Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 23 Jul 2002, 04:14 (Ref:340290)   #1
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
J. Gordon and his heroes

In the 1991 Indianapolis 500 Rick Mears and Michael Andretti had a memorable battle in the last 20 laps. Andretti had passed Mears around lap 185 and on the next lap Mears went low on the main straightaway with Andretti following down to block him. As Andretti went low Mears turned high and passed Andretti heading into turn one at 220 mph - missing the wall by less than an inch. Rick Mears went on to win his 4th Indianapolis 500.

Last week Jeff Gordon said in a radio interview here in Indy he wanted to to join his heroes AJ Foyt, Rick Mears and Al Unser Sr with four victories at the Brickyark. Please Jeffe. Last time I checked you never made such a move in your career - not at such speeds and never in car other than your basic stock car. You might want to try your hand at the Indy 500 as you always dreamed of doing but that will never happen now will it. Too much to lose and anyway NASCAR is such a popular domestic series no one will make much of a fuss over your silly statements so keep at it! Just remeber getting a good run on fat Jimmy spencer at 180 mph is a little different than Rick's pass in 1991

Jeffe said during a radio interview last week in Indianapolis that he wants to join his heroes Rick Mears and AJ Foyt as four time winners at the Brickyard
Old 23 Jul 2002, 07:50 (Ref:340344)   #2
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of silly statements... Jeff Gordon does not drive Indy cars. So therefore it would be safe to assume that he meant 4 wins at the Brickyard in a NASCAR race in a stock car, since that is the type of car he drives, even if he did not specifically say so.

If there was a drag strip at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (there may be, I don't know) and John Force had won there three times (again, I don't that either) and made a statement like that, would you assume he meant to win 4 times in Indy cars? He drives Funny cars, so I wouldn't think that, even though Indianapolis Motor Speedway is mostly famous for Indy car racing. That's like assuming a band that's going to play in a basketball arena is going to be playing basketball.

There has been 8 Brickyard 400's, and Gordon has won 3 of them. 1994, 1998, and 2001. The others were won by Dale Earnhardt in 1995, Dale Jarrett in 1996, Ricky Rudd in 1997, Dale Jarrett in 1999, Bobby Labonte in 2000.

So he said that he wants to join his heroes Rick Mears and AJ Foyt as four time winners at the Brickyard. What is so silly about that? "The Brickyard" is a race track, not just an Indy car race track. And the last time I checked 3 + 1 = 4. When he wins there again, that will make him a 4 time winner at the Brickyard. I see nothing silly there. It's just a statement of something he would like to do.

Last edited by Tim B; 23 Jul 2002 at 07:52.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 12:36 (Ref:341536)   #3
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Lars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim...there is a drap strip at IRP which is about 10 to 15 miles down the road from the Brickyard. The Busch & CTS series race their the nights leading up to the Brickyard 400. Whether John Force has won their or not...I have no clue...lol.

Another thing to take note of...the winner of the Brickyard the past 4 years has gone on to win the Winston Cup Championship.

I don't see what the big deal about Jeff Gordon's heros being open wheel guys. He grew up racing go-karts, sprints & midgets & if he would have joined the IRL instead of Nascar...he'd probably have won 4 Indy 500's by now.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 13:51 (Ref:341604)   #4
rush1
Veteran

Four 500's already? I doubt it. Indy cars are harder to drive than stock cars. They are faster and field competitors from around the world. The technology is more advanced and the driver must give good technical feedback to his engineer. Guys like Tracy, De Ferran and Castroneves are very good.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 13:54 (Ref:341610)   #5
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tracy is Good. That is why he is in CART.
Old 24 Jul 2002, 14:45 (Ref:341646)   #6
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Quote:
Originally posted by rush1
Four 500's already? I doubt it. Indy cars are harder to drive than stock cars. They are faster and field competitors from around the world. The technology is more advanced and the driver must give good technical feedback to his engineer. Guys like Tracy, De Ferran and Castroneves are very good.
I would have to disagree that Indy cars are harder to drive than stock cars. You said it yourself, the technology is more advanced...IMO that would have to make the car easier to drive. A tad easier & more comfortable driving my wife's '01 Chrysler Voyager (all the luxury & pampering) than it was driving my dad's '68 Buick Skylark (vs. shear Detroit muscle).
Old 24 Jul 2002, 19:13 (Ref:341872)   #7
rush1
Veteran

The series using the most advanced technology is f1. Would they be easier to drive than a stock car? No way. I bet even NASCAR drivers would agree with that.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 02:22 (Ref:342129)   #8
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stock cars require RAW talent.
Open wheels have traction control & practically drive themselves.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 03:55 (Ref:342140)   #9
rush1
Veteran

I would say open wheel drivers require better reflexes because of the speeds and a greater technical understanding to tell their engineers what is going on in the car. The g forces are much higher and put more of a strain on the body. That is one reason you don't see older drivers like Mark Martin and Bill Elliot in open wheel cars.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 12:52 (Ref:342396)   #10
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim B

There has been 8 Brickyard 400's, and Gordon has won 3 of them. 1994, 1998, and 2001.
Ah the 1998 race, the first NASCAR race that I properly watched (and had to wake up at 2am to watch!) MM's Silver Valvoline car was mint and he was robbed of the win! ........ should have gone right side only!

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 25 Jul 2002, 22:48 (Ref:342914)   #11
RaceFanStan
Veteran

United States
RaceFanStan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tell it like it is Tim, LOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim B
Speaking of silly statements... Jeff Gordon does not drive Indy cars. So therefore it would be safe to assume that he meant 4 wins at the Brickyard in a NASCAR race in a stock car, since that is the type of car he drives, even if he did not specifically say so.

If there was a drag strip at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (there may be, I don't know) and John Force had won there three times (again, I don't that either) and made a statement like that, would you assume he meant to win 4 times in Indy cars? He drives Funny cars, so I wouldn't think that, even though Indianapolis Motor Speedway is mostly famous for Indy car racing. That's like assuming a band that's going to play in a basketball arena is going to be playing basketball.

There has been 8 Brickyard 400's, and Gordon has won 3 of them. 1994, 1998, and 2001. The others were won by Dale Earnhardt in 1995, Dale Jarrett in 1996, Ricky Rudd in 1997, Dale Jarrett in 1999, Bobby Labonte in 2000.

So he said that he wants to join his heroes Rick Mears and AJ Foyt as four time winners at the Brickyard. What is so silly about that? "The Brickyard" is a race track, not just an Indy car race track. And the last time I checked 3 + 1 = 4. When he wins there again, that will make him a 4 time winner at the Brickyard. I see nothing silly there. It's just a statement of something he would like to do.
Tim, you made good points and I have to agree with you, even though I'm an ABGer it is obvious what jeff meant, and if he wins the Brickyard again (which I hope he doesn't, lol) he will become a 4-time winner at the Brickyard, gag, lmao.

Old 26 Jul 2002, 03:08 (Ref:343090)   #12
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
rush 1, obviously your an open wheel fan just in here to beat on your chest & tell us red necks how much better CART/IRL is better than NASCAR. Well, I'll tell you what. Which one of these three series is putting butts in the seats at all the tracks across the US? Can you say NASCAR? I bet you can.

And I'm sure Mark Martin would be able to handle an open wheel car if he so wanted. Age doesn't make a difference, sometimes the reflexes go & sometimes they don't. Mark is a fitness guru & is the strongest driver on the circuit.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 03:17 (Ref:343093)   #13
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Somtimes the best reflexes in the world won't help...didn't help Airton Senna. Bottomed out his car on the fastest turn on all the F1 series tracks, lost the grip on all four wheels, lost down force & when the tires re-gripped with the track, the car was already gone & there was no way he would have been able to re-gain control.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 13:37 (Ref:343396)   #14
rush1
Veteran

Yes, NASCAR is very popular here in the states. But so is country music and Britney Spears. Lars, even though old and fat drivers can flourish in NASCAR they can stay around too long. My God Earnhardt was what 49 when he expired. What was he doing going in circles at that age? Guess we will never know.
Old 27 Jul 2002, 02:04 (Ref:343779)   #15
Roselady3
Veteran

Roselady3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well He was fit enough to be at the front of that pack when he crashed.

Rush1--- Not all of us like country music or Britney Spears. Not any of us like our series drivers to be called FAT & OLD. Most of these drivers work out & are more fit than you think. Me thinks you open wheeled fans are just jealous that we have such a popular series that it can out rank the big ball sports. Can you say that about your series? NOPE. Go ahead- you can continue to support your jazzed up sewing machines that are so technocally advanced that they can drive themselves. I'll take a V8 engine with NO traction control that takes real control of the throttle to drive. ANYDAY!
Old 27 Jul 2002, 02:25 (Ref:343789)   #16
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is nothing wrong with F1 racing, they are a good bunch of guys, after all didn't Schumacher's teammate move over and let him win.
Old 27 Jul 2002, 08:23 (Ref:343860)   #17
Ax Slinger
Veteran

United States
The Lost Coast
Ax Slinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rush1,

It is obvious you don't like NASCAR, so tell us... Why did you come to this forum? If you like some other form of racing, we have an many other forums here at 10 Tenths. May I suggest you go one of them and talk about the merits of whatever particular form of racing you prefer?

To be perfectly honest, we're not here to discuss F1, Indy, or CART. This is a NASCAR forum. So logically, we came here to discuss NASCAR. If any of the members of this forum wish to discuss other forms of racing, we know where those forums are.

But let's get one thing strait, alright? This isn't the place to come in and start bashing everything you dislike. We call that trolling for trouble here, and judging by the reactions to your continued "silly statements", I'd say the best thing you could do would be find another forum. You won't last long in this one.
Old 27 Jul 2002, 20:34 (Ref:344133)   #18
Lars
Veteran

United States
Junior Nation
Hey Tim...I think it's a good idea to close this one out. I think the debate has turned to slamming.

Last edited by Lars; 27 Jul 2002 at 20:39.
Old 2 Aug 2002, 15:39 (Ref:348780)   #19
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Rush1 needs to read this article: http://espn.go.com/rpm/bgn/2001/1110/1276510.html
Closed Thread