Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1478048)   #1
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Preferred venues

Just thinking aloud during a quiet day in my cubicle, what other circuits that A1GP is not racing at this year would make good venues for future seasons?

Going by the (lack of) crowds this year Eurospeedway and Estoril should be dropped, Zandvoort and Brno should make good replacements as with their competitiveness should have a ready fan base on hand. Am working on the theory that larger countries (e.g. France) have enough major events already and will therefore attract less spectators.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:58 (Ref:1478067)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My choice of three European races for 2006/7 would be Brands Hatch, Zandvoort and Brno or Le Mans-Bugatti
Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1478068)   #3
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think A1 should be marketing itself as a "people's series" - what i mean by that is one for the fans, rather than those who want to watch racing rather than the intellectual chess game that F1 has become. So take it to circuits that mean something to the people, to the fans - circuits with some pedigree and history.

Thumbs up for Brands and Laguna Seca and the new territories like Dubai, China, Durban and Sentul.

But how about.....Le Mans, Spa, Adelaide, Jacarepagua, Long Beach (yes I'm dreaming but why not eh!!), Mexico City (in its old layout with the Peralta in full please). All of those would be fantastic additions to what is already a highly impressive series.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1478087)   #4
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Paul Ricard in the middle of no-where? Otherwise the full Ricard circuit would be great. Not a fan of Bugatti for cars really.

Australia for cars? Extended the season through to the clipsal 500, talk about coverage!

While I'm dreaming: Dundrod (sp?).
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:20 (Ref:1478170)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Paul Ricard would be great, but nowadays it's used only for testing.

Dundrdod? Blimey, that's a blast from the past. I don't think you could get the roads closed nowadays and it certainly wouldn't be safe enough. Don't let them anywhwere near Mondello, though - completely unsuitable.

Agreed about the Bugatti circuit at Le Mans, but otherwise K-b's choice is good.

Monza would be brilliant, but I don't know how well the Italians would respond to the concept, unless there was a really good Italian driver and a scarlet car!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1478186)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
what about rustling up a belgian team and going to spa?
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1478240)   #7
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
Does Bertrand Gachot still drive? Or would he have to represent a "European" team??
Old 6 Dec 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1478250)   #8
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell Park - Balders
Old 6 Dec 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1478349)   #9
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade
Cadwell Park - Balders
Cadwell.... they'd all beech at the top of the mountain and don't get me started on the chicane and barn! Doesn't mean I wouldn't go and watch!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1478359)   #10
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza

While I'm dreaming: Dundrod (sp?).
Correct spelling-unlike foxymoles!Only used for bikes since 1955-getting safety for spectators up to scratch would prove too costly methinks.
I would like to see races in countries that don't curently have a F1 race. It would then be the biggest event in that country.Mexico,South Africa,Indonesia,we have,so how about-Argentina,Holland,New Zealand,Austria,Sweden,Finland?
Old 6 Dec 2005, 18:05 (Ref:1478410)   #11
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zandvoort should be included along with More traditional circuits with character.

I know it won't happen but and I'm more than happy with Brands but the prospect of those cars at Church corner and Woodham Hill at Thruxton is very mouthwatering!!!!!
Old 6 Dec 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1478492)   #12
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella

Maybe they can use Didier Dufourny (bankrupt F1 organiser Spa) as manager.
He'll give himself a very good salary!!

But joking apart, it seems there is not enough money around.
Old 6 Dec 2005, 23:30 (Ref:1478591)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
Correct spelling-unlike foxymoles!
Yeah, yeah, I know. Finger trouble due to haste and the need to be on my way. Oh, and it should be "foxy mole's" if we're going to be picky!

Good idea about countries, though, except that perhaps you need ones that also have A1GP teams. Jos the Boss at Zandvoort would be a huge draw.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 01:53 (Ref:1478652)   #14
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Piggyback the event with Champ Car at Long Beach.
A sure-fire winner!
Old 7 Dec 2005, 02:00 (Ref:1478656)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Piggy back event at the Manx GP!

I'm trying to think of a better venue for Australia, but, alas we don't have that many great openwheel circuits.

Maybe Sandown? Or Sandown international?
Old 7 Dec 2005, 02:44 (Ref:1478670)   #16
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My choices would be Silverstone, Spa and Monza.
Old 7 Dec 2005, 17:47 (Ref:1479073)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
I'm trying to think of a better venue for Australia, but, alas we don't have that many great openwheel circuits.

Maybe Sandown? Or Sandown international?
It may have been suggested before, but what about Adelaide? Or Surfers Paradise?
Old 8 Dec 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1479563)   #18
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adelaide would be great. If they all use their boost button at the beginning of the back straight...how many cars can fit across the track side by side going into the hairpin?

I would prefer to avoid direct comparisons with F1, even though Sepang was great. Would therefore be hesitant about Spa.

New Zealand might happen when a planned new circuit is finished in 2008. It would be the biggest motorsport event in NZ for 30 years.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1479567)   #19
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
I was trying to think of some great open wheel tracks that weren't temp. street courses.

But yeah, as you say, Adelaide or Surfers would be great.
Old 8 Dec 2005, 19:04 (Ref:1479929)   #20
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The euro speedway is a dead boring track so its replacment should be the Sachsenring.
An italian round would be good at Vallelunga, Mugello and especially Enna.

A1 should avoid the comparrison to F1 by using the same track,
the (comparitive to f1) lack of speed shouldnt distract you form the good racing.

The only safe place for A1 gp in australia is probaly Eastern Creek but it would be sooooo cool to see them at bathurst......mmmmm conrod straight....
Old 9 Dec 2005, 08:33 (Ref:1480254)   #21
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Absolutely at Bathurst. That would be excellent. Not sure I agree about the speed comparison to F1 being a huge problem. I would hope that there would be so much more overtaking and battling than in F1 that people wouldn't notice.
Old 12 Dec 2005, 21:40 (Ref:1482624)   #22
Milanostah
Rookie

Milanostah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The NORISRING!
Old 12 Dec 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1482629)   #23
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about piggy-backed with Champ Car at Surfers ?

What a weekend that would be !

I'm sure Sheik M. wants the event in a 'stand-alone' format, but until a mass audience is attracted better to shoot for maximum exposure
Old 12 Dec 2005, 23:32 (Ref:1482709)   #24
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats wrong with Phillip Island? Bathurst is great but too hard to bring up to openwheeler standard.
Even better a street circuit in one of our ski resorts--off season,plenty of accomodation,great sight lines because its hilly,camping areas could be arranged for visitors,there are pubs,restaurants and milder summer climate.Perisher? Jindabyne?