Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 May 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2684919)   #51
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys certainly seem to have got it worse than we did at Silverstone! Just finished watching a recording of the races and quite impressed.

Times like this, it's worth looking at how the rally folk take care of themselves (although I've seen plenty of them in jeans and a hoodie).

Best tip I was given early on was to understand that a waterproof jacket will drip down the back of your proban encased legs unless you get the waterproof trousers on from the start. Also a good idea to choose the sort with a zip or similar wider opening on the ankles, so that you can slip them on and off without removing your boots.

My own favourite item (from a Rally training day) was to get a couple of pairs of Sealskinz socks. In effect, these are 2 socks with a waterproof layer in between and worth the 20 quid to keep your feet dry all day.

No mention of headgear above, but a cold, wet head doesn't think quick does it? More than one hat in your bag (inside the waterproof sack) and changes of gloves all help to make life a little more tolerable.
Old 5 May 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2685072)   #52
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can heartily recommend these bags for wet & windy weather:

Drybags from Alpkit

The fact that they all come in orange is of course a bonus!

The only drawback, of course, with all of these types of bag (bin bags included) is the challenge of opening them without the weather getting in...
Old 7 May 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2685947)   #53
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think our Post Chief got it about right when he said most people would not have expected it to be that cold in May, and therefore did not bring enough warm clothes. Fair play, he spent a lot of time making sure we were all OK and offering spells off in the hut. Thank you, Richard.

Jumping around to keep warm, and retain some ability to move limbs, seemed to help. Until we noticed we were being captured on a mobile phone camera (by a spectator, before anyone goes off on one ) As this would have shown 3 "Not quite in the first flush of youth" gentlemen bopping about to a crass pop track that accompanied the green flag lap, we beat a hasty retreat back to staring at the rain dripping off the headgear.

I think I finally thawed out just as the polls closed!!
Old 7 May 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2685954)   #54
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seeing Widnes' Finest getting a name check at the top of the thread has reminded me of an incident: the commentator reporting that O'Neill had been "overtaken whilst the cars were racing back to the line to pick up the Safety Car". Race 2, if memory serves.

2 things here: can someone let the poor old commentator know that this years' Safety Car procedure means that they should not have been racing back to the start line as in previous years? i.e. the race was nullified when the SC board and flags were displayed

Secondly, does anyone know if the drivers who overtook under waved yellow for the deployment of the Safety Car were penalised? They certainly didn't give the place back and the TV footage will be able to confirm.
Old 7 May 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2685958)   #55
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Bulge View Post
I think our Post Chief got it about right when he said most people would not have expected it to be that cold in May, and therefore did not bring enough warm clothes.
Rule number one for people who live in this country. Always be prepared for any weather at any time.

I remember BTCC @ Croft last year, in the middle of summer some time. Sunday morning, 12pm start, it was stinking hot. By 4pm, the Porsche race was on the verge of being cancelled due to the horrendous rain.

No matter what the weather looks like when you set off in the morning, no matter what the weather forecast says; Always .... always ... ALWAYS ... take full wet gear on post with you!
Old 7 May 2010, 17:49 (Ref:2686150)   #56
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Bulge View Post
...the commentator reporting that O'Neill had been "overtaken whilst the cars were racing back to the line to pick up the Safety Car". Race 2, if memory serves.

2 things here: can someone let the poor old commentator know that this years' Safety Car procedure means that they should not have been racing back to the start line as in previous years? i.e. the race was nullified when the SC board and flags were displayed

Secondly, does anyone know if the drivers who overtook under waved yellow for the deployment of the Safety Car were penalised? They certainly didn't give the place back and the TV footage will be able to confirm.
Tim Harvey also made this comment (on several different occasions) on the TV coverage. I did notice however on at least one occasion (& as a spectator at Paddock Hill) that the SC boards & flags didn't come out until some time after the SC had been deployed. I can only think this was due to the call to show boards & flags was delayed. On the TV, I couldn't see any yellows until after Neil had completed his move (& I leap to that particular driver's defence very reluctantly).
Old 7 May 2010, 17:57 (Ref:2686156)   #57
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
Rule number one for people who live in this country. Always be prepared for any weather at any time.

I remember BTCC @ Croft last year, in the middle of summer some time. Sunday morning, 12pm start, it was stinking hot. By 4pm, the Porsche race was on the verge of being cancelled due to the horrendous rain.

No matter what the weather looks like when you set off in the morning, no matter what the weather forecast says; Always .... always ... ALWAYS ... take full wet gear on post with you!
I was only spectating on Sunday but I too suffered from the effects of the weather & ended up leaving early. I have many years experience of outdoor pursuits & know how to dress appropriately. I actually wore more layers & higher performance clothing on Sunday than I normally wear to marshal in the worst conditions & I was still caught out. Conditions on Sunday were particularly exceptional & it's unfair to criticise those that were caught out despite dressing "appropriately".
Old 7 May 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2686160)   #58
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Rub View Post
Conditions on Sunday were particularly exceptional & it's unfair to criticise those that were caught out despite dressing "appropriately".
I don't think anyone is criticising the ones caught out, just using it as a reminder to us all to be properly prepared and to look out for each other in rough weather.
Old 9 May 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2687145)   #59
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticker Rub View Post
Tim Harvey also made this comment (on several different occasions) on the TV coverage. I did notice however on at least one occasion (& as a spectator at Paddock Hill) that the SC boards & flags didn't come out until some time after the SC had been deployed. I can only think this was due to the call to show boards & flags was delayed. On the TV, I couldn't see any yellows until after Neil had completed his move (& I leap to that particular driver's defence very reluctantly).
SR,
The Safety car is on a different radio frequency than the Post Cheifs, so R/C will have told the Safety car to go before they tell us, making it quite difficult for Post 2 & 3 to get their boards out before the safety car passes them from the pit lane exit, especially if Mr Stringfellow is in a hurry!
Last Sunday's conditions were bad but not exceptional. I spent another day, yesterday, in the rain and the wind, at Snetterton which, being an old airfield, is flat and open, not pleasant. I just think that trainees are not warned about that bad bits of marshalling, as "we don't want to put them off", so they don't come as prepared as the more experienced ones.
Old 9 May 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2687260)   #60
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really felt for the marshals at Brands last week and I hope that those who suffered have made or are making a full recovery. I haven't marshalled a race meeting since November 2007 but still marshal at Brands mid week. Where I was last weekend was cold and damp but I did have a nice saloon with a roaring fire to hide in and warm up until I had to return to my tent (normally at 3 or 4 in the morning).