Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 5 Feb 2006, 23:01 (Ref:1516271)   #151
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CombeMarshal
An increase at night might work, but would probably just end up confusing everyone!!

That's a thing I'd like to see happen. But no doubt PC Plod would be out catching people 1 minute before the limit was raised..
Old 6 Feb 2006, 23:10 (Ref:1516940)   #152
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
Higher speed limit's not just about yourself and the car's capabilities, it's the fact other drivers may not be able to judge approaching car's speed correctly when overtaking.
Exactly. That's why top racing drivers tend to be dangerous on the roads. They can handle driving at hugely high speeds, but other drivers around them may not, and certainly wouldn't be expecting to be looking so far back for cars coming up really quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
1. Have to disagree with you here, since I've been driving I've seen the average ability of the young driver (anyone under25) go downwards.

Having driven abroad on quite a few occasions, I've found once you Understand Their rules it is better than the UK.

2. What is wrong with 100mph? if the conditions are right it can be safe.
What isn't are the MLM's and Holier than Thou drivers who sit in lanes 2 and 3 on the motorway oblivious to the traffic around them - drive to the conditions.
1. Fair enough. I haven't done any driving abroad, but was merely going on what I have heard from others. I guess it might depend on where we mean by abroad!

2. If the conditions are right? Maybe, but therein lies the problem - who decides when conditions are right? I have been passed by people cossetted in their 'comfortmobiles' (my car is relatively old and tends not to let me forget what I'm doing!) in appalling weather conditions. In the dry, I'll have happily gone passed, but when it gets wet or visibility is poor, some just carry on at the same speed and with the same gaps to the cars ahead.

Then, as touringlegend says, what about the people around you? The faster you go, the higher the speed differential between you and the slower traffic, giving everyone less time to spot each other and less time to react if things go wrong. I do sometimes feel that 70mph is a bit slow, but how much higher should it go?
Old 6 Feb 2006, 23:12 (Ref:1516942)   #153
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've said this somewhere else at some point in time, but i admire the german system. the speed limit on motorways is advisory, ie there is no speed limit unless there's one specified around junctions or you crash. people on the road have a lot more respect for each other.

personally i was absolutely fine with motorway driving, it didn't worry or bother me in the slightest. i'd spent so long in the passenger seat learning observation skills that it came naturally to check the mirrors and make sure there weren't any police cars before attempting a land speed record
Old 7 Feb 2006, 09:45 (Ref:1517087)   #154
siirx7
Rookie

siirx7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahhh my personal pet hate. In Oz we have signs that say keep left unless overtaking. But gee do reckon any of the idiots on today's roads take any notice of them??
Old 7 Feb 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1517098)   #155
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Nope, I always find the left lane moves the quickest as its always empty. On the downside, you find idiots parked in them every km or so, essentially reducing the width of the road by 1 lane.
Old 7 Feb 2006, 23:27 (Ref:1517638)   #156
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i've found that...
left lane runs at a more consistent speed on the m1 and m25, but it's not quicker because of the need to change lane to avoid the really slow people. the middle lane is usually quicker in very heavy stop start traffic, but the left lane is quicker at 20mph-ish traffic.
the right ("fast") lane is fastest, but it's also shockingly poor on fuel and the brakes, and you do need to be fairly awake because theres a lot of braking i tend to find.
and on the early morning commute, the last thing i am is awake, so i tend to sit in the left lane with occasional visits to the middle.

there ends bella's study of 3 lane motorway behaviour
Old 8 Feb 2006, 23:04 (Ref:1518418)   #157
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
i've found that...
the right ("fast") lane is fastest
Correction: According to the Highway Code the Right Lane is the "Overtaking" lane. The word "Fast" does not appear
Old 9 Feb 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1518932)   #158
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
i tend to sit in the left lane
Which is exactly what you're supposed to do unless overtaking
Old 9 Feb 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1518980)   #159
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Suspect that's why she used the quotes, Sheila
Old 9 Feb 2006, 17:59 (Ref:1519002)   #160
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And anyway, I thought we'd established that it isn't "fast" at all, cos it's full of lemmings.

Here's my moan for the day -
Warning, what follows is a rant and does not necessarily represent the opinions of Ten-Tenths.
(To be honest, it probably doesn't even represent the opinions of the poster when they aren't ranting.)

WHY THE FECK CAN'T PEOPLE PARK PROPERLY?!?!?!?!?

We now return you to our normal ramblings.
Old 9 Feb 2006, 18:06 (Ref:1519006)   #161
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That ****** me off bad!!!
Park with the flow of the traffic, not within 15 mtrs of a junction, nor a blind bend

Last edited by Bluebottle; 9 Feb 2006 at 20:18. Reason: see faq re autocensor dodging.
Old 10 Feb 2006, 13:18 (Ref:1519613)   #162
BGMS
Rookie

Germany
Wuppertal, Germany
BGMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well to be fair, it is pretty annoying if someone parks right at a junction. and parking only with the flow of traffic is only at night, isn't it?
Old 10 Feb 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1519830)   #163
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It maybe, but Comon sense should play a part of driving, how do you expect to see on coming traffic is there is another car parked in front of you, You have to pull half out before you can see, It's just lazy and Dangerous, plus, If it's at night the head lights 'dip' the wrong way and blind on coming cars
Old 12 May 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1606903)   #164
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just had a 'lady' driver in an old Merc. driving about 6 foot off my rear bumper at about 40mph, chatting away on mobile phone in right hand whilst endeavouring to hold the steering wheel AND a lighted cigarette in left hand. Dangerous menace or what!