Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 18 Dec 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3871207)   #3351
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I seem to remember there was talk here a while back about a certain member using 'historic' teabags. Were they bio-degradable?
If it's me, to whom you are referring, then yes - the teabags had deteriorated somewhat. However, Delta drank the offending infusion and is still with us.

I made myself a coffee - it was fine...

...sorry to interrupt the Brexit conversation.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 19:11 (Ref:3871208)   #3352
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And do ypybknow what? It is a conversation. As it happens I buy Yorkshire tea for our site office. Two large boxes every eight weeks.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3871210)   #3353
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello
Just got back from Bhckmore after doing a 30 mins practice with a mate in torrential rain .Managed to top the timing sheets which was good 0.7 in front of second place.Spent the 30 mins basically drifting and powersliding a little kart and aquaplaning through some HUGE puddles.The fun you can have sometimes😁
Old 18 Dec 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3871224)   #3354
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
Bob

Funnily enough the reason many Belgians say they appreciate EU membership goes back to wars but they are happy with it because their country hasn't been occupied for quite some time!

!
Be careful what you wish for !

'3500 troops on standby'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46600850

Old 18 Dec 2018, 20:28 (Ref:3871226)   #3355
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's all we've got hence they're always on stand by.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 20:34 (Ref:3871227)   #3356
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
I’m at a loss to think how they will be employed....

Talking of employment, MU’s probable payoff to their manager would pay for a season or two’s racing! £22.5 million..... And if you look back, he’s also been well rewarded after departing previous clubs.

The money in football is immoral!
Old 18 Dec 2018, 20:46 (Ref:3871235)   #3357
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
I’m at a loss to think how they will be employed....

Talking of employment, MU’s probable payoff to their manager would pay for a season or two’s racing! £22.5 million..... And if you look back, he’s also been well rewarded after departing previous clubs.

The money in football is immoral!
Mike, football is immoral. Totally.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3871237)   #3358
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Immoral? I'd say there is a close relationship between salaries, expenses and what it brings in terms of publicity. And football is sometimes used as a tool by politics, we had a good "effet coupe du monde" last time while I can't remember who said football acts like opium on people. When people are shouting, drinking, enjoying, crying there is no more room to think.
Old 18 Dec 2018, 20:57 (Ref:3871241)   #3359
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Relevant on the tea break thread, serious repercussions from the push to make seemingly everything biodegradable or recyclable.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-46608795

Fortunately I drink another tea produced in that area.
Hehehe I am a bit of a Tetleys addict myself, always have plenty of Tetleys Extra Strong in the cupboard.... it comes from India though. I cant face mornings without a couple of cuppas.

(My tea may not have been, but I was born in Yorkshire ...)
Old 18 Dec 2018, 21:57 (Ref:3871259)   #3360
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Dart charge works (unless you're driving a foreign car and trying to pay while visiting!) but the French had working systems some 30 years ago at which time the govt was saying they were waiting for the technology!!

of course the Dart Crossing Toll system works - it's run by SANEF.
The only downside is that it doesn't recognise the SANEF tag I use for the French autoroutes...
Old 19 Dec 2018, 04:17 (Ref:3871306)   #3361
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Don't have much to do with the USA but their tax rates seem quite low (but I think vary between States) and I just discovered they can import things up to $800 without costs. But I'm not surprised it is complicated!
The USA has a lot of tax jurisdictions and any transaction can attract a number of tax raising, reporting and paying opportunities with no consistency expected.

It can be so complex that many companies find it easier to report approximately what they think is likely to accepted and then wait to see if anyone wishes to audit them. In theory a company could be independently audit by all 52 states every year. In practice an Audit company will set up an audit on behalf of one or more States and then offer to also audit for the others if paid a suitable fee.

Businesses will often accept these expenses as a cost of doing business since it usually results in a payment of some kind but that is cheaper than trying to understand and apply the plethora of tax rules that can be different for different types of supply on the same invoice and extend to influences right down to the town in which an invoice was created at one end of the chain and was paid at the other end.

And then there can be Transit taxes in some places, charged on goods passing through.

From memory of times back in the 80s and 90s, investigating what would be required in a computerised system to feed data to a tax calculation application for the whole of the USA, we discovered that someone had estimated that there were about 20 thousand possible combinations that could be applied to an invoice.

Even dealing with the major subcontracted tax calculation management companies we never found anyone in an expert advisory role who understood (or claimed to understand) more than a handful of the rules and combinations. In fact for the sort of businesses to which we were offering software, most did not understand the rather basic questions we were asking.

It was an in interesting and eye opening project at the time.
Old 19 Dec 2018, 07:10 (Ref:3871311)   #3362
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Apps that know your location- There’s one that keeps telling me I’m off the coast of Equatorial Guinea. Should I be concerned?
Old 19 Dec 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3871314)   #3363
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Apps that know your location- There’s one that keeps telling me I’m off the coast of Equatorial Guinea. Should I be concerned?

If your boat leaks - yes!!
Old 19 Dec 2018, 07:52 (Ref:3871315)   #3364
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
If your boat leaks - yes!!
The most worrying thing is that the app is for EV charging.....
Old 19 Dec 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3871328)   #3365
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Is it your nearest working charge point or have they fixed the one at Norwich station?

When I first bought a Tom Tom some years ago it insisted one day that my garden was in Finland. My garden may be big, but not that big...
Old 19 Dec 2018, 10:58 (Ref:3871357)   #3366
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Merry Christmas Norfolk-style!

https://youtu.be/MFdix4Bj_5Y
Old 19 Dec 2018, 11:13 (Ref:3871364)   #3367
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Merry Christmas Norfolk-style!

https://youtu.be/MFdix4Bj_5Y
Cool! Bet if you or I drove round the access roads like that we’d not be there for long......

I’ll be passing the entrance later on. Mmm.....
Old 19 Dec 2018, 12:10 (Ref:3871378)   #3368
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
For any with an interest in historic French race circuits, in September a Gilbern Owners Club member attended an event at Cadours, to mark the 70th anniversary of its opening. It was last used for racing in 1958, apparently?

The same chap then took his Gilbern GT a month later to the Circuit Paul Armagnac / Nogaro, but not sure what the event was about. It’s still used for racing- I’ve seen a pic of truck racing in 2018 at least.......
Old 19 Dec 2018, 13:01 (Ref:3871385)   #3369
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They used to run F3000 there IIRC. I see there's a race meeting there on 2/3 March 2019 - got to be a warmer bet than my booking at Barton Stacey Raceway

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Dec 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3871393)   #3370
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which would you prefer?
In a similar spirit to Peter Mallet's question regarding which mini we would all prefer to own, a 1275GT or a mini cooper, I thought I would ask a similar question regarding:
Mustang Notchback
MGB
Morgan +4
Marcos 1800GT

Assume all FIA pre 66 eligible. I have looked on RCD and a Mustang is available at E50K or another at £32.5K An MGB is available at £37K. There's a Morgan +4 at E45K and a Marcos at E72.5K. I suppose the Marcos is a slight anomaly if we put a nominal E50K limit, but what the hell, if you chose that we would let you use "man maths" to buy it as long as you justify it!
Criteria to consider: Rarity v Commonplace, cost to buy, cost to run, availability of spares and "knowledge", competitiveness, driving experience and opportunity to race in "nice" events.
So, over to you - which would you have, and why?
Old 19 Dec 2018, 13:46 (Ref:3871398)   #3371
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Which would you prefer?
In a similar spirit to Peter Mallet's question regarding which mini we would all prefer to own, a 1275GT or a mini cooper, I thought I would ask a similar question regarding:
Mustang Notchback
MGB
Morgan +4
Marcos 1800GT

Assume all FIA pre 66 eligible. I have looked on RCD and a Mustang is available at E50K or another at £32.5K An MGB is available at £37K. There's a Morgan +4 at E45K and a Marcos at E72.5K. I suppose the Marcos is a slight anomaly if we put a nominal E50K limit, but what the hell, if you chose that we would let you use "man maths" to buy it as long as you justify it!
Criteria to consider: Rarity v Commonplace, cost to buy, cost to run, availability of spares and "knowledge", competitiveness, driving experience and opportunity to race in "nice" events.

I've been an unwavering Mustang fan ever since I first saw Ken Baker's red Fastback race at Snetterton back in '65/66, so on emotion alone, the Mustang wins for me.

Of course the stunning looks alone should do it for the Marcos, but I probably couldn't get in one these days!
Old 19 Dec 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3871414)   #3372
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Maybe they change GEO location when a charger is out of action?

That said, back in the 00s I got hold of several years of UK Serious Accident data for interesting database application testing.

The accident records contained geo positioning data and so it was relatively easy even back then to fire up a mapping system to see the location of the accidents in the report.

For the best of the records one could compare the position of the dot to the rest of the data in the record and see that it was accurate to within inches.

However some Police Forces seemed to have more difficulty with either ascertaining the accurate location or, possibly, transcribing it from handwritten notes into the database. The clusters of serious accidents off the coast of Scotland in the North Sea were difficult to explain with any certainty. Also those some way to the West of the Scilly Isles.

Given that by the time the data sets were available to the those who had been allowed access, they had, one would hope, been through some sanity checking processes and some quality assessment. The large number of errors - not all as obvious as records pointing to the middle of large areas of water - made one wonder about the quality of the rest of the information.

There was, for example, clear statistical evidence that ages 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90 were by far the most likely to see people involved in some way in a Road accident. Intermediate ages in those decades were, generally, much safer although 25, 35, 45, etc. seemed to appear somewhat more frequently than one might have expected.

I never did think to check whether the accidents at sea and the specific age bubbles coincided in any way. I might revisit the data just to see what I missed ...
Old 19 Dec 2018, 14:26 (Ref:3871417)   #3373
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Which would you prefer?
Mustang Notchback
MGB
Morgan +4
Marcos 1800GT

It's actually a no brainer since the MGB will get you into nice events and won't need a $50k engine to keep it competitive within its class. As a f'rinstance you can build a good MGB engine for around $7k. So the MG will keep you racing.

That said, who wouldn't love a Mustang?
Old 19 Dec 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3871426)   #3374
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which if the options i mentioned needs a $50k engine? I genuinley dont know.
Someone tried to get me interested in sharing a Mustang a while ago and tried to convince me they were cheap to run as all the parts and tuning bits were available easily from the USA. But no idea whether that was FIA legal bits...

That said, a mate of mine with an FIA MGB engined TVR was told by his engine builder that all FIA MGB engines were actually 2 litres anyway!!!!!!!!!
Old 19 Dec 2018, 15:01 (Ref:3871429)   #3375
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Which if the options i mentioned needs a $50k engine? I genuinley dont know.
Someone tried to get me interested in sharing a Mustang a while ago and tried to convince me they were cheap to run as all the parts and tuning bits were available easily from the USA. But no idea whether that was FIA legal bits...
There you have the problem. Yes the Mustang bits are very reasonable, but a full house competition engine using a race block is very expensive. Not FIA legal but very popular.

Quote:
That said, a mate of mine with an FIA MGB engined TVR was told by his engine builder that all FIA MGB engines were actually 2 litres anyway!!!!!!!!!
Yes the 1950cc version is very popular and you can build one for the same price as a legal engine 1853cc. There are often thoughts that many FIA MGBs are 1950cc but you generally only see them at the Spa 6hrs or running in non FIA events. I'd be surprised if they get to 2 litres since even the factory tried and found the waterways too small. The MG Car Club ran a class of effectively 2 litre full race cars back in the 80s/90s. They soon learned how unreliable they were and changed to a "soft Tuned" V8.

So, if you can cheat an MGB engine for the same cost as a FIA engine then it represents better value that spending an arm and a leg on a Mustang engine. Ergo the MGB is better value.