Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Closed Thread

Old 1 Dec 2005, 15:34 (Ref:1474800)   #751
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Entirely appropriate to remember Richard in better times - A fine cover.
Old 1 Dec 2005, 19:00 (Ref:1474954)   #752
John McIlroy
Rookie

John McIlroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more. Thought the tributes were poignant and well-written too.

John
Old 1 Dec 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1474970)   #753
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. A tribute so simple, yet so poignant. I'm going to put this copy in a very safe place.

John how are you finding your new postion at Autocar?

PAUL
Old 1 Dec 2005, 22:22 (Ref:1475162)   #754
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They were so good I found them difficult to read. I knew Richard a little from marshalling, and a finer person to bump into at the end of a stage or at a service halt you couldn't have wished for. Genuinely likeable and friendly. I found Robert Reid's piece intensely moving. Well done, Autosport.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 01:56 (Ref:1475299)   #755
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
just wanted to add what a fine cover.I dont have the mag yet
Old 2 Dec 2005, 12:19 (Ref:1475613)   #756
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The tributes were indeed excellent. Very poignant.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1475816)   #757
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As one who was critical of the front cover following Michael Parks tragic death, I'd like to add my agreement that the cover for Richard Burns, this week, is very fitting. Agree that there are some very fine tributes inside (as there were for 'Beef' in the earlier issue) so, well handled, Autosport.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1475868)   #758
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without wishing to get in to a debate about untimely criticism of Autosport, it's still a rubbish magazine. IMHO, of course. Swallows and summers anybody...
Old 2 Dec 2005, 18:25 (Ref:1475886)   #759
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Splendid Cat. What makes you say that my friend?

I'm intrigued as to your reasons.

Paul
Old 2 Dec 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1475933)   #760
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
Without wishing to get in to a debate about untimely criticism of Autosport, it's still a rubbish magazine. IMHO, of course. Swallows and summers anybody...

Simple solution.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1475950)   #761
Splendid Cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Simple solution.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Wise words - crikey, that's sound advice buddy.

Stopped buying it 3 yrs ago, after 24 yrs. Thumb through it when I visit my father for tea each Thursday.

The thread is about opinions on Autosport, and opinion duly expressed. Nothing personal to you K-B.
Old 2 Dec 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1475954)   #762
Splendid Cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-1
Splendid Cat. What makes you say that my friend?

I'm intrigued as to your reasons.

Paul
Martin, just read every other post in this thread that is unfavourable to the magazine - my opinions are the same as.

This should remedy your intrigue.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 02:30 (Ref:1476110)   #763
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
It'll all change when I'm editor. I have strong ambitions to fill this post one day.

Anyway - it did remedy my intrigue, thankyou. I've taken note of your displeasure, and - I must say, that on reflection a lot of the points made throughout this thread are valid. Yet I feel, that within the constraits placed upon the magazine, most notably those of marketability, business logic, not to mention the restrictions and implications these "target" areas can lead to, Autosport do a good job IMHO. John, I think has explained quite ineptly the situation he found whilst in his time at the Magazine, afterall it is a business at the end of the day.

However, I feel K_B summed it up pretty conclusively. If you don't like it, then don't buy it, and as you have stated - you have done just that. You've voted with your feet, and like many others have decided to voice your own displeasure by not buying it. I feel, that this is something the magazine undoubtedly have to address.

After buying the magazine for some 24 yrs as you stated, I imagine you were somewhat of a traditionalist. As a member of the readership for such a long time, I imagine you became disillusioned when - unfortunately, Autosport had to move with the times and transform into what it is today.

Autosport now needs to work on finding a balance between more contemporary styles and ideals, and thier more traditional - and supported templates. It needs to re-introduce people such as yourself to the magazine, and seemingly - this is the only way to do it. I feel a solution could be achieved, but without question - a task that would require a lot of brain racking.

Regards,

Paul
Old 3 Dec 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1476165)   #764
Splendid Cat
Racer

Quote:
It'll all change when I'm editor. I have strong ambitions to fill this post one day.

Go for it! You can only do a better job than McIlroy. Make sure you sack Gary Watkins as well. He is dreadful and looks like Nick Berry.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1476231)   #765
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
John, I think has explained quite ineptly the situation he found whilst in his time at the Magazine, afterall it is a business at the end of the day. Paul
Did you mean 'ineptly'? I rather think not, but please confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
You can only do a better job than McIlroy. Make sure you sack Gary Watkins as well. He is dreadful and looks like Nick Berry.
Whilst I have expressed, quite forcibly, my own concerns about Autosport, can we please keep this civil and constructive. John, in particular, has had the great courtesy and courage to place himself in the firing line on this thread and tried to address some of the issues when raised.
Old 3 Dec 2005, 11:43 (Ref:1476245)   #766
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Did you mean 'ineptly'? I rather think not, but please confirm.
Bugger. Embarrasing to say the least, in my defence it was late

Please forgive me I did of course, mean competently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Whilst I have expressed, quite forcibly, my own concerns about Autosport, can we please keep this civil and constructive. John, in particular, has had the great courtesy and courage to place himself in the firing line on this thread and tried to address some of the issues when raised.
I concur. I was very admirable of John's work, and - his bravery to come here and discuss any relevant issues with people here.

Regards,

PAUL
Old 4 Dec 2005, 21:48 (Ref:1476966)   #767
John McIlroy
Rookie

Nick Berry?

'Every loser wins' indeed.... ;-)

John
Old 4 Dec 2005, 21:55 (Ref:1476968)   #768
John McIlroy
Rookie

Incidentally, regarding 'placing myself in the firing line', I never had a problem with coming on here to discuss the magazine. I always found ten-tenths the most rational of all discussion forums, in fact.

As regards 'can only do better than Mcilroy', my spell as editor has been, and will, in future, be judged not only on editorial content, but also (particularly within Haymarket) on the magazine's performance on the newsstand. Regardless of what some people thought of the content, and given their relative ignorance of the circumstances and infrastructure which everyone on the magazine has to cope with, I have reason to take great pride in both areas.

It is worth noting that this thread was started well over a year ago, and yet the total number of views is still fewer than the amount of issues that Autosport sells each week, on the British newsstand alone. Given that we are, I presume, all interested in motorsport, that any magazine based around our chosen sphere can still sell that many copies on a weekly basis is encouraging.

On the subject of Gary Watkins, incidentally, I found him a professional, dedicated and enthusiastic member of the editorial team, and greatly enjoyed working with him.

Regards to all as usual,

John
Old 3 Jan 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1494008)   #769
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Since this has gone to 52 pages, I'm going to close this thread and set up a new one, giving a fresh start to a new year and beginning with hakkiman's post.
Closed Thread