Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 16 Sep 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2760509)   #1
andrewlb
Rookie

andrewlb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seat/Harness safety rating for passenger seat.

Hi all,

I need a second seat in my race car for receiving tuition during testing sessions. It will be removed during races.

Will I have to fit in-date FIA harnesses and an FIA approved seat for the passenger?
Old 16 Sep 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2760520)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I didn't think that cars were scrutineered for test sessions but it'll be down to what your observer is happy with.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2760558)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to do hot laps for the British Heart Foundation days at Snetterton and rides for my sponsors at various tracks and just used a normal race harness and seat that I kept for the purpose. I can't remember them being inspected. But I made sure that they was as safe as possible.
Skid Scarbrough and me drove around Spa carrying people for a champagne firm that was sponsoring the race, without seats or belts fitted !!!

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 16 Sep 2010 at 19:58.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 17 Sep 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2760963)   #4
teamKDRACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire UK
teamKDRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
second seat

I WOULD !

I too have heard of (but not witnessed) a passenger ride in a Racing Caterham with no second seat or belts present - on a well known British circuit with a race driver and..

I too have also never witnessed any form of scrutineers inspection on testing days, on any circuit up and down the country even while I was helping a manufacturer - I'm sure they are only present for competition excluding maybe DB check?

That said if I was to give tuition I would want to make sure the seats and harness were safe.
ALSO as pointed out on a testing day ie: Novice cross - I would be concerned as a driver, if it does go pair shaped, "even on a testing day" all of sudden the same MSA / FIA rules used by scrutineers for racing may suddenly apply under investigation?

Still clocking up posts to get that avatar.. LOL
Old 17 Sep 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2761044)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've had the privilege of two laps round Spa in a porsche 956. Seatbelt was a lap and diagonal which doubtless fitted somebody, somewhere but not me!

See the signature as to why I did it, but it counts as one of my lifetime experiences.

Regards

Jim
Old 18 Sep 2010, 06:43 (Ref:2761114)   #6
teamKDRACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire UK
teamKDRACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seat/belts

Even though it's maybe not mandatory? Maybe your brave enough to fit a seat of an unknown (non regulation) quality... Surely best If you really want to know to ask the instructor/company?

Although some of the Guys I race are race instructors and they would probably do it regardless, the company or any insurance they do it for might say different.

A basic seat and harness does not cost that much anyway - if you've got to fit one!

Good luck with your testing
Old 18 Sep 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2761356)   #7
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I could fit a passenger seat in either of my active cars, it would be the same as I sit in. Same for the belts.

You have to think of it as they have been entrusted into your care, and could you live with yourself if something went wrong, they got injured or worse, and it was your fault for skimping on the safety kit??????
Old 19 Sep 2010, 00:25 (Ref:2761386)   #8
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good seat and belts is definitely required for passengers.

Seen a master at work at Mondello once, rolled into the gravel trap at turn one with passenger on board
Old 10 Nov 2010, 11:03 (Ref:2787990)   #9
Jen-MSAR
Advertiser
Rookie

United Kingdom
Jen-MSAR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What car do you have? It is a very good idea to fit a seat and harness for passenger/instructor use. I know some trackday organisers and some instructors that will refuse to instruct unless you have a proper seat.
Testdays do not allow passengers so I presume you mean trackdays...

We have a selection of seats and harnesses on our website http://www.msar-safety.com we also have a few harnesses on special offer at the moment http://www.msar-safety.com/products....l%20Offers&c=1

Thanks
Jen
Old 17 Nov 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2792126)   #10
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen-MSAR View Post
What car do you have? It is a very good idea to fit a seat and harness for passenger/instructor use. I know some trackday organisers and some instructors that will refuse to instruct unless you have a proper seat.
Testdays do not allow passengers so I presume you mean trackdays...

We have a selection of seats and harnesses on our website http://www.msar-safety.com we also have a few harnesses on special offer at the moment http://www.msar-safety.com/products....l%20Offers&c=1

Thanks
Jen
Need a new harness for my Locost - I'll take a look!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2792148)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Need a new harness for my Locost - I'll take a look!
Make sure you check the FiA date on any harness you buy as you could easily lose a year.