Old 6 May 2010, 19:58 (Ref:2685605)   #101
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny_boman330 View Post
had a very good day!! thanks to all who made me very welcome on village!!
good group of guys, and gal!
Thanks Danny, good to have you there and was glad to help when the SC came out.
Old 7 May 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2685961)   #102
Motorsportgirli
Racer

England
Hornsea
Motorsportgirli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman1963 View Post
"them and us" is still rife in parts of Silverstone it would seem.

My last 2 visits to Silverstone, I was met with the same, which is why I voted (and vetoed) with my feet.
Ive been watching this thread from afar but thought i might drop my thoughts in...

I really think it is who you are on post with as PJ said. I have marshaled silverstone on a few occasions and really been put out by people on post with the us and them attitude, ......but saying that I have met many lovely people. Admittedly I only marshal the GP and BTCC there now but that has been due to my first experience of Silverstone when i first started marshaling. Shock horror! at the GP last year my IO stuck up for me with a fellow Silverstone IO when my actions where questioned!

Maybe its a case of if you stereotype people, maybe you become uber sensitive to issues that may arise? (im not saying thats what happened) If you are expecting it to happen then you will always be looking for it?
Old 7 May 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2686094)   #103
PULSERACING
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford
PULSERACING should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christ this talk seems so childish. I marshal only silverstone and personally wear orange because i think its more visible and most of the silverstone overalls have short legs and baggy bums. I enjoy being on post with any colour or creed as long as they are fun and the only "them and us" should be those who do marshal and those who dont. So a plea to any marshal who is thinking of joining us at silverstone. We are not all miserable gits and the grumpy are few ard far between.
Old 7 May 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2686147)   #104
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I love marshalling at Silverstone, just don't do it that often since we stopped doing FIA meetings (for personal reasons). What could be better than delivering pies in the wee small hours or watching a start from (what used to be) Ped Bridge; End of Pit Wall or Copse In Flag Points? And some of the blue flagging points are beyond compare (so long as you're not under F1 control).

I've never had any problem with "colour" - I'll kiss and hug anybody no matter what type of overalls they are wearing - so long as I know them !!!

I agree though that some thought should be given to track access. If the flags/SC board are dumped trackside then I usually have to ask someone to fetch them for me (AM) and return them (PM) because my climbing days are long gone, even with footholds in the wall.

And, Silverstone should really put SC boards on the flag points like they had at Donington (wash my mouth out) and take a leaf out of MSVR re toilet-type facilities. If it is good enough elsewhere, it should be good enough at the "home of british motor racing".
Old 8 May 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2686574)   #105
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like Silverstone. Sure, it's a bit different and I wouldn't like to be an observer there (I don't think you can be a PC with the physical separation on most posts). Then again, I don't want to be one anywhere, so no loss!

I usually flag there because that's what I enjoy doing most at the circuit, and that means you have to make an effort to meet the people near you because you're not in the same place. As long as you do that, there's really no problem. The best I/Os make a point of including you anyway.

Flag post facilities are poor for a place of this reputation. I agree with Sheila, SC boards should be fixed, you need a flat surface to put your entry list/running order, on too many it is difficult to place the flags where they're handy (especially on a windy day) and a bit of cover would be appreciated. They could put in landlines while they're at it...

I think the nail has been hit. If you go there expecting to find an attitude you'll not only find it but probably give it out as well. Go along to enjoy yourself and meet another group and I don't think you'll have any problems.
Old 8 May 2010, 19:05 (Ref:2686655)   #106
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've never had anything but a warm welcome at Silverstone from my very first meeting onwards, as I have at every circuit I've marshalled at. I joined SMT last year but always wore orange, mainly as I couldn't justify forking out for another set of overalls. But the recent offer of a full refund after 10 meetings encouraged me to buy a set of blacks (hopefully they'll keep those horrid flies at bay!). I've never seen any animosity towards non regulars but have seen the odd one turn up with the attitude of 'us & them' which is totally wrong and completely unjustified.
Old 8 May 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2686728)   #107
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So looking at the Title of the thread...

was the standard of racing up to what we experienced in AD ??
and did i miss a good weekend of Racing
Old 9 May 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2686952)   #108
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was a cracking weekend! GT1 was awesome, the best I've ever seen them race (I wasn't at AD so can't compare to that). The 2x1hr sprint format really seems to work, with everyone really going for it. The weight penalties need to be sorted as the Astons were mega quick while the Corvettes were too slow plus it was a shame that the results were changed 3 hours after the race (1st & 2nd place Aston got time penalties handing the win to a Sumo Nissan). GT3 was even more entertaining! GT4 was a bit dull and the grid seemed tiny compared to last year. F3 a bit mixed-Sundays first race in the wet was very good but the other 2 a bit processional, though there was a bit more passing on the new circuit compared to the old GP layout (as there was in all the races). Just don't mention the mud.........
Old 9 May 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2687559)   #109
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel View Post
So looking at the Title of the thread...

was the standard of racing up to what we experienced in AD ??
and did i miss a good weekend of Racing
in answer to the comparison to AD I would say the GT1 race was better at Silverstone, very close, very fast and at times very hard. the footage will still be on www.gt1world.com and it is very good coverage