Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2021, 22:20 (Ref:4052997)   #376
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it’s just you. We were just talking about the different approaches and GM have tried less and have achieved less than the others you’ve listed in the European side of the sport.

As I said, so what? The original point was that it is unlikely that GM would do F1 because they haven’t bothered in the past. All those others have in the past and are more likely to do so again. I think that is fair. I’d argue that GM are very astute to not GP their as it doesn’t fit their audience, markets and brand.

Renault, Honda and BMW have all had super success in F1. Toyota didn’t, but throw stones at them as an argument that no one should to GM seemed odd. Especially as people weren’t really. And they have achieved at Le Mans whatever you said. And they’ve been there in rallying too. You could argue that Toyota’s Le Mans success came at a period of change in the sport like Repco did with Brabham with F1. good on them both.

For me it doesn’t matter, all part of the rich tapestry of the sport across the world.
Old 24 May 2021, 02:20 (Ref:4053029)   #377
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I’d argue that GM are very astute to not GP their as it doesn’t fit their audience, markets and brand.
That is my perspective. I think GM would be absolute idiots to jump into F1 now or in the immediate future for the reasons you list above. Kudos to GM for not doing F1.

Richard
Old 24 May 2021, 11:45 (Ref:4053108)   #378
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
...not to mention, the BTCC and WTCC multiple champion Chevy Cruse. But, I guess that just doesn't "trip your trigger', does it?
That went very well. But now the Cruze and Captiva are no longer sold in Europe any more, and there are no more Chevrolet dealers at all, so it was all for nothing.

Don't forget what General Motors did to SAAB either, which also no longer exists. They didn't leverage the design excellence of SAAB to make Cadillacs better, but rather decontented SAAB quality to little more than fancy Opels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeten View Post
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that everyone wants to give most other manufacturers the benefit of the doubt, except for GM. Why?
How can you give GM the benefit of the doubt when they don't even sell cars in Europe or Australia any more at all? There's nothing to give them the benefit of the doubt on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Kudos to GM for not doing F1.
Do they get kudos for not selling cars in Europe or Australia any more? :/
Old 24 May 2021, 12:30 (Ref:4053117)   #379
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
GM failed outside North- and South-America.
Old 24 May 2021, 13:00 (Ref:4053129)   #380
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well if we’re doing whether GM were any good at profitably selling cars outside the Americas. Well that’s different. If we’re doing whether their racing program should be outside the Americas then kind of obvious.

I mourn the loss of the proper SAAB.

A good book on the inner workings of GM is Car Guys verses Bean Counters by Bob Lutz.
Old 24 May 2021, 20:49 (Ref:4053234)   #381
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well if we’re doing whether GM were any good at profitably selling cars outside the Americas. Well that’s different. If we’re doing whether their racing program should be outside the Americas then kind of obvious.

A good book on the inner workings of GM is Car Guys verses Bean Counters by Bob Lutz.
Thnks for the suggestion Adam, yes I bet that is a good read! i'll get a copy shortly
Old 25 May 2021, 06:55 (Ref:4053274)   #382
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

I ordered the book yesterday and am looking forward to reading it.With the breadth of experience Bob Lutz had,he wouldn't have had the narrow view of the world that seems to have been inculcated in the GM lifers.I also note the immediate leaping to the defence of GM by some of our American contributors,must be that all those years of pledging allegiance to the flag makes them very prickly when an American institution collects adverse comments.I remember well when GM and Ford were the world's No 1 and 2 and they have both been usurped.I still veer between amusement and irritation when I recall how the marketing men tried to create the impression that the 2016 class win for the GT was more significant than a class victory.I respect the achievement and the timescale of the project far more than the manipulation of the class win by the PR people.https://media.ford.com/content/fordm...s-le-mans.html
It will be interesting to see whether the inevitable consolidation of car companies will be led by the brands that are willing to enter the global cauldron of F1 or those that avoid the occasionally brutal exposure of their abilities.We have seen how Honda progressed from a McLaren that would hardly run to being in a front running car,which surely illustrates the determination to succeed and not a willingness to just make up the numbers.
Old 25 May 2021, 10:58 (Ref:4053298)   #383
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Do they get kudos for not selling cars in Europe or Australia any more? :/
No. I agree with the comments that the contraction back into primarily North America along with a focus on large vehicles (trucks, SUVs) is a sign of weaknesses. Is it a short term regrouping or a long term trend? Probably the later.

Richard
Old 27 May 2021, 08:45 (Ref:4053529)   #384
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No. I agree with the comments that the contraction back into primarily North America along with a focus on large vehicles (trucks, SUVs) is a sign of weaknesses. Is it a short term regrouping or a long term trend? Probably the later.

Richard
Everyone always forgets about China, maybe GM could start a race series there.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...obile%20market.
Old 27 Jun 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4058455)   #385
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So this Honda engined team seems to have a bright future!

Hamilton stopped of course but still finished 35sec behind!
Old 27 Jun 2021, 14:57 (Ref:4058462)   #386
Richard C
Veteran

Personally, I am hoping they deliver a championship this year before they exit. There is still a majority of races left, but it is looking promising.

Richard
Old 28 Jun 2021, 10:38 (Ref:4058599)   #387
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It was here two years ago Honda got their first win since their comeback. Two years on they are leading the title. They certainly look like they could go out with a bang and hopefully not literally!
Old 30 Jun 2021, 16:07 (Ref:4059051)   #388
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well if Honda have any sense they will quietly keep the name Honda on whatever RBR and the team use and bask in the glory if the team wins the championship
Old 30 Jun 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4059073)   #389
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be a very Honda thing to finally develop a championship contending engine and then withdraw. Just like 2009 where their new car could have been a Honda World Champion rather than a Brawn GP.
Old 30 Jun 2021, 19:14 (Ref:4059078)   #390
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Well if Honda have any sense they will quietly keep the name Honda on whatever RBR and the team use and bask in the glory if the team wins the championship
This reminds me of the story about Porsche, McLaren and TAG in the mid 1980's. In which while Porsche was building the engine, but it was to be labelled as TAG. Porsche put the engine in a 956 prototype and was not shy about letting people know about it. Reportedly McLaren/TAG were not happy that Porsche was getting free PR while McLaren and TAG were paying the bills!

In the end. Honda is out at the end of 2021. The IP is being transferred to the new RBR engine operations. RBR might be contracting with Honda (or Honda suppliers) for some stuff. But RBR and not Honda is going to own the success/failure of this going forward. Short of Honda giving them some money (lots of money) there is zero chance of the Honda name showing up on anything in 2022 because RBR wants the glory for their work. No doubt people will continue to call it the Honda engine in 2022. And if it does well, Honda will get some glory. If it does poorly, then people will blame RBR for "screwing up a good power unit".

I wish RBR well and frankly hope if it goes well that they take the credit because there is plenty of room for them to screw it up. It's a huge undertaking.

Richard
Old 1 Jul 2021, 08:35 (Ref:4059137)   #391
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
for a number of years the honda pu was a let down and not up to par
in the end honda gave up and admitted defeat and withdrawal

i wonder now with their teams 1st and 5th and a swag of poles, fastest laps wins and podiums going their way, might there be a chance some of the execs want to keep the name on the cars a few more years and decide to play on fpr a while.

its nott like the teams are going elsewhere
Old 1 Jul 2021, 13:45 (Ref:4059169)   #392
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
This reminds me of the story about Porsche, McLaren and TAG in the mid 1980's. In which while Porsche was building the engine, but it was to be labelled as TAG. Porsche put the engine in a 956 prototype and was not shy about letting people know about it. Reportedly McLaren/TAG were not happy that Porsche was getting free PR while McLaren and TAG were paying the bills!

In the end. Honda is out at the end of 2021. The IP is being transferred to the new RBR engine operations. RBR might be contracting with Honda (or Honda suppliers) for some stuff. But RBR and not Honda is going to own the success/failure of this going forward. Short of Honda giving them some money (lots of money) there is zero chance of the Honda name showing up on anything in 2022 because RBR wants the glory for their work. No doubt people will continue to call it the Honda engine in 2022. And if it does well, Honda will get some glory. If it does poorly, then people will blame RBR for "screwing up a good power unit".

I wish RBR well and frankly hope if it goes well that they take the credit because there is plenty of room for them to screw it up. It's a huge undertaking.

Richard
My big fear for RBR is that if they are successful the manufacturers will just change the rules on them like they did to Cosworth when they got their engines to rev over 20 00 rpm. Suddenly the tech wasn't road relevant and was too expensive for the manufacturers to pursue, so the rules were just changed to exclude Cosworth's high revving engines. Guess we will see how well advised RBR's investment in hybrid PUs turns out to be.

On an aside but related matter, I see that Audi and Porsche have been invited to the conference where the 2025 engine rules are being decided. They are not supporting F1 and to my mind have no place at the F1 table. Just shows how captured the FIA is by the manufacturers. https://racingnews365.com/audi-and-p...1-engine-talks

Last edited by wnut; 1 Jul 2021 at 13:59.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4059173)   #393
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What about the engineers who work at Audi, Porsche, VW etc.

Their input could still be valiable no?
Old 1 Jul 2021, 14:49 (Ref:4059177)   #394
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
My big fear for RBR is that if they are successful the manufacturers will just change the rules on them like they did to Cosworth when they got their engines to rev over 20 00 rpm. Suddenly the tech wasn't road relevant and was too expensive for the manufacturers to pursue, so the rules were just changed to exclude Cosworth's high revving engines. Guess we will see how well advised RBR's investment in hybrid PUs turns out to be.

On an aside but related matter, I see that Audi and Porsche have been invited to the conference where the 2025 engine rules are being decided. They are not supporting F1 and to my mind have no place at the F1 table. Just shows how captured the FIA is by the manufacturers. https://racingnews365.com/audi-and-p...1-engine-talks

They aren't supporting F1 at the moment but that doesn't mean they should necessarily be excluded. This invitation seems very much like a precursor to possible future involvement in F1.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4059207)   #395
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s gonna be tricky, Honda have finally got an engine that’s about to win the title. Can Red Bull build one up to a similar standard? Maybe they will get a bit of help from Honda, who knows? Worth considering
Old 1 Jul 2021, 17:16 (Ref:4059218)   #396
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
They aren't supporting F1 at the moment but that doesn't mean they should necessarily be excluded. This invitation seems very much like a precursor to possible future involvement in F1.
I'd be more comfortable if they were joined by 6 team principles/owners from racing teams outside of F1.

I remain convinced that F1 needs to ensure it is viable for privateers to come in, not only manufacturers.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 17:58 (Ref:4059227)   #397
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'd be more comfortable if they were joined by 6 team principles/owners from racing teams outside of F1.

I remain convinced that F1 needs to ensure it is viable for privateers to come in, not only manufacturers.

Have any teams/team principles/owners from outside of F1, shown an interest in competing in F1? The last new team to join F1 was Haas in 2016. The following year Manor quit F1 and since then the grid has remained at 20 cars.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4059229)   #398
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
honda gave up and admitted defeat and withdrawal
That is a perspective. By my opinion is it doesn't match reality. Honda has a habit of pulling the plug at the wrong time, but frankly I think even if they were successful prior to the decision they would probably still be leaving. F1 is just not fitting in with their corporate direction at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Should it only be Ferrari, Mercedes and Ferrari?

Quote:
I think if one of those teams were to step up and say they were interested in, or planned to supply F1 power units in the future, they would be invited. Such as has been done with Red Bull!

Quote:
My comments above might sound like I support the status quo, but I agree with you. And to your point above, it should be a decision focused on the teams and not the suppliers (such as large auto manufactures). But they are in this catch-22 in which they have to cater to those who actually have stepped up to the plate. Now the problem is they have created a complex engine and that has locked out other independent suppliers who are not part of the "current" club (Cosworth, Judd, etc.)

Richard
Old 1 Jul 2021, 20:15 (Ref:4059249)   #399
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

IMO (and this is just IMO), to survive F1 needs to completely disconnect from road car technology/marketing, to achieve what you're saying - and I agree.

The manufacturers have been allowed to push for insanely expensive engines, which has created a monopoly of the big manufacturers. It has pushed out the small engine builders like Judd and what not, which means everyone has to do what Mercedes and Renault say.

Mandate large capacity NA engines. Manufacturers will largely stop caring and leave. Builders such as Gibson and Judd will fill the gap, and engine costs will plummet, allowing privateers to survive easier.

Manufacturers hold the sport to ransom for "activation" money. Which doesn't make sense, because F1 was not less popular when Senna vs Prost vs Nigel was a thing, just because the cars were Williams and McLaren and not Mercedes and Renault.
Old 1 Jul 2021, 22:56 (Ref:4059263)   #400
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Have any teams/team principles/owners from outside of F1, shown an interest in competing in F1? The last new team to join F1 was Haas in 2016. The following year Manor quit F1 and since then the grid has remained at 20 cars.
Surely Stefan GP is due for another bid? Maybe he can do a co-ownership thing with Rich Energy.