Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Feb 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2633331)   #101
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember a NASCAR Winston Cup race at Charlotte being stopped because fs a toilet block leaking its contents onto the circuit
Old 14 Feb 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2633387)   #102
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Daytona 500, just a few minutes ago, "track repairs"!! Hahahahaha!
Old 14 Feb 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2633391)   #103
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal View Post
I remember a NASCAR Winston Cup race at Charlotte being stopped because fs a toilet block leaking its contents onto the circuit
See, times change. Back in 1970 a NASCAR race continued without a stoppage despite there being a police raid taking place under the infield during the race. Apparently someone thought it was the best place to hide a still...
Old 19 Feb 2010, 21:16 (Ref:2636581)   #104
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
See, times change. Back in 1970 a NASCAR race continued without a stoppage despite there being a police raid taking place under the infield during the race. Apparently someone thought it was the best place to hide a still...
Historically correct, the whole NASCAR gig started as a place to give the moonshine runners somewhere to race
Old 19 Feb 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2636641)   #105
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember the Le Mans Series race at a very windy Silverstone in 2007 (I think) that ran under the safety car for several laps while loose advertising hoardings were cut down from the gantry between Copse & Becketts (apologies if this has already been mentioned).
Old 20 Feb 2010, 00:42 (Ref:2636692)   #106
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember that one well, it was me who reported the loose signage (flagging at Maggots) just before the race start. I got the impression they weren't keen on delaying the start, so it was fortunate the first piece that fell off narrowly missed an oncoming car. SC was scrambled very quickly after that.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 13:21 (Ref:2637015)   #107
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I remember that one well, it was me who reported the loose signage (flagging at Maggots) just before the race start. I got the impression they weren't keen on delaying the start, so it was fortunate the first piece that fell off narrowly missed an oncoming car. SC was scrambled very quickly after that.
I've got a couple of great photos of the pack behind the SC slowly making their way around the cherry picker on the track. When one of the hoardings was cut down, it blew over the fence & was caught by a speccy!
Old 16 Nov 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2987117)   #108
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although not a race stoppage it's an unusual track blockage that occured today at Sandown during the set up for this weekends V8 Supercar round.

A crane truck was driving around the circuit (in the wrong direction mind you) delivering porta loos for the marshals and the driver decided to save time by not folding up his truck mounted crane.

Good thing it's only an advertising sign and not a pedestrian bridge but certainly is a timely reminder to those who drive high vehicles on race tracks.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 12:47 (Ref:2987208)   #109
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reminicent of Pusan F3 in Korea with BRSCC back in the ...... (am I really that old. ) Same scenario, delayed racing for the rest of day. I don't have pics - Bodysnatcher may have.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2987226)   #110
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was the May meeting at the HKC at Rye House in 2000, the meeting was abandoned due to the track flooding.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 14:41 (Ref:2987248)   #111
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart_racer View Post
I think it was the May meeting at the HKC at Rye House in 2000, the meeting was abandoned due to the track flooding.
Rye House has constantly suffered from flooding since it first opened 40+ years ago as a consequence of it's geography. The track and surrounding terrain have been completely submerged on quite a number of occasions.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 14:49 (Ref:2987254)   #112
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We had a delay between sessions at the VSCC meeting at Donington when it reopened after the F1 debacle which was caused by the catch pond in the building site overflowing. I seem to recall the radio call was something like "we have a river flowing across the Old Hairpin"
Old 16 Nov 2011, 16:26 (Ref:2987282)   #113
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember a rallycross meeting at Croft in 1990 when a race was started despite the fact that there was a car upside down in the tyrewall at Chequers Corner with marshals, St John, Recovery and Rescue in attendance. Result frantic radio calls for a stop, a marshals bomb burst in diving for safety and one very embarrassed CofC with a dent in his wallett after buying the marshals a drink in the bar after the meeting

Last edited by ascarmarshal; 16 Nov 2011 at 16:27. Reason: spelling
Old 16 Nov 2011, 16:55 (Ref:2987298)   #114
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Rye House has constantly suffered from flooding since it first opened 40+ years ago as a consequence of it's geography. The track and surrounding terrain have been completely submerged on quite a number of occasions.
Yes mate

Having raced there in the late nineties through to the early noughties, it did suffer from being water logged. It was the only time I had been there where the club had to abandon the meeting. Its happened a few times since I have been told.

They have recently completed extensive drainage works so it should never happen again.

I do love Rye though! Great circuit!
Old 16 Nov 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2987397)   #115
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy View Post
Reminicent of Pusan F3 in Korea with BRSCC back in the ...... (am I really that old. ) Same scenario, delayed racing for the rest of day. I don't have pics - Bodysnatcher may have.
I think this is the one you mean. Not quite a race stopper as it happened after a session. The little Hyundai being used for recovery was the culprit.

(2001 - A mere yesterday. )

Regards

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
CNV00022.jpg  
Old 16 Nov 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2987400)   #116
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy View Post
Jim W was closer, anyhoo, it was Changwong Bob.

made me go and look for pic just for the old memories

half way along the top straight - truck vs hoarding

then you made me resurrect my google map..

anything you want to add for posterity? It's kind of like Birmingham's street race, very short life span as a circuit. Best we remember it now.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msi...008676,0.01929

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 16 Nov 2011 at 20:25. Reason: damn, he beat me....
Old 16 Nov 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2987405)   #117
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart_racer View Post
Yes mate

Having raced there in the late nineties through to the early noughties, it did suffer from being water logged. It was the only time I had been there where the club had to abandon the meeting. Its happened a few times since I have been told.

They have recently completed extensive drainage works so it should never happen again.

I do love Rye though! Great circuit!
There are also plenty of 'lakes' in the infield if you're unfortunate enough to visit the scenery - as I have been on more occasions than I care to remember. You're right, they've done a lot to the drainage and also fitted pumps around the circuit, as well as acquiring one [or maybe two] fire engines. The venue is steeped in history, one of British motorsport's hallowed grounds. It's a great circuit and the improvements to the facilities over the last 5 years have made it even better.

... I'll be expecting a waiver of the practice fee the next time I go there for that plug
Old 16 Nov 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2987457)   #118
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This year's TT, can't remember which day. A shower of rain had fallen just south of Ramsey, on the Hairpin. The previous day, a race had been started on a wet track and several riders had fallen over, so the start on this day was delayed. And delayed. And delayed. etc.etc.

Even though the rest of the Island was hot and sunny, the course is overshadowed by trees at the Hairpin, so it wasn't drying out. Two or three times, I think, the course was handed over to Mitsubishi to drive a demo lap in WRC cars. A demo lap, singular. Why didn't the CoC tell them to drive repeatedly over the wet patch at race , or as near race speed as was safe, and dry it out. It was a nice sunny day, but by the gods it was boring!

John
Old 17 Nov 2011, 08:52 (Ref:2987603)   #119
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The venue is steeped in history, one of British motorsport's hallowed grounds. It's a great circuit and the improvements to the facilities over the last 5 years have made it even better.
For real? They have gone heavily down the corporate-karting route now and while they have tarted it up nicely with red-brick run-offs, they have also littered it with garish karting sculptures/water-features/flower-beds. It feels like you're racing around a circus fair-ground (the sort you see in nightmares) rather than a race-track.....
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:27 (Ref:2987686)   #120
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
Your right. Some of the stuff they have done is OTT. Shame really.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 12:32 (Ref:2987696)   #121
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To Jim & Bodysnatcher, yes, you are right. My trouble is I use real memory, while you both use archives. LOL
Old 17 Nov 2011, 14:29 (Ref:2987741)   #122
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
For real? They have gone heavily down the corporate-karting route now and while they have tarted it up nicely with red-brick run-offs, they have also littered it with garish karting sculptures/water-features/flower-beds. It feels like you're racing around a circus fair-ground (the sort you see in nightmares) rather than a race-track.....
Yes I agree with you on that... I'm no fan of the flower beds and the rubbish on the inside of Stadium... I was talking here about the facilities rather than the track i.e. things like the new control tower, club house, hard standing pits etc... It's altogether more civilized and comfortable than it was years ago. Wish they had a toilet near the scrutiny hut... still end up running under the railway bridge for a leak while we're on the dummy grid
Old 17 Nov 2011, 16:41 (Ref:2987805)   #123
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
Quote:
Yes I agree with you on that... I'm no fan of the flower beds and the rubbish on the inside of Stadium... I was talking here about the facilities rather than the track i.e. things like the new control tower, club house, hard standing pits etc... It's altogether more civilized and comfortable than it was years ago. Wish they had a toilet near the scrutiny hut... still end up running under the railway bridge for a leak while we're on the dummy grid
Oh the local pee spot. I remember. Used it when I did some testing this year there.

What have they done to the inside of stadium ?
Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2987882)   #124
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

In the meantime, back on topic....
Old 19 Nov 2011, 00:51 (Ref:2988578)   #125
Steve Burns
Racer

United Kingdom
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Steve Burns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had to delay the start of the Ginetta GT Supercup race at Silverstone this year as the Medical Car had shed its load of medical equipment across the circuit at Brooklands