Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Mar 2010, 02:14 (Ref:2657582)   #26
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Ex Mildura now in Hamilton NZ
mildura1963 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I will be attending & am looking forward to it, the track is currently being pieced together with minimal disruption for locals.

As for ticket sales, well Kiwi's are renowned for turning up on the day & not buying tickets in advance (ask the Rugby & Cricket guys).
Old 22 Mar 2010, 02:52 (Ref:2657587)   #27
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope it fails. It's a crap track. Then hopefully we can go back to Pukekoe or to Hampton Downs.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 20:30 (Ref:2658111)   #28
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Mate, better to have the race on "a crap tack" than not at all, do you seriously believe that the Wiggle will take the race to either of those tracks without them spending shed loads of money to bring them up to spec????
Old 27 Mar 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2661020)   #29
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
Mate, better to have the race on "a crap tack" than not at all, do you seriously believe that the Wiggle will take the race to either of those tracks without them spending shed loads of money to bring them up to spec????
How much more 'up to spec' does Hampton Downs need to be??
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 27 Mar 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2661169)   #30
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
How much more 'up to spec' does Hampton Downs need to be??
Hi Chatters,
There are two serious issues with Hampton Downs for NZV8's, let alone Australian Supercars.

1/ The circuit is only 2.8 k's in length.

2/ There are no pit Garages, and at the moment, no proper pit apron or other facilities.

There are also major problems for Promoters, as the apartment residents, have enshrined rights to occupy their track-side apartments, which means that selling hospitality at this circuit is a major problem.

Having said all that Hampton Downs have future plans to lengthen the circuit considerably, and to address the pit lane situation, but that is, as said, in the future, and does not address the commercial difficulty any promoter would, and will face making a profit at this venue.

I would also like to remind everybody that Pukekohe is still a very viable option, given an injection of cash to tart the old girl up, she is good for years to come.

As far as we, VEEGA, [NZ V Eight's Entrants Group Association] is concerned, Pukekohe will be around until the local residents force it to close.

Mark Petch.
CEO and Chairman,
VEEGA.
Old 27 Mar 2010, 20:09 (Ref:2661194)   #31
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post

Hi Mark,

why should this be an issue? Pukekohe is also 2.8kms, Teretonga is 2.6kms and Levels is only 2.4kms long, and the V8's are happy to run there?

I agree with your other points, and I have heard the body corp fees at HD are going to triple to help the track owners offset the loss in revenues because of people spectating from the apartments. I am sure this won't go down without a fight though. And this still won't address the issue a promoter will face either.

Will the Counties Racing Club will EVER spend any money "tarting the old girl up" or do they just see it as a cash cow that they will milk hard until it drops over from exhaustion or closes because of complaints from the newly established shopping centre next door about the noise? Or will it take someone else to stump up the money to install some proper facilities and repair the motocross humps that are so prevalent in this tired old track? It would be a real shame to see it disappear, but it does have that appearance of being rather unloved by its owners, apart from the money it generates them of course!

BD

BD
Old 27 Mar 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2661237)   #32
Mark Petch
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Hi Mark,

why should this be an issue? Pukekohe is also 2.8kms, Teretonga is 2.6kms and Levels is only 2.4kms long, and the V8's are happy to run there?

I agree with your other points, and I have heard the body corp fees at HD are going to triple to help the track owners offset the loss in revenues because of people spectating from the apartments. I am sure this won't go down without a fight though. And this still won't address the issue a promoter will face either.

Will the Counties Racing Club will EVER spend any money "tarting the old girl up" or do they just see it as a cash cow that they will milk hard until it drops over from exhaustion or closes because of complaints from the newly established shopping centre next door about the noise? Or will it take someone else to stump up the money to install some proper facilities and repair the motocross humps that are so prevalent in this tired old track? It would be a real shame to see it disappear, but it does have that appearance of being rather unloved by its owners, apart from the money it generates them of course!

BD

BD
My apologies BD,
the circuit I am told is not 2.8, but actually 2.6, which is short of the minimum international length of 2,8 K.

You make a good point with regard to Timaru being so short, but can you imagine 29 Australian Supercars running at Level?

I also understand that one of the other major problems Hampton Downs faces, is the complete absence of a "Control Tower"

Regarding Pukekohe, wheels are in motion, to see what can be done to lock down a 5 year deal with the Franklin [horse] Racing club. We VEEGA support these initiative's, because our Shareholder/Team owners like Puke as a race track.

Mark Petch.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 05:20 (Ref:2661372)   #33
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is the V8SA NZ Event contract with the Hamilton City Council or CSM?

Waikato media speculation suggests that the Hamilton City Council control the event, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 08:47 (Ref:2661516)   #34
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Bring Back Pukekohe

The Hamilton track is about as exciting as a warm Waikato Draught.
Old 28 Mar 2010, 23:41 (Ref:2662280)   #35
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
My apologies BD,
the circuit I am told is not 2.8, but actually 2.6, which is short of the minimum international length of 2,8 K.
Mark Oran Park was only 2.62km and was never a problem so I don't see Hampton Downs track length to be a serious issue for NZV8 or V8SA, unless someone is looking for an excuse (eg. byo alcohol in WA)
Old 29 Mar 2010, 00:13 (Ref:2662297)   #36
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Mark Oran Park was only 2.62km and was never a problem so I don't see Hampton Downs track length to be a serious issue for NZV8 or V8SA, unless someone is looking for an excuse (eg. byo alcohol in WA)
Except that Oran Park didn't need an international FIA track licence DRT, whereas Hampton Downs would - & there's a minimum length guideline in that. Might not be insurmountable but its a consideration.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 00:51 (Ref:2662314)   #37
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And why wouldn't Oran Park require an international track licence seeing as the V8's are running as an FIA International Cetegory? If this is the case there would be absolutely no diference between Oran Park and any other circuit used in the series (whether in Australia or not).

Remember - V8 Supercars is NOT an Australian Series.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 01:45 (Ref:2662330)   #38
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
And why wouldn't Oran Park require an international track licence seeing as the V8's are running as an FIA International Cetegory? If this is the case there would be absolutely no diference between Oran Park and any other circuit used in the series (whether in Australia or not).

Remember - V8 Supercars is NOT an Australian Series.
existing track vs new track? maybe it had dispensation as the category was already visiting there...??
Old 29 Mar 2010, 02:10 (Ref:2662343)   #39
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Spot on Axeman. The Australian circuits can run on a national licence as the tracks & licensing process have been shown to be appropriate over time for the category (and it's predecessors) but tracks in other countries need the International licence.

Basically the same deal that DTM runs on I believe.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 04:59 (Ref:2662376)   #40
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hi Chatters,

There are also major problems for Promoters, as the apartment residents, have enshrined rights to occupy their track-side apartments, which means that selling hospitality at this circuit is a major problem.

I'm not too sure if the "problem" is that bad. There is meant to be a pit complex built soon on the inside of the track opposite the start/finish line. Above the pits there will be a hospitality suite level. These facilities will be subject to a number of "clean" event dates which will mean that the entire complex is available to the event promoter. I would assume that the V8s would constitute a "clean" event.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2662476)   #41
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Hi Chatters,
There are two serious issues with Hampton Downs for NZV8's, let alone Australian Supercars.

2/ There are no pit Garages, and at the moment, no proper pit apron or other facilities.

Having said all that Hampton Downs have future plans to lengthen the circuit considerably, and to address the pit lane situation, but that is, as said, in the future, and does not address the commercial difficulty any promoter would, and will face making a profit at this venue.

I would also like to remind everybody that Pukekohe is still a very viable option, given an injection of cash to tart the old girl up, she is good for years to come.

As far as we, VEEGA, [NZ V Eight's Entrants Group Association] is concerned, Pukekohe will be around until the local residents force it to close.

Mark Petch.
CEO and Chairman,
VEEGA.
No worries Mark, Hampton Downs is apparently less then what I had thought it to be. Is it still under construction or has there been racing there?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Mar 2010, 09:00 (Ref:2662483)   #42
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
What a ridiculous heading this thread has.

The round is going ahead.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2662567)   #43
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This year peckie, but the discussion here is longer term.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 11:32 (Ref:2662582)   #44
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No worries Mark, Hampton Downs is apparently less then what I had thought it to be. Is it still under construction or has there been racing there?
It's been very active and I believe booked out in advance most weekends

http://www.hamptondowns.com/pages/56/Event%20Calendar

Recently had NZ Festival of Motor Racing (Formula 5000's plus many other old bangers) which I believe had many cars from all over the world attend. Does that get classed as an International event then?
Old 29 Mar 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2662914)   #45
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They have a number of infrastructure improvements scheduled into the future but can't remember all the details.

The issue with the apartments I don't see one. I've seen in the USA different tracks weigh the plusses and minuses and the apartment construction for Hampton Downs was a wise deal. Rather have that revenue up front rather than some vague hope for hospitality revenue from one event or two a year. And sounds like the hospitality crowd will be catered for at some point anyways.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 21:32 (Ref:2664468)   #46
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
Does anyone know what support categories are running with the V8's other than the Trans Tasman Utes?
Old 31 Mar 2010, 23:02 (Ref:2664516)   #47
opinion8head
Racer

New Zealand
Cow Country.
opinion8head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Suzuki's...or so I gathered from a quiet source.

light entertainment,and we wonder why the event appears doomed...
Old 31 Mar 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2664518)   #48
mildura1963
Racer

Australia
that's what I hate about motorsport over here tooooooo many one make series, I was hoping we might see the GT1/Transam's or NZ V8's...
Old 1 Apr 2010, 05:17 (Ref:2664582)   #49
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=mildura1963;2664518]that's what I hate about motorsport over here tooooooo many one make series, I was hoping we might see the GT1/Transam's or NZ V8's...[/QUOTE]

Isn't that a one make series as well.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 05:56 (Ref:2664590)   #50
Mark Petch
Veteran

[QUOTE=sizzle;2664582]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mildura1963 View Post
that's what I hate about motorsport over here tooooooo many one make series, I was hoping we might see the GT1/Transam's or NZ V8's...[/QUOTE]

Isn't that a one make series as well.
Now you are really taking the mickey! Our very genuine converted road car V8's will be Hamilton, making the passes up and down the field, unlike your custom made 4 door sports sedans, with opening doors, that follow each other around like trained sheep!

Just Kidding, but yes our cars will be Hamilton, so it will be "all on" for young and old alike.

Cheers,

Mark Petch