Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Aug 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2943697)   #751
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And that really is my lot. If anyone (Grant?) with greater stamina than I stayed/photographed the last race of the weekend, please go for it!
Old 21 Aug 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2943736)   #752
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
And that really is my lot. If anyone (Grant?) with greater stamina than I stayed/photographed the last race of the weekend, please go for it!
Superb job as always, John, Grant and others. Have a few days rest.....

Old 21 Aug 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2943785)   #753
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Sorry John - race 20 was the last one I have any shots for as far as I can see.

Missed WSM entirely whilst commiserating with Colin as he loaded the S type and helping, if that is the correct description, delta load the truck. 'Twas worth is for the '99' icecream!

I did see some of th last few laps of Race 22 from the rapidly emptying Jag Club display area at Copse and the 3 way dice for the lead (4 way really but the first 3 were ever so close) was superb. A very fitting end to the meeting but one that many spectators (including me, almost) will have missed as they headed away.

I was the wrong side of the fence to get any worthwhile shots even from the banking. Don't think I would have made it trackside before the last lap even had I known which lap they were on!

Sorry ...
Old 22 Aug 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2944205)   #754
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Enrico Spaggiari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thank you John for the great stories and pictures. it's always a pleasure to read your words. I was looking forward reading the report of the last race of the meeting (hgpca pre-66 gp cars) but I can imagine it has been a very long day. You should come to other historic car meeting around europe and then post your reports... better than reading Motorsport
Enjoy your well deserved rest.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2944227)   #755
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who won that race, Enrico. Do you recollect?
Old 22 Aug 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2944272)   #756
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Great stuff John!! Always enjoy your mini reports and pics to go with them.
Old 22 Aug 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2944313)   #757
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Horsman View Post
Who won that race, Enrico. Do you recollect?
Poor (and modest!) Enrico; destined to win the last race of the meeting when most people were packing up to go home. Cracking race by the sounds of it with 4 drivers circulating close together, so just to show you are not forgotten and especially since no less than 3 of the top 4 were 10-Tenthers, here's how they finished:-

1) Enrico Spaggiari - Cooper T53 - 21.39.298
2) Rod Jolley - Cooper T45/51 - 21.40.016
3) Roger Wills - Cooper T51 - 21.40.540
4) Peter Horsman - Lotus 18/21 - 21.41.027

As you can see just over 1.7 secs covered the first 4. It seems that Roger was leading for much of the way but tagged a backmarker and spun before recovering to 3rd. Would be good to get driver accounts, guys.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 17:46 (Ref:2944745)   #758
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
2) Joe Twyman and Paul Radisich shared Roger Wills McLaren M1B (24) to finish 5th
Actually, it was Paul and I in the M1B. I had entered the M1C but it had engine issues in the first lap of qualifying. A very frustrating time with the M1C with that engine having taken 10 months and a huge amount to be rebuilt, only to fail first time out. Damn engine builders....... GRRRRRR.....
Old 23 Aug 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2944748)   #759
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
2) Joe Twyman and Paul Radisich shared Roger Wills McLaren M1B (24) to finish 5th
I should have said that 5th represented an incredible result! The M1B is a Sports Racing Masters car, not World Sports Car Masters and runs on much earlier rubber (Dunlop Ms), narrow rubber, small brakes, little aero etc. So 5th in that race was an amazing result.
Old 23 Aug 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2944750)   #760
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Poor (and modest!) Enrico; destined to win the last race of the meeting when most people were packing up to go home. Cracking race by the sounds of it with 4 drivers circulating close together, so just to show you are not forgotten and especially since no less than 3 of the top 4 were 10-Tenthers, here's how they finished:-

As you can see just over 1.7 secs covered the first 4. It seems that Roger was leading for much of the way but tagged a backmarker and spun before recovering to 3rd. Would be good to get driver accounts, guys.
Yes, sadly I caught a backmarker on the very last lap at Maggots / Becketts and we touched. I lost the lead and only finished on the podium due to the incredibly gentlemanly gesture of Peter Horsman who allowed me past to take 3rd. Thanks again Peter!

I feel terrible for the driver of the car I touched who unfortunately failed to finish. I hate contact and it was of course totally unintentional. One of those unfortunate incidents.

Another incredible race though and my two races in the Cooper at SC2011 are one of the highlights of the season for me so far!
Old 23 Aug 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2944764)   #761
SteveTandy
Rookie

United Kingdom
gloucestershire
SteveTandy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, interesting reports and some great photos.

For us Group C was fabulous on the new circuit, qually in the wet a new experience and all pretty much went to form on Saturday, Sundays race was spoilt when backmarker turned in under waved blues and minimal contact resulted in ripped out valve / puncture.

WSM eventful. Qually ruined by clutch hydraulic leak, race went as far as first corner, took major punt up rear so re-started dead last. The in car footage is scary, how all the others missed me who knows! Drive through field very entertaining but Olly B class of field again that day.

On to Donington ...
Old 24 Aug 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2945002)   #762
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
I should have said that 5th represented an incredible result! The M1B is a Sports Racing Masters car, not World Sports Car Masters and runs on much earlier rubber (Dunlop Ms), narrow rubber, small brakes, little aero etc. So 5th in that race was an amazing result.
Agreed, Roger!
Old 27 Aug 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2946848)   #763
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Quote:

It was a great race. Me and Roger have been very close for all the race, I tried to get by him a few times but without succeding. Then on last lap at Becketts the backmarker didn't see Roger closing in and they had a very light wheels contact. I was lucky to get a gap between the 2 spinnign cars and went through ok. Third time I win at silverstone classic after the guy in front spins on last lap . Definetely a lucky place for me. Cheers.
Old 27 Aug 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2946917)   #764
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Spaggiari View Post
Third time I win at silverstone classic after the guy in front spins on last lap . Definetely a lucky place for me. Cheers.
2 of the 3 times it was me that gave you the win!
Old 6 Sep 2011, 13:34 (Ref:2951674)   #765
lml698
Racer

England
Glos
lml698 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be interested to hear if anyone has news of what is planned for the Classic in 2012. The early planning meetings usually start about now and the date we know is set for 2 weeks after Le Mans Classic !!! 20 - 22nd July.
Presumably the E Type race is out and hopefully the C list Celeb race?
Old 11 Sep 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2953960)   #766
Enrico Spaggiari
Rookie

Italy
Verona , Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
2 of the 3 times it was me that gave you the win!