road in and one out at the moment both goes through a village.I understand though that Rockingham is now interested in the GP which origanally they were not.
Donnington,last time I went to Donnington (two years ago) I could not see a great deal of difference in traffic at Silverstone and traffic at Donnington.I feel the big mistake that year was putting the GP on in April knowing that Silverstone had car parking problems in the wet but FIA said it had to be and the fans reaped the result unfortunately.
I seriously feel though that with the improvements things will improve dramatically and now they have promised to drop the prices significantly(BBC this morning)in 2003 I think and hope the FIA will reconsider,especially as I feel the FIA must take a portion of the blame for what happened in 2000.
Octagon who have only been in charge for about eight months have done wonders in a short period of time and I hope theFIA will ackowldge this by allowing the GP.(fingers and toes crossed).
Old 14 Dec 2001, 22:49 (Ref:186004)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd prefer to see GPs at Brands or Donington to Silverstone but only if the current layouts remained. Sadly I don't see this happenning.

Silverstone was ruined, don't let it happen to these great circuits.