Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Aug 2002, 08:53 (Ref:348414)   #1
racealign
Rookie

racealign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did anyone hear?

During the last telecast of the oran park round I am not sure if it was Brad Jones or Greg Murphy that I heard say that the Dunlop control tyre was that hard that if you start with 4mm of tread you will finish the race with 4mm of tread. Did anyone hear that??? Did I hear correctly?

It is interesting then if thats the case because just as the last race finished ambrose could be heard saying something about his rear tyres were gone?shot??nothing left?...wonder if they are just going off or could it be that are really worn out? It seems to be a major contradiction ...one guy saying that the tyres are a hard as rocks and another guy saying they are worn out.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:33 (Ref:348556)   #2
The Tool Man
Veteran

The Tool Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah With all due respect to Brad, and I am a fan of his but he's team were the ones "Doing a Garry Rogers" over oil on the track that EVERYONE else missed!!
Old 2 Aug 2002, 12:17 (Ref:348612)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being fair - the others only missed *after* Brad went off....wasn't he one of the first cars on the scene after it got dumped??
Old 2 Aug 2002, 12:54 (Ref:348650)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes.
Old 3 Aug 2002, 05:45 (Ref:349175)   #5
racealign
Rookie

racealign should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had to laugh at the out burst from Kim Jones about the "quality" of the officials " they didn't have a flag out and poor Brad went off in the dirt..and then the mid out burst retraction saying that they were all volunteers and they deserve credit...lol...what was that all about....lol..
i wonder if he realised half way through that he was saying the wrong thing and then decided to try to fix it..lol..does anyone else think the this?????
Old 3 Aug 2002, 06:31 (Ref:349179)   #6
Flaggie
Racer

Flaggie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking from a Flaggie's POV, Oil lines are not always easy to spot, especially if the sun's in the wrong place.

I haven't seen the incident, but I've been told by two different people two different things. One that there was an oil flag when Brad did a whoopsie and one where the oil flag went out after he did a whoopsie. Anyone care to say which is the case?
Old 3 Aug 2002, 10:27 (Ref:349239)   #7
RaceTime
Veteran

The coverage appeared to imply the latter...
Old 3 Aug 2002, 13:27 (Ref:349329)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know from past experience as a driver and as a flaggie that flaggies run the full length of the spectrum, from hard working, diligent and intelligent, all the way to lazy, stupid, big headed, big mouthed and on a power trip. Unfortunately, the first group are taken for granted and the second group seem to get all the attention.

I remember spectating at a meeting once, where a car came by trailing a thick plume of blue smoke, leaving a clearly visible oil line all the way around the corner, but no flags went out, so I wondered over to the flag point, just 8 feet away and pointed out the oil and suggested the red and yellow flag, they glared at me for having the audacity to tell them how to do their job. Three cars then spun on the oil, after the third one clobbered the fence, the oil flag went out, and those flaggies refused to look in my direction for the rest of the afternoon.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 10:43 (Ref:350304)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David, that sounds a lot like the NSW State Champs a couple of rounds back at Oran Park. Same situation, though I didn't go and tell them to put out the flag. Should have done though.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 13:02 (Ref:350435)   #10
Jack racer
Racer

Jack racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had this same argument with a flaggy in the f1 forum and he said he would never put out an oil flag unless something happened because IT COULD CONFUSE THE DRIVERS if there was nothing there and that thay could protest and there would be to much paper work so it wasn't worth it. I say put them out then if nothing happens well all good.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 13:08 (Ref:350440)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

Be interesting to see what happens with the way the sport is degenerating now then - to the extent that if a driver goes off on oil and it can be shown that the flaggie DID know about it, recent court decisions could very well hold the flaggie being the one copping the ultimate blame and costs associated.

Maybe not the way to see things go, but CAMS aren't doing much to stop these law suits from happening (and they *have* been happening for the past 10 years even in Australia and, no doubt, will happen more and more)

In fact, hasn't this been a major problem over the past 3 years in New Zealand with volunteer officials being charged in the South Island over an on track death???

Last edited by RaceTime; 5 Aug 2002 at 13:09.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 13:16 (Ref:350448)   #12
Jack racer
Racer

You mean the guys that were dealing drugs on the corner and the cops were watching the hole thing. It got thrown out of court because of some technical **** and manz keeped all the money they had funraised to defend the mashals even though they new it was going to be thrown out from the start.
Old 5 Aug 2002, 13:17 (Ref:350450)   #13
Jack racer
Racer

It has ruined club motorsport in NZ as it is to had to get permits to have street races etc.