Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 7 Aug 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2741007)   #1
propracer
Rookie

Luxembourg
Sunny Southern California
propracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1963 Canadian F1 Stebro Mk4

Greetings fellow racers,
I am currently restoring the canadian built Stebro Mk 4 Formula 1 car which was driven to a 7th place finish by it's builder, Peter Broeker, at the 1963 US World Championship Grand Prix held at Watkins Glen.

I am looking for a pic that shows the back end of the car at that event, since Peter elected to modify the engine cover for the car's subsequent entries into European F2 races (no, there never was a Mk5) and then Libre and FB races later on.

There were over 20,000 Canadian fans in attendance at that race, and someone must have shot a pic showing the back end of the car while in the pits or on the track.

Let me know if you can dig up anything related to the Stebro Mk 4. It was race number 21.

Thank you.
Luc
Old 7 Aug 2010, 17:40 (Ref:2741015)   #2
propracer
Rookie

Luxembourg
Here's is a picture of Peter at the wheel of his Stebro Mk4 at Watkins Glen in 1963. The picture was kindly provided to me by the Watkins Glen Motorsports Library.

I am looking for a pic or film that shows the rear end of the car.
Thank you.
Luc
Attached Thumbnails
stebro10001.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2742059)   #3
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Luc

I think some images were posted on CMSHG a year or two ago. Have you tried there?

Can you satisfy my curiosity about that car? Did Broeker actually build another Stebro after it or did he continue to race the ex-F1 Mk 4 as a Formula B right up to when he started buying Chevrons?

Thanks

Allen Brown

Editor
OldRacingCars.com
Old 10 Aug 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2742805)   #4
propracer
Rookie

Luxembourg
Hi Allen:
Peter Broeker never built another car after the Stebro Mk4 - F1 car.

In 1964 Peter installed a 1 litre engine to compete in the European F2 series. Considering that Peter was around 220 lbs and was using a standard customer engine some of his F2 results are actually quite astonishing. His immediate competition were factory entries driven by young, very talented and light drivers.

In 1965 Peter installed a twin cam into the Mk 4 and participated in many FLibre and FB races. They proved to be a formidable combination as he ended up winning over 90% of the races entered. The Stebro Mk4 featured a few different engine covers throughout it's career and in 1965 Peter also modified the front end slightly to accept a larger radiator to keep that twin cam cool. He also changed the aluminium bodywork around the front of the cockpit slightly at that time.

The end of the Stebro Mk4's racing career came against a banking at Mont Tremblant in 1968. Peter rebuilt the car, but found the handling to be suspecious and switched to Chevrons. It was later proven that Peter had missed some chassis cracks during his repairs and hence the car no longer handled the way it did initially.

As Peter raced Chevrons into the 1970's, he still took the old Stebro Mk4 (sporting 1965 bodywork) along on race week-ends to use as an advertising display for his Stebro aftermarket exhaust company. Along with the car he used 3 large display boards that tell the story of the Stebro Mk 4 in his words and pictures. I have those original boards in my posession.

He painted the Chevrons in the same black and white scheme as the Stebro Mk 4, hence some people confuse the Chevron with the Stebro Mk 4 in 1965 FB bodywork configuration, which look very much alike.

I hope this helps.

As I said, any help is greatly appreciated to find a rear shot of the car at the 1963 US GP at Watkins Glen.

Kind regards,
Luc
Old 11 Aug 2010, 09:46 (Ref:2742971)   #5
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Luc. I found six images in the CMSHG stuff but none show the rear unfortunately.

And I now see that you were involved in that correspondence.

Allen
Old 11 Aug 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2743098)   #6
propracer
Rookie

Luxembourg
There is one picture on the CMSHG website that claims showing Peter Broeker in his Stebro. It is actually Peter in the Chevron. The Chevron sports little front wing attachments whereas the Stebro does not.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2743101)   #7
propracer
Rookie

Luxembourg
A couple of the pics on that site show the Stebro Mk3 which was a Formula Junior only built in late 1961.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2743811)   #8
propracer
Rookie

Luxembourg
Quote:
Originally Posted by propracer View Post
A couple of the pics on that site show the Stebro Mk3 which was a Formula Junior only built in late 1961.
Actually, the Stebro Mk2 was "mid-engined" formula junior car and that is the one shown on the Canadian site. The Mk3 was a modified Sadler sports racer.
I've received some great help and leads so far. Thank you to all.
Luc
Old 13 Aug 2010, 11:19 (Ref:2744001)   #9
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

Just looking at the race record of the Stebro in 1968 and I'm unclear when it had its accident. Broeker was 2nd in the Stebro at Mont-Tremblant in 21 July and then 2nd and 24th respectively in the regional and national races at Mosport Park on 25 August. A week later, Broeker drove the "Stebro-Chevron", a brand new production Chevron B14, at Lime Rock and six days after that at Trois-Rivières where he qualified on pole. I may have something wrong in this because I'm having trouble making it fit with Broeker crashing the Stebro at Mont Tremblant, repairing it, racing again (?) and only then moving to Chevrons.

Do you know the date of the Mont Tremblant accident?

By the way, would it be possible to get pictures of those storyboards? My email is allen@oldracingcars.com if you don't want to post them here.