Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 30 Jan 2019, 11:45 (Ref:3880649)   #3326
sethmate
Rookie

United Kingdom
sethmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbeard View Post
They also have the Fosters shorter circuit at Oulton park, so they could do it like Brands and have one meeting using the Island circuit and a second meeting using the shorter Fosters.
Didn't they use the shortest layout at Oulton in the late 90s? Seem to recall something like that anyway.

As for Croft and Knockhill being too expensive for the teams! Is that really the case? Over a season with all the panel bashing and superfluous hospitality and other things going on, is an extra trip up the A1 / M1 to Croft really going to make or break budgets?
Old 30 Jan 2019, 12:17 (Ref:3880650)   #3327
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmate View Post
As for Croft and Knockhill being too expensive for the teams! Is that really the case? Over a season with all the panel bashing and superfluous hospitality and other things going on, is an extra trip up the A1 / M1 to Croft really going to make or break budgets?
back of a fag packet calculation says that per truck to knockhill it's maybe an extra £400 return depending where the workshop is located, and maybe an extra night in a hotel and day's pay for the team to set up rather than travelling 6-8 hours up in a van and then doing a full set up.

knockhill at the moment ends up being the best part of 6-7 days away for the porsche teams because of pre-event testing, and a day less for the ginetta and f4 teams. the btcc guys arrive last.

as an aside, the biggest issue for me with knockhill over anywhere else is that on the test days you end up with a fair amount of truck movements whilst the f4 cars are driving around the paddock. doesn't seem very clever.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 12:38 (Ref:3880654)   #3328
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbeard View Post
They also have the Fosters shorter circuit at Oulton park, so they could do it like Brands and have one meeting using the Island circuit and a second meeting using the shorter Fosters.
The problem with Oulton is that there are restrictions over how many times the circuit can be used. I believe the limit is now four Sundays per year. Adding a second BTCC meeting means losing either the Gold Cup or a BSB round, neither of which seems likely.

There is a work-around by copying what British GT do - run over a bank holiday weekend, qualifying on Sat, race on the Mon, with no activity on the Sunday. I can't see TOCA or ITV being keen on that idea.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 12:48 (Ref:3880655)   #3329
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmate View Post
Didn't they use the shortest layout at Oulton in the late 90s? Seem to recall something like that anyway.
From memory I think they ran two races a year 1995-2001. May was usually the short Fosters layout, then Island in September. Although it did vary some years. They tried the full international with the shell oils corner one year, similar to that tried recently.

Nowadays the locals complain about the noise, so they're limited on the number of big meetings they can run. Not like they didn't know there was a racing circuit there when they moved in. It's been in use since the mid 1950s!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 13:19 (Ref:3880659)   #3330
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
these 2 are playing chicken, whoever announces first - PMR with Plato or Motorbase with Hamilton will be immediately trumped same day by the other when it comes to media attention
Surly the Plato news is far bigger story than Nick Hamilton. One is a multiple champion with 90 something wins and the other is the brother of somebody.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3880663)   #3331
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends how you look at it. Internationally, ‘Lewis Hamiltson’s brother’ is a much bigger name than ‘multiple domestic tin top championship winner’.

JP is well known within UK Motorsport but for a lot of people, motorsport stops at F1, there’s thousands of people in the UK who watch F1 and nothing else, to them, the brother of their golden boy is much bigger draw.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 13:41 (Ref:3880665)   #3332
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Surly the Plato news is far bigger story than Nick Hamilton. One is a multiple champion with 90 something wins and the other is the brother of somebody.
Depends on what news Plato has?
Old 30 Jan 2019, 14:02 (Ref:3880668)   #3333
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
depends which one will make the cover of the motorsport weeklies really

I agree Plato is the bigger, more successful name and carries more weight and any announcement he makes by default will be a headline but "Hi im Lewis Hamiltons disabled brother, you may remember me from some 16th places in the Clio Cup" gathers more a lot more media attention these days because of who he is related to

Last edited by btccbloke; 30 Jan 2019 at 14:23.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3880670)   #3334
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
back of a fag packet calculation says that per truck to knockhill it's maybe an extra £400 return depending where the workshop is located, and maybe an extra night in a hotel and day's pay for the team to set up rather than travelling 6-8 hours up in a van and then doing a full set up.

knockhill at the moment ends up being the best part of 6-7 days away for the porsche teams because of pre-event testing, and a day less for the ginetta and f4 teams. the btcc guys arrive last.

as an aside, the biggest issue for me with knockhill over anywhere else is that on the test days you end up with a fair amount of truck movements whilst the f4 cars are driving around the paddock. doesn't seem very clever.
the amount of pre-event testing for the support series is crazy, most teams arrive on the monday and there is 4 days testing including the official friday. how much track time do the supports really need. as for the truck movements, have them before 9am, during the lunch hour and after 5pm. i agree moving artics whilst smaller cars are going about is not the safest, even with bankspersons and marshals
Old 30 Jan 2019, 14:12 (Ref:3880671)   #3335
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBoy View Post
Nowadays the locals complain about the noise, so they're limited on the number of big meetings they can run. Not like they didn't know there was a racing circuit there when they moved in. It's been in use since the mid 1950s!
Copy paste for pretty much any circuit in the UK these days. Bloody nimbys! *grumble, grumble*
Old 30 Jan 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3880694)   #3336
HopAlong
Racer

HopAlong should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guarantee if it was I Football stadium or open air music concert you wouldn't hear complaints. Its like those people on those house buying programmes that complain about being to close to the main road, from someone who lives on a main road, you barely notice it and tune it out. For those living near tracks I bet you barely hear it.

I think local councils should stop pandering to churches over race tracks on Sunday, its so wrong that legitimate businesses and livelihoods play second fiddle to, sorry I cant think of anything that wont come off nasty.

Don't understand how Nic Hamilton is a bonus for any team. How to you PR spin scoring 0 points over a season with a best finish of 23rd? or do Motorbase think they can make a killing on accident damage?
Old 30 Jan 2019, 16:11 (Ref:3880697)   #3337
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopAlong View Post
Guarantee if it was I Football stadium or open air music concert you wouldn't hear complaints. Its like those people on those house buying programmes that complain about being to close to the main road, from someone who lives on a main road, you barely notice it and tune it out. For those living near tracks I bet you barely hear it.

I think local councils should stop pandering to churches over race tracks on Sunday, its so wrong that legitimate businesses and livelihoods play second fiddle to, sorry I cant think of anything that wont come off nasty.

Don't understand how Nic Hamilton is a bonus for any team. How to you PR spin scoring 0 points over a season with a best finish of 23rd? or do Motorbase think they can make a killing on accident damage?
I agree

{quote=} Depends how you look at it. Internationally, ‘Lewis Hamiltson’s brother’ is a much bigger name than ‘multiple domestic tin top championship winner’.

JP is well known within UK Motorsport but for a lot of people, motorsport stops at F1, there’s thousands of people in the UK who watch F1 and nothing else, to them, the brother of their golden boy is much bigger draw.
{quote}

I couldn't care less if Hamiltons brother is driving or not. Not exactly setting the world alight in tin tops is he? But Plato being on the grid does. At least he can be competitive.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 17:01 (Ref:3880706)   #3338
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
I agree

{quote=} Depends how you look at it. Internationally, ‘Lewis Hamiltson’s brother’ is a much bigger name than ‘multiple domestic tin top championship winner’.

{quote}

I couldn't care less if Hamiltons brother is driving or not. Not exactly setting the world alight in tin tops is he? But Plato being on the grid does. At least he can be competitive.
I think the description of could be levelled at JP over the past couple of years too in actual fact!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3880719)   #3339
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopAlong View Post
You mean the church breaks that have been in place since the circuit opened?

Anyone else see the irony here. It's wrong for new residents to complain about race tracks that were there before the houses were built, but ok for race tracks to ignore churches that were there decades (centuries?) earlier.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3880726)   #3340
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
I quite enjoyed the races at the long track, but Oulton is a awkward circult anyway, it feels too small for big touring cars and GT type cars, almost like Cadwell Park

To call it (Thruxton) a placeholder suggests it may still be replaced but that isnt the case for 2019 at least so we need to just accept that its there
No, 2019 will definitely be Thruxton. And we're running out of time for 2020 to be honest. Need to get the politicians to actually do something.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 18:41 (Ref:3880727)   #3341
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ashley Sutton on Twitter hoping to be back. Not exactly sounding confident.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 18:50 (Ref:3880728)   #3342
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Ashley Sutton on Twitter hoping to be back. Not exactly sounding confident.
Work still in progress to sort the teams finances I'm told. It's going to be damned tight, so testing, development etc. will be next to zero. Let's hope they are on the grid otherwise we'll be missing quite probably the best driver of his generation.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3880731)   #3343
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Work still in progress to sort the teams finances I'm told. It's going to be damned tight, so testing, development etc. will be next to zero.
thats exactly the same every year for that team!
Old 30 Jan 2019, 19:03 (Ref:3880732)   #3344
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Work still in progress to sort the teams finances I'm told. It's going to be damned tight, so testing, development etc. will be next to zero. Let's hope they are on the grid otherwise we'll be missing quite probably the best driver of his generation.
I'm sure they will be, but it might be shambolic as usual until they get to their good tracks.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 19:06 (Ref:3880733)   #3345
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
And, if they make the start of the season, will they see it through?

Surprised that Ash has stuck with BMR through all this, when you'd expect there to be several other offers on the table for him..?
Old 30 Jan 2019, 19:12 (Ref:3880736)   #3346
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
And, if they make the start of the season, will they see it through?

Surprised that Ash has stuck with BMR through all this, when you'd expect there to be several other offers on the table for him..?
You've forgotten who his personal manager is though and he might be tied to him for some considerable time.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 19:24 (Ref:3880737)   #3347
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Precisely. And over and above that Ash respects Warren and is thankful for Warrens support over the past few years. I think they'll struggle around 'til Oulton, Ash will win races on merit (i.e. not reliant on reverse grid manipulation) at Croft, Knockhill, maybe Oulton. And be in with a mathematical chance at the title come Brands.
Old 30 Jan 2019, 21:34 (Ref:3880753)   #3348
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I have a bad feeling that we aren’t getting any noises of late. Is something going on that’s not right?
Old 30 Jan 2019, 22:51 (Ref:3880767)   #3349
jsmee
Veteran

England
Essex, UK
jsmee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone aware of any test days planned in for teams in the next few weeks? Keen to get out and watch some testing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Jan 2019, 06:53 (Ref:3880818)   #3350
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmee View Post
Anyone aware of any test days planned in for teams in the next few weeks? Keen to get out and watch some testing!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
AmD/TPR are out the end of Feb & Early March. Motorbase & Ciceley off to Spain I believe.