Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Mar 2005, 16:35 (Ref:1240219)   #26
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So it seems, but only for the first two seasons - 1984 and 1985.

Jesper
Old 3 Mar 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1240972)   #27
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH
Two other German based Mustangs I can think of include a Zakspeed car for Klaus Niedzwiedz. I remember reading that he came a close second to Tom Walkinshaw's Jaguar XJS during a warm-up race for the German GP at Hockenheim 1983.
This could very well be one of the future Dick Johnson cars.
In Dick Johnson's book 'story of a folk hero' it confirms that one of the cars he purchased in late 1984 was this car.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 21:11 (Ref:1241630)   #28
Jesper OH
Veteran

Here's a link to the Nürburgring 24h-site: http://adac.24h-rennen.de/

Check out their "Archiv" under 1982-1992 for the 1984 edition of the race. Niedzwiedz/Doering/Gartmann retired their Ringshausen-Mustang - there's even a picture of the car. I guess the drivers must be Klaus Niedzwiedz/Helmut Döring/Dieter Gartmann.

Jesper
Old 4 Mar 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1242548)   #29
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab73
hi anybody have pictures of the gpa mustangs raced in europe.
or links to websites with pictiures.
http://www.zandbak.net/classic/86bergischeloewe/003.jpg

This is Reinhold Gröpper at Bergischer Löwe, Zolder, March 30th (the race date), 1986. Since he's not among the starters, this picture must be from a practice, qualifying session or warm-up session.

Jesper
Old 12 May 2005, 10:42 (Ref:1299060)   #30
gab73
Rookie

gab73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
does anyone have anymore info/pics/links on these cars???
Old 17 Feb 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1525249)   #31
Jesper OH
Veteran

Just discovered yet another DTM 'stang. Heinz Becker appeared for two rounds of the 1991 season (but non-started) with a Gronemeyer entry.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 18:57 (Ref:1527246)   #32
Steve Holmes
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Steve Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the New Zealand Mustangs has recently been restored. Its the first of two Pinepac sponsored cars, and was originally built in Australia and raced by Bo Seton and Don Smith. It debuted in 1984 before Bruce Anderson purchased it and imported it to New Zealand, where it was repainted yellow.

Its now been fully restored, and looks like it might have been sold back to Australia, where historic Group A racing is very popular. There is some info here:

http://www.nzmustang.com/History/Racecars/pinepac1.htm
Old 4 Mar 2006, 08:02 (Ref:1535958)   #33
Jesper OH
Veteran

haven't seen any mentioning of Kevin Clark yet. According to this adress http://www.members.tripod.com/motors...80s_page_1.htm he finished 4th in the Australian Endurance Championship round at Surfers Paradise on October 27 1985. What is the story about this car and driver?

Jesper
Old 15 Mar 2006, 07:41 (Ref:1549234)   #34
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He has/had a Mustang sports sedan, there's every possibility that the two cars are one & the same - if so that'd be a shame...
Old 15 Mar 2006, 09:48 (Ref:1549310)   #35
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They were/are the same car.
Old 5 May 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1601413)   #36
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
BTW, I was viewing the Duke '83 ETCC review on VHS last night (nice little summary) and I have to say that Dave Cook Mustang pedalled by Vince Woodman was right up there towards the end of the season.

Certainly at Zolder's last round it was battling with the Jag's, Rover's and Bee-ems in a terrific 6-7 car scrap at the front!!

Why on earth didn't DCR/Woodman/Ford persevere with it and run a 2 car team in '84??

Surely with a prep firm like Cook's and drivers like Woodman and the Martin brothers (perhaps even Gordon Spice might have been interested) they would have been a force to be reckoned with?

I wonder if it was Belga withdrawing backing or Ford politics that stymied the Mustang's Grp A chances in Europe?
Old 9 May 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1604049)   #37
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I can probably answer half of my question!

The Sierra is probably something to do with it.

Ford wouldn't have ploughed money into a Mustang project (which was a car with only limited Ford marketing appeal in Europe being an American machine) when Sierra, a pukka European car was about to embark on an illustrious racing career.

The BMW GB BTCC effort of '84 is probably the other reason, but did Clark and Cook do the BMW deal before the Mustang programme was aborted or afterwards I wonder?
Old 10 May 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1604795)   #38
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Ford wouldn't have ploughed money into a Mustang project (which was a car with only limited Ford marketing appeal in Europe being an American machine) when Sierra, a pukka European car was about to embark on an illustrious racing career.
I'd say you're right. On the Sierra Cosworth video by Duke, Stuart Turner said that the Sierra was chosen because it was really the only available European car; the Granada was too big, the Cortina was on the way out, and the Merkeur (and presumably the Mustang, too) were American cars and using them in Ford's European touring car efforts would have presented the wrong image.
Old 10 May 2006, 06:54 (Ref:1604813)   #39
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the other hand, the Sierra's career started as late as october 1985 in the ETCC - and the car was nothing else than a rebadged American Merkur XR4 TI.

Last edited by Frank de Jong; 10 May 2006 at 06:56.
Old 11 May 2006, 00:37 (Ref:1605548)   #40
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank de Jong
On the other hand, the Sierra's career started as late as october 1985 in the ETCC - and the car was nothing else than a rebadged American Merkur XR4 TI.
As far as I know The Merkur XR4i was rebadged Ford Sierra, not the other way around.
Old 11 May 2006, 06:49 (Ref:1605654)   #41
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
Frank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFrank de Jong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I spoke in racing terms - there was no turbocharged 4 cilinder Sierra on the market in Europe at the time (the fastest Sierra was the 6 cilinder atmo XR4i) - but there was one in the States. Of course, the origins of the Sierra/Merkur are from Europe.
Old 11 May 2006, 07:33 (Ref:1605684)   #42
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank de Jong
I spoke in racing terms - there was no turbocharged 4 cilinder Sierra on the market in Europe at the time (the fastest Sierra was the 6 cilinder atmo XR4i) - but there was one in the States. Of course, the origins of the Sierra/Merkur are from Europe.
And that V6 2.8 Injection engine in the XR4i was already considered a dud for Grp A after Ford got Andy Rouse to run a converted CC Capri with one such engine in it in the '82 Silverstone TT.

I think Ford GB were interested to see if the Capri's life could be prolonged for Group A as the Rovers, which were already stretching the Capri's competitiveness in Grp 1, were about to step up a further level with the Vitesse. However, at that TT the 2.8 Grp A test dummy was about 1.5-2 secs off of the older 3-litre engine pace and didn't inspire much confidence.

I doubt one race and limited testing was sufficient to write it off totally (although I don't know how many testing miles Ford/CC/Rouse spent on the engine before racing it) which I never understood, as the 2.8 Celica Supra was made to go very well, but it was highly likely as we've said to to with Sierra politics - 'forget highly stressed V6 in an old car, let's wait for the Turbo in our new car'

However, as you say Frank, the Sierra Merkur Turbo wasn't running until mid
'85 in Britain and Europe, so between the end of the Capri and the start of the Sierra there was a gap of almost 3 years, which would have been plenty of time to get the Mustang working properly even as a privateer effort with some factiory support, without impinging on the Sierra fanfare.

Makes you wonder why they didn't bother when the potential was there?
Old 23 Feb 2007, 12:13 (Ref:1849836)   #43
Jesper OH
Veteran

http://www.rgracing.co.uk/Team_History.htm

This link says that the CC Racing Mustang of '83 was bought by German Reinhold Gröpper for '84. Looking at the picture on the site, the colour scheme makes sence, as it's painted blue where it used to be red.

Jesper
Old 24 Feb 2007, 00:11 (Ref:1850219)   #44
pederb
Veteran

European Union
Berlin
pederb has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have some on my webpage http://www.hollywoodwebworks.com/
Old 3 Feb 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2119719)   #45
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
A V. Schneider startet a single race in 1986.
Thanks to http://www2.motorsport-total.com/dtm...ails.php?d=154 the driver is Volker Schneider. A new site to me.

Jesper
Old 5 Feb 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2121971)   #46
Frank de Jong
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Racer

Netherlands
Amsterdam
It even gives the entry list, full result and the first 10 on the grid...
You learn something new every day...
Old 5 Feb 2008, 22:40 (Ref:2122016)   #47
Jesper OH
Veteran

...and give Ruedi Eggenberger as the entrant of Chevy Camaro!: http://www2.motorsport-total.com/dtm...ries.php?d=106. Obviously this site is not perfect, but more comprehensive than the official DTM site.

Jesper
Old 24 Apr 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2185748)   #48
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For Sale.... ex-Anderson Bros Ford Mustang, complete with Bathurst history, and at one time, a DJR tickled powerplant
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Jan 2009, 00:51 (Ref:2371048)   #49
Jesper OH
Veteran

Quote:
Here's a link to the Nürburgring 24h-site: http://adac.24h-rennen.de/

Check out their "Archiv" under 1982-1992 for the 1984 edition of the race. Niedzwiedz/Doering/Gartmann retired their Ringshausen-Mustang - there's even a picture of the car. I guess the drivers must be Klaus Niedzwiedz/Helmut Döring/Dieter Gartmann.

Jesper
Re-linking to the picture:
http://adac.24h-rennen.de/typo3temp/...800_600_90.JPG

Jesper
Old 14 Jan 2009, 15:15 (Ref:2371372)   #50
drivers71
Rookie

Italy
Birmingham, England
drivers71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ruch Mustang in DTM

Not sure of the year, but it was when the Alfa 155 was dominant in DTM (1993-4?). I have a video of the season review, and at Norisring (short track, but with two long straights before and after the hairpin), Nicola Larini took three laps to 'lap' Ruch. He was able to outbreak the Mustang into the tight corner on each of those three laps, but be overtaken again on the following straight. The sideways in-car footage from the Larini car clearly shows the Italian looking across in amazement at Ruch, the first time it blasted past him. Priceless!

Tags
1980's, atcc, dave cook, dick johnson, dtm, etcc, ford mustang, group a, touring car