Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jun 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1003403)   #26
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RapidTron
if jpm couldnt even attempt a pass on tgf, i doubt a less talent like jv would have been anywhere close.
Why not?

He's done it before.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:10 (Ref:1003561)   #27
marvander
Rookie

marvander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lesser talent like JV...?

JPM hasn't achieved near what JV had at that point in his F1 career.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:21 (Ref:1003578)   #28
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Anyway, you're right that one driver won't change a thing
Agreed, but if I was forced to come up with a name it would be either Irvine (for his runaway mouth) or JV for his driving.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1003582)   #29
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Given the amount JV is asking (numbers up around what Ralf demanded rumor only)
The Grumpy1
So, what exactly is JV asking then? What you are suggesting is certainly different then what most rumours are suggesting, which is minimal salary, points incentives.

Interesting that many are suggesting that there are a number of drivers ahead of JV in the Williams shopping list. It may very well be true, but that some here make such statements in a factual manner is kind of amusing, providing Frank a little consulting on the side are we?
Old 14 Jun 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1003721)   #30
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by RapidTron
if jpm couldnt even attempt a pass on tgf, i doubt a less talent like jv would have been anywhere close.
HA HA... and what sport have you been watching. In terms of raw speed, I'd say it's close. In terms of racing intelligence and TALENT, JV wins hands down. JPM hasn't accomplished anything even near JV, and JV showed more maturity on the grid as an F1 rookie than JPM will ever know.
Old 14 Jun 2004, 16:17 (Ref:1003751)   #31
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
So, what exactly is JV asking then? What you are suggesting is certainly different then what most rumours are suggesting, which is minimal salary, points incentives.

Interesting that many are suggesting that there are a number of drivers ahead of JV in the Williams shopping list. It may very well be true, but that some here make such statements in a factual manner is kind of amusing, providing Frank a little consulting on the side are we?
LOL... It is humorous, isn't it!
Old 15 Jun 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1004870)   #32
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"tgf" ... ???

are we talking about fishy here? if so, what's the "t" stand for?

don't worry about me. i'm just dazed and confused ... situation normal.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 16:32 (Ref:1004976)   #33
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TGF = That German Fellow = Michael Schumacher = TGF
Old 15 Jun 2004, 16:34 (Ref:1004977)   #34
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Fogelhund
Well, we've had to put up with "factual statements" that a "JV test" is "imminent" since Melbourne.

Funnily enough, there wasn't any doubt cast over this by the JV fans. Despite his non-appearance so far.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 17:32 (Ref:1005019)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is a point here Knowlsey. Since Dixon the only other driver top need a test before anything is decided is an unemployed (very) ex WDC. All the others who have been mentioned by any Team Willy member have just had a "we are considering" type of comment.

So maybe it is laughable.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1005043)   #36
marvander
Rookie

marvander should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The bickering on this site is the real laugh!

Keep it up boys.
Old 15 Jun 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1005250)   #37
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My call .Webber and Jacques. Now thats an Ass kicking duo.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 00:18 (Ref:1007475)   #38
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's an actual quote (gasp) from Frank Williams from the FIA Thursday Press Conference regarding Villeneuve and Dixon:

"Well there is a list. We know we need drivers. We have a list, we have tested Scott, we may or may not test Jacques. The driver replacement is not directly in my focus but after the end of July things will become more clear at that time it will get more attention. The biggest problem now is making a winning racing car. Then the phone rings."

Read into it what you want, but at least it's an actual quote and not from "a source."
Old 18 Jun 2004, 00:47 (Ref:1007483)   #39
statsguy7
Rookie

statsguy7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An article on this Villeneuve from grandprix.com from a couple weeks ago:

The recent days have seen a great deal of talk in Formula 1 about what seem to be some very strange stories....

And mad as it may seem there is logic in that.

[EDIT] Please just quote short relevant bots from articles to make your point AND provide a reference or ideally a link - Copyright and all that. See the forum rules. Cheers. Adam [/EDIT]

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Jun 2004 at 07:24.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 01:52 (Ref:1007500)   #40
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quite an article! Quite a hypothesis!

So if this article is true, then Williams' strategy to take on and defeat Michael, arguably the most committed, focused driver ever and Ferrari - a team that is as focused as any has been in F1 - will be to take two guys who are not in F1 at the moment and use them to try to scare Michael (Boo!)!

This is brilliant! Mika walked away from F1 and so far as I know has not uttered a syllable of regret; and plucky JV, he of "unusual character" who basically failed to do at BAR what Michael did at Ferrari. And so with these two very focused and committed talents, Sir Frank is going to scare Michael into making mistakes. Maybe he could save a few million quid and just have Patrick Head put on a Mika or JV mask and wander about the paddock hiding amongst the trees they bring with them (instead of a competitive car) and leap out at Michael yelling: "Vroom!" Vrooom!"

Yep. Michael is just shaking in his driving boots over this prospect - cripes he probably is going to wet himself he is laughing so hard!

I know the true secret of beating Michael/Ferrari. I will tell you all if you promise not to try to sell the idea to Sir Frank (and everyone else in the Paddock).

Here it is: Get rid of the trees, the hospitality trailers, the rolling offices, the five star caterers and the guy who designed those ridiculous looking helmets the McLaren pit crew uses. Take all the money you saved from no longer needing the extraneous garbage and get the best engineers and designers you can and then build a car that is the equal, if not a teensy bit better than the Ferrari.

Then get yourself a good young driver from the current grid (there are several to choose from), put him in the car and tell him: "Shut up and drive." "No whining." "No option for next year unless I believe you are driving the snot out the car."

THEN you might see some results.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 02:49 (Ref:1007522)   #41
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I find it funny how journalists try to be dramatic about how "Michael's scared of blah blah blah"...

MS had no regrets nor fears about Jacques and Mika because he knew one thing - Both of those guys won him because they had far superior cars! In fact, it's those situations in 97/98 which strengthened MS's believe that he could beat anybody, because he knew that even with an inferior car, he could rely on Ferrari to push the car's developement, and he could rely on himself to bring the fight all the way to those 2 guys mentioned.

So you think MS is afraid of JV/Mika? The last time both guys had almost equal machinery in 2000, MS came out on top ~

And i think that MS would have lost much sleep seeing how Button had out-performed JV in his final F1 year.

Of course, if JV does find his way back and do well, i'd be glad for him... i'm always eager to see a driver display his skills.

But perhaps it's time people keep out the drama, keep out the speculations of how he'd show MS a$$, and be sensible about the whole issue.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 06:03 (Ref:1007560)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
John,

Good post.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 07:04 (Ref:1007589)   #43
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally stated by Frank Williams

Well there is a list. We know we need drivers. We have a list, we have tested Scott, we may or may not test Jacques.
That should actually clear the matters, those 2 option are becoming more obvious...
Old 18 Jun 2004, 10:19 (Ref:1007709)   #44
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Love or hate Jacques - he certainly seems capable of stirring the passions of a lot of ten-tenthers.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 13:24 (Ref:1007890)   #45
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we all agree on that!
Old 18 Jun 2004, 13:45 (Ref:1007908)   #46
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
...... and plucky JV, he of "unusual character" who basically failed to do at BAR what Michael did at Ferrari.....
To be fair, JV did not have Brawn or Todt along for the ride. He tried to do, by himself, what MS did with a posse. He also never insisted on being in a one car team.

Mike
Old 18 Jun 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1007942)   #47
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course he did insist to be in a "mine, mine I say" team. But that's not important anyway. Beating your teammate is not the goal. Beating the others is much better.

As for Brawn and Todt that he didn't have, while true, but recent form that BAR shows, only proves that most of the necessary prerequisites were already in place.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 17:03 (Ref:1008095)   #48
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

GtR....I think you'll find Schuey did fear Mika a lot. Through this, he gained Michaels respect.

I'm not sure about being scared about JV.......but he did rattle TGF's cage rather a lot!
Old 18 Jun 2004, 18:25 (Ref:1008157)   #49
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red

As for Brawn and Todt that he didn't have, while true, but recent form that BAR shows, only proves that most of the necessary prerequisites were already in place.
now even you know that's BS Red! EVERY SINGLE TEAM in modern F1 is going to take some time to develop into a contender. This year, no not 2003, this year, was the first year that Willis was able to produce the car that he wanted from scratch. BAR is now on Michelins because Bridgestone ignored them last year. Honda has picked up their game immensly now as well. Ahhh we've been through this a million times. I think the best thing is for JV to be given a competitive ride once again so he can have the opportunity to prove himself as to if he still has it.

He deserves that opportunity.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 18 Jun 2004, 18:47 (Ref:1008169)   #50
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He "deserves" nothing. If he can EARN it then he should be there. Life is about seizing the moment. Let's see if JV has the desire left in him to do that. And no article or thought of yours will resolve this issue untill the man himself makes an appearance in a test or signs a contract.