Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2650297)   #76
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a possibility that maybe HRT will look to skip the rest of these fly aways and seek permission to spend a few days testing?
Old 12 Mar 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2650320)   #77
diddy100
Racer

England
Within ear shot of Snetterton !
diddy100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All this bad press by certain drivers etc about the new teams - we all knew it would take time and current pace is as per expected. If the the so called elite teams / drivers can't race and overtake the slower cars then there is a bigger problem. Remember Ken Tyrell giving his drivers a right roasting if they moved over and lost time to let cars past. The new teams need help and I feel the same they should have let HRT run a few installation laps before today.
We can't let F1 get like the Premier League with 4 top teams and the rest also rans - will we see Chelsea & Man Utd complaing about Hull etc saying they should not be in the same league as them !! Come on give the new boys a chance as F1 needs full grids
Old 12 Mar 2010, 14:14 (Ref:2650323)   #78
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've just been looking at the gaps between 1st and last in first quali sessions of the season since 1990 and it honestly doesn't look to bad. The track length is clearly distoring things

This is the pace in percentages from FP2 alone:

N Rosberg (Mercedes) - 1:55.409
H Kovalainen (Lotus) - 104.73%
J Trulli (Lotus) - 104.84%
T Glock (Virgin) - 105.74%
L di Grassi (Virgin) - 105.87%
B Senna (HRT) - 110.02%

Now if this was equated to last year's Q1-topping time by Rubens at Albert Park

N Rosberg - 1:25.006
H Kovalainen - +4.025
J Trulli - +4.111
T Glock - +4.882
L di Grassi - +4.993
B Senna - +8.514

Essentially Lotus are only half a second off where Spyker were in 2007, which is a remarkable achievement considering they started from scratch and were only established in September whilst Spyker were using an updated old car having been racing for 16 years. And the Virgin has more speed to come when they stop having problems (Glock had another in FP2 and didn't run much but was faster than the Loti in FP1)
Old 12 Mar 2010, 14:30 (Ref:2650341)   #79
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Considering this was their first actual running of the car HRT did a remarkable job. I was mightily impressed that Bruno got the car round on its first ever lap without it stopping.

There has been countless examples of more established or better funded teams not even managing that on a first run in the past!

That car looks damn good as well in that gunmetal greay and seeing that yellow and green striped helmet in F1 again, well......

As much as I would worry that one or two of these new cars could be mobile chicanes, I think the leading drivers should just belt up and get on with their jobs, they have such a speed advantage they shouldn't get held up in any case.

Rosberg was impressive in both sessions as was Button I thought, although JB's rear tryes looked to have quite nasty dark lines through them very early in his first session running? Didn't see much of the 2nd session so not sure if it was the same for him?

Not sure we've seen the best of the Red Bull's yet?
Old 12 Mar 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2650366)   #80
tux1234
Racer

Surely there is enough run off that if the lead battle was coming up to 1 of the newer cars they can just run off the circuit and let the leaders by?
Old 12 Mar 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2650370)   #81
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux1234 View Post
Surely there is enough run off that if the lead battle was coming up to 1 of the newer cars they can just run off the circuit and let the leaders by?
Or the leaders can just use the run off to drive round them!

Seriously though in other forms of motor sport there are multiple classes on track at once and much greater speed differences surely the 'best drivers in the world' can cope with the situation.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2650390)   #82
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
So, about 110% over a whole lap, lets say 10% down on top speed. That about 180 vs 200mph worst case. So a 20mph difference.

Just to put it in to perspective, Usain Bolt can run at over 25mph.....
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2650395)   #83
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's more grip than top speed at this stage. From the onboard, the car was clearly a nightmare to drive into, through and out of the corners

Plus Bruno clearly wasn't pushing as hard as he could - obviously he doesn't want a prang and he's only ever driven an F1 car once before. So you have to take that into consideration - with a more experienced driver, you can take off another couple of seconds. A few races down the line and they'll be OK - it's just getting through this difficult first phase. Had they been running since January as planned, they would certainly be mixing it with the other new teams
Old 12 Mar 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2650400)   #84
tux1234
Racer

Nice to see the Lotus guys trim 3 seconds off their time from practice 1. I really hope both HRT cars make it to the grid on sunday, they deserve it for all the hard work over the past 2 weeks.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 16:14 (Ref:2650409)   #85
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Just to put it in to perspective, Usain Bolt can run at over 25mph.....
Yeah, but that's without the driver.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 17:12 (Ref:2650453)   #86
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy100 View Post
The new teams need help and I feel the same they should have let HRT run a few installation laps before today.
the car wasn't even ready for a roll-out before today. apparently the car didnt even have any wiring before wednesday!
Old 12 Mar 2010, 17:18 (Ref:2650456)   #87
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quite right and IIRC HRT was the only car out there not plashing about all kinds of plank dust over that speed bump they call turn whatever-it-was, all sort of adjustments still to be had, seems to me.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 17:22 (Ref:2650459)   #88
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor View Post
the car wasn't even ready for a roll-out before today. apparently the car didnt even have any wiring before wednesday!
So HRT have worked that hard - they deserve a place on the grid.

Remember today was only a shakedown. I'd wipe 2 seconds off that by the end of tommorow (if both drivers can get some good running done), still a long way off, but nowhere near as bad. Remember, the race is purely a test session for HRT.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2650468)   #89
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm not sure why there's a great deal of surprise over Nico Hulkenberg putting in a good time; he was virtually unstoppable in his championship season in A1GP. Now Petrov, that is a pleasant surprise to see him get the Renault up there.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 17:50 (Ref:2650479)   #90
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant't wait for quali tomorrow.

We can finally see who's fastest!!
Old 12 Mar 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2650507)   #91
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny that all the focus is on the new teams when there's a pretty good storyline going on at one of the Big4. Red Bull's going through some pretty major difficulties with the RB6 at Bahrain. Listening to Vettel talk about the car's handling sounded like it was an absolute nightmare.

I would've thought that RBR was the last of the Big4 to suffer from major handling issues due to the amount of carryover from the RB5. Lack of testing mileage showing? Surely Valencia's layout lends itself to the first 2/3 of the lap at Bahrain...
Old 12 Mar 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2650520)   #92
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
It's more grip than top speed at this stage. From the onboard, the car was clearly a nightmare to drive into, through and out of the corners

Plus Bruno clearly wasn't pushing as hard as he could - obviously he doesn't want a prang and he's only ever driven an F1 car once before. So you have to take that into consideration - with a more experienced driver, you can take off another couple of seconds. A few races down the line and they'll be OK - it's just getting through this difficult first phase. Had they been running since January as planned, they would certainly be mixing it with the other new teams
I can't give you a source, except that I found this very candid comment from Bruno on Facebook
Quote:
"i think it has been in a bad crash and not repaired properly"
Jean Todt also wants to go with the 107% rule, but not until next season.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 19:08 (Ref:2650541)   #93
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Based on practice 107% is OK for Lotus and Virgin. The only car that set a time and failed was Senna.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 19:10 (Ref:2650545)   #94
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I thought Schumacher was going to change his hemlet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Based on practice 107% is OK for Lotus and Virgin. The only car that set a time and failed was Senna.
Of the new teams, I think HRT are most likely to not last the season, so it might not be much of an issue.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 20:53 (Ref:2650607)   #95
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Also, having watched the FP1, the HRT car looked a right handful, oversteer and understeer in bucketloads, mainly oversteer.

Last edited by Sodemo; 12 Mar 2010 at 21:00.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2650611)   #96
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe View Post
Funny that all the focus is on the new teams when there's a pretty good storyline going on at one of the Big4. Red Bull's going through some pretty major difficulties with the RB6 at Bahrain. Listening to Vettel talk about the car's handling sounded like it was an absolute nightmare.

I would've thought that RBR was the last of the Big4 to suffer from major handling issues due to the amount of carryover from the RB5. Lack of testing mileage showing? Surely Valencia's layout lends itself to the first 2/3 of the lap at Bahrain...
I would have thought that reliability in general is the biggest concern for Red Bull at the moment. They have had various issues throughout winter... and now both cars have problems on the first day of official practice...
Old 12 Mar 2010, 21:00 (Ref:2650614)   #97
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The fastest lap of a Hispania so far this weekend is actually only less than two tenths faster than the GP2 Asia pole time ...
Old 12 Mar 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2650615)   #98
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
I would have thought that reliability in general is the biggest concern for Red Bull at the moment. They have had various issues throughout winter... and now both cars have problems on the first day of official practice...
Agreed - however, its the substantial handling imbalances, brake issues, etc. that have me puzzled.
Old 12 Mar 2010, 21:19 (Ref:2650628)   #99
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I see FOM have changed the on screen timing graphics and they look awful.

What was wrong with the old ones exactly?
Old 12 Mar 2010, 21:25 (Ref:2650636)   #100
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
The fastest lap of a Hispania so far this weekend is actually only less than two tenths faster than the GP2 Asia pole time ...
That's an achievement in itself

Bruno reckons they can knock 5 seconds off pretty easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I see FOM have changed the on screen timing graphics and they look awful.

What was wrong with the old ones exactly?
I like 'em. I think they look a lot better than the old ones. What don't you like?