Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Nov 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3173168)   #1476
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the Bonhams Auction link to the Patrick Motor Sport car for anyone that hasn't seen it...

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/2014...D25&r1=10&m1=1
Old 30 Nov 2012, 04:54 (Ref:3173375)   #1477
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Thanks David!
Old 30 Nov 2012, 05:03 (Ref:3173376)   #1478
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The problem with it is what lies beneath, which is why the estimate may be low. The engine may have RS engineering covers but I'd be surprised if it was an original race engine, more likely to be a standard road lump. Hopefully, whoever buys it will get it track ready though.
Old 30 Nov 2012, 16:46 (Ref:3173614)   #1479
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The problem with it is what lies beneath, which is why the estimate may be low. The engine may have RS engineering covers but I'd be surprised if it was an original race engine, more likely to be a standard road lump. Hopefully, whoever buys it will get it track ready though.

Old 25 Dec 2012, 16:30 (Ref:3181852)   #1480
Alex E
Racer

Alex E should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TWR video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QifFNc2j31E&NR=1

Some info on their Rovers....
Old 28 Dec 2012, 06:26 (Ref:3182362)   #1481
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
At 6:08 you can see Ken Clarke.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3194607)   #1482
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow this car went for £22,425 !
Old 26 Jan 2013, 23:08 (Ref:3194647)   #1483
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
If you are referring to the ex Patrick Motorsport car, that is a Group1 car. They preceded GroupA.
Old 8 Feb 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3201165)   #1484
BMG Autobodies
Rookie

BMG Autobodies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Golden Wonder Rover SD1

We have just restored the Ken Wood 1983 Golden Wonder Rover SD1 on behalf of its owner, reg OOC 272X.
It can be seen at the North West stage of the Legends of Fire rally at the Norbreck Castle hotel today 8th Feb & tomorrow 9th Feb. Enjoy!
Caron, BMG Autobodies. www.bmgauto.co.uk
Old 9 Feb 2013, 08:53 (Ref:3201652)   #1485
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Thanks for the info, i'll move this to the rally version of this thread when I get a mo!
Old 10 Feb 2013, 18:54 (Ref:3202499)   #1486
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
That's interesting- I'd love to hear more about this- Presumably it's not been restored in the original shell, as IIRC wasn't it heavily shunted and rebuilt into a modified short-wheelbase bodyshell during Duncan Jaffray's ownership?
Old 2 Mar 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3213162)   #1487
n1tr0_9
Rookie

n1tr0_9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found this thread while searching google images for SD1 race car liveries. What a great source of info! Ive just bought a wide arch vitesse shell and its plain white, so i might do a retro race livery on it.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 05:45 (Ref:3213517)   #1488
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plain White? tell us more.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 18:49 (Ref:3213774)   #1489
n1tr0_9
Rookie

Its a bit of a mongrel with no race pedigree, but it looks cool. Thought i might add some historic style graphics instead of green slime.

Old 4 Mar 2013, 09:46 (Ref:3214002)   #1490
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Looks basically sound, and very familiar for some reason although I can't place it....

Where did you find it?
Old 4 Mar 2013, 10:11 (Ref:3214011)   #1491
n1tr0_9
Rookie

Lots of people seem to recognise it, either saying it was in Manchester or up on Pistonheads. But I bought it from the Reading area where the owner had it since 1994 and had used it as a trackday car. He kept the engine and was breaking it for parts with the shell being scrapped so i bought it to use for drifting.

http://www.driftworks.com/forum/drif...rover-sd1.html
Old 5 Mar 2013, 16:53 (Ref:3214630)   #1492
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well it certainly doesn't reflect any works bodywork because I think it's a series two with series one Group 2 wheel arches. But I like it. I hope it gives you loads of fun. And if you were to go for a livery that is slightly off the wall, what about the McGrath O'Donnell Estate Agents?
Old 21 May 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3251034)   #1493
TWR ROVER
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
TWR ROVER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi from NZ

its been a while since ive seen this thread .

TWR 018 has been pretty active in NZ historic racing over the last year or two and we have been to such events as the Southern Festival of speed , the Lead foot Festival and in January this year THE NZ FESTIVAL OF MOTOR RACING . This was atwo weekend event and a tribute to Denny Hulme .

Of course 018 is still in its original hand painted Bastos livery and still even has the names of Denny Hulme and Jeff Allum on its front guards.

The organisers wanted as many of the cars that Denny raced there as possible and it was amazing what came out of the wood work . It was great to meet Dennys wife and daughter there and they appreciated seeing the Rover again and presented a thank you letter .

There is now a dedicated group/class called Historic Touring cars, racing in NZ and these are mainly genuine ex group A cars from the eighties and nineties and we are getting some great fields and some very well presented cars, many in original sponsorship . They look and sound fantastic , especilally the TWR V8 on full song ....

The exciting news is that 018 now has a new home and actually lives at a race track . This is because in NZ we now have a brand new motorsport facility in Cromwell (SouthIsland of NZ near Queenstown). Its called Highlands Motosport park and its truly fabulous . Built by Scotsman Tony Quinn whom is well known in Australasian motorsport circles and opened
Easter 2013.

see www.highlands.co.nz for more details (well worth a look ).

At Highlands the National Motorsport Museum of NZ has just been opened and 018 is in there along with some pretty amazing company . Of course its not a static exhibit and along with a lot of the cars in there we can get them out and race them around what is NZ s best track !

so if you are in NZ this place is worth a visit !

regards

Allan Dippie
Old 21 May 2013, 10:39 (Ref:3251039)   #1494
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Hi Allan!

Lovely to see you back on here again and thanks for the update on 018!

How's 005 coming along?
Old 31 Aug 2013, 03:53 (Ref:3296449)   #1495
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Report from Channel 7's coverage of Bathurst in 1985, showing the TWR workshop with 10(!!!) Vitesses in various stages of repair:

http://youtu.be/QifFNc2j31E?t=5m14s
Old 23 Sep 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3308032)   #1496
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Allan Scott has reported that he has bought TWR 014 from Brian Kershaw and is taking it back to New Zealand early next month. That means 3 of the remaining 10 or so cars that we can probably account for will be over there!

Great that it will be in the hands of a top TWR man but also a shame in that it removes any possibility of us seeing it out in classic racing over here, although I suspect Allan will run it there ocassionally.

Last edited by chunterer; 30 Dec 2013 at 19:40.
Old 24 Sep 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3308832)   #1497
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lemansfan/9919545734/

Thee was a Rover Vitesse at the Spa 6h Race . Ex Walkinshaw / Percy Car . It raced in the British Sots Gt & Saloon Challenge .
Old 24 Sep 2013, 21:47 (Ref:3308932)   #1498
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansfan View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lemansfan/9919545734/

Thee was a Rover Vitesse at the Spa 6h Race . Ex Walkinshaw / Percy Car . It raced in the British Sots Gt & Saloon Challenge .
Bert Smeets has one, but could it have been the WIlliams's older car?
Old 25 Sep 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3309237)   #1499
AntA35
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Midlands
AntA35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Bert Smeets has one, but could it have been the WIlliams's older car?
Yes, it was the Williams car.
Old 26 Sep 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3309505)   #1500
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntA35 View Post
Yes, it was the Williams car.
Thanks Anthony, how did it go for you out there?

Tags
allan dippie, arg, armin hahne, btcc, eddy joosen, etcc, group 1, group a, jean-louis schlesser, jeff allam, john davenport, ken clarke, neville crichton, peter lovett, ron dickson, rover 3500, rover sd1, rover vitesse, steve soper, tom walkinshaw, tony pond, twr, win percy