Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Mar 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2649697)   #1
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying format 2010

just a quick question, I'm sure the answer is around but I can't be bothered to trawl through pages of threads..

Are they allowed to qualify on low fuel this year and then refuel, or are they going into the top ten shoot out with full tanks?

ta
Old 11 Mar 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2649700)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Low fuel. Instead of doing it with race fuel, they're compensating with the introduction of another artificial element - using the same tyres that you start the race on
Old 11 Mar 2010, 17:07 (Ref:2649703)   #3
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ahh that makes sense kinda.. It's good that the final laps will be the fastest, unlike recent years when Q2 was the fastest session.

It's a shame they can't just go for it though, I see no reason (apart from the saving the cost of a set of tyres) to handicap the final shoot out..
Old 11 Mar 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2649704)   #4
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
bbc says low fuel.
After qualifying all cars will get filled to the brim & positions 11 and lower get fresh tyres (which means just sneaking into the top 10 shootout will be a bad thing - go figure).
Old 11 Mar 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2649705)   #5
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So can they change their tyres during qualifying?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2649716)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2649755)   #7
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
So can they change their tyres during qualifying?
but they must start the race on the tyres which they set their fastest qualifying time with. that way they cant set a quick time in the middle of qualifying then swap to race tyres and do a slow lap.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2649759)   #8
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
but they must start the race on the tyres which they set their fastest qualifying time with. that way they cant set a quick time in the middle of qualifying then swap to race tyres and do a slow lap.
That does not make sense with me. How can the stewards keep count of which set of tyres was the one set with which a driver scored the fastest time?
What penalty will they serve to a driver who starts the race on the wrong set of tyres? Plus 10 grid positions in the next event? A stop and go penalty?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2649774)   #9
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i presume they have some sort of barcode scan system (and the teams are responsible for keeping records etc, IIRC thats how pirrelli keep track of what tyres WRC drivers are using etc
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:13 (Ref:2649870)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous View Post
bbc says low fuel.
After qualifying all cars will get filled to the brim & positions 11 and lower get fresh tyres (which means just sneaking into the top 10 shootout will be a bad thing - go figure).
It was a bad thing already, only last season it was better to be 11th than 10th so you could do what you wanted with your fuel strategy, this time it's tyres. I can't see the need for all the tinkering, personally...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2649879)   #11
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
It was a bad thing already, only last season it was better to be 11th than 10th so you could do what you wanted with your fuel strategy, this time it's tyres. I can't see the need for all the tinkering, personally...
Not really. I'd much rather be in the top 5 on the grid at a place like Barcelona or Valencia or Singapore than 11th. After all, with very little overtaking at all of those tracks, you've got a bigger chance of winning from inside the top 5 than you have from 11th.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:38 (Ref:2649896)   #12
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Not really. I'd much rather be in the top 5 on the grid at a place like Barcelona or Valencia or Singapore than 11th. After all, with very little overtaking at all of those tracks, you've got a bigger chance of winning from inside the top 5 than you have from 11th.
But would you not rather be on fresh rubber in eleventh than used rubber in tenth?

I know i would
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2649901)   #13
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezza7 View Post
But would you not rather be on fresh rubber in eleventh than used rubber in tenth?

I know i would
In a Sauber in the top 5, if you listen to Bridgestone's word, won't make any differance.
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2649909)   #14
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This tyre business is just to make Q3 different from Q2 - my idea would be to have Q3 as a top 10 reverse grid race, 5 laps, winner takes pole and so on down to 10....
Old 11 Mar 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2649910)   #15
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
want about days when the rain comes on one day and then dry the other day (or the other way around)?
Old 11 Mar 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2649913)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then all bets are off. Just like they were before.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 03:50 (Ref:2650043)   #17
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I quite like qualifying to a knockout process but just let the teams go for it in each session and start the race with a clean slate.

The artificial bit would be to limit the cars to 3 or 4 sets per weekend. It would make the tyre manufacturer make a durable tyre and possibly limit the amount of marbles left on track during the race.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 14:16 (Ref:2651034)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
last season it was better to be 11th than 10th so you could do what you wanted with your fuel strategy
Last year you could refuel, only that you were forced to publish how much. Secrets win over being fast in F1...

The current system is great.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2651083)   #19
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Last year you could refuel, only that you were forced to publish how much. Secrets win over being fast in F1...

The current system is great.
I disagree. In the current qualifying format drivers still can't show their true one-lap pace.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2651128)   #20
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
9 out of the top 10 were slower in Q3 than Q2
Old 13 Mar 2010, 17:33 (Ref:2651131)   #21
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Q3 was a bit of an anti-climax for me. Everyone did a single lap - nobody could try putting in a 2nd or 3rd attempt as they would have to start on some very work tyres.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 17:47 (Ref:2651138)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The long lap didn't help. Although I thought some had two goes.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2651150)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I never understood how 11th was an advantage to 10th in previous years. I do not understand it this year either.

In previous years, you could put as much fuel as you liked in Q3. You don't want to be "disadvantaged" to 11th place? Put in as much fuel as you want, then don't do a lap.

This year if you don't want to be "disadvantaged" to 11th place, then don't set a time in Q3. You get to start on whatever tyres you want.

This issue is only ever going to be affecting those who are going to be lining up in that 8th-12th region of speed. Whether they participate in Q3 in anything more than on paper is absolutely up to them: nothing says they have to run laps.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 18:15 (Ref:2651151)   #24
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The long lap didn't help. Although I thought some had two goes.
I hadn't got a clue what was going on, I suddenly discovered I hadn't got Java on my new laptop and the install triggered from the browser didn't work properly. Without the live timing and without the sidebar ranking graphic that FOM TV saw fit to remove for this race it didn't make any sense at all.

Thank goodness I will have live timing for the race as I have got Java working by going to the Sun site and downloading the installer. I think it was formula1.com's fault, it seemed to link to an older Java runtime installer which doesn't work with Windows 7. They really ought to know better.

I was surprised and dissapointed with the new graphics as I say it was very hard to follow, I hope they hear the feedback and improve it for Australia.
Old 13 Mar 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2651176)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
9 out of the top 10 were slower in Q3 than Q2
Setup is still compromised by parc ferme regulations, so we're still unlikely to see the fastest times being set in Q3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo View Post
Q3 was a bit of an anti-climax for me. Everyone did a single lap - nobody could try putting in a 2nd or 3rd attempt as they would have to start on some very work tyres.
I agree it was an anti-climax but the Ferraris and McLarens did 2 runs