Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 19 Nov 2007, 11:43 (Ref:2070774)   #1
Speedy norm
Racer

Speedy norm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Televised Grand Prix from 60-70s

I am amazed no-one has picked up on the recent ESPN Classic (sky digital channell 442) broadcasts of the GP of recent years.
So far we have had:
Mexico '68
Brands '74
Monaco '70
Silverstone '73

All of these are taken from BBC Wheelbase broadcasts of the era. With Raymond Baxter & Barrie Gill comentating.
How F1 has declined since then, and yet is more popular with the public than ever
Old 19 Nov 2007, 13:14 (Ref:2070821)   #2
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interested to hear what other people think after watching these.

Although the cars were more exiting to watch as they moved around a bit more than today's, the actual racing wasn't any better than it is today.
Old 19 Nov 2007, 17:15 (Ref:2070993)   #3
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never seem to venture that far up in the sports channels.
But has been noted, will have to keep a look-out for them
Old 19 Nov 2007, 18:10 (Ref:2071046)   #4
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having hada quick look , the British GP 1977 & 1978are on tonight at 6.00pm & 6.30pm
Old 20 Nov 2007, 09:33 (Ref:2071529)   #5
Speedy norm
Racer

Last night we were treated to British GP 77 & 78 as Devon Kev says. I was there, 3 days camping round the paddocks autographs of Stewart and Depaillier all fo 26 quid!
Tonfull - it was better then!
Old 20 Nov 2007, 09:54 (Ref:2071550)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonful
Interested to hear what other people think after watching these.

Although the cars were more exiting to watch as they moved around a bit more than today's, the actual racing wasn't any better than it is today.
But the cars were more exciting (and beautiful) to watch - period. Weren't they?
Old 22 Nov 2007, 17:49 (Ref:2073671)   #7
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've watched (and Sky+'d to keep!) all of these so far - absolutely fantastic, so many memories. Some of the races are on film, but the ones on video, looking like a live transmission, are truly amazing. Some of them I recall watching live too, particularly the British rounds, so it's particularly special to see these again.
I wonder if the 1978 International Trophy at Silverstone still exists in the archives somewhere? It was the first race I ever went to and was broadcast live by the BBC; we didn't have a VCR in the '70s so I've never seen it.
Despite these wonderful, evocative transmissions - the thing that amazes me is the catch fencing. It seemed fairly innocuous at the time but looking at cars spinning into it (and drivers struggling to get out of their cars because of it) is terrifying.... how nobody was ever decapitated by it is beyond me.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 09:12 (Ref:2074027)   #8
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
78 International Trophy was on last night 6pm! One of the first I have not seen before as I was there! Coverage was hilarious-very wet I remember it well-what I did not recall noticing at the time was Derek Daly ran with 2 numbers -38 on the front and 24 on at least one side.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 16:47 (Ref:2074275)   #9
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
78 International Trophy was on last night 6pm! One of the first I have not seen before as I was there! Coverage was hilarious-very wet I remember it well-what I did not recall noticing at the time was Derek Daly ran with 2 numbers -38 on the front and 24 on at least one side.
NO!!
Typical.

Oh well, the very kind Alan Morgan has sorted me out on that front - cheers Alan.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 17:01 (Ref:2074278)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been watching a lot of these, and I can say without doubt that F1 is better today. People complain about the lack of overtaking today - it was worse in the 70's! People moan about James Allen and ITV all the time, yet back then the TV coverage was terrible. Still great to watch though, but my my how things have come...
Old 24 Nov 2007, 17:03 (Ref:2074746)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the coverage is better coz of the more modern stuff used, but the charisma of the drivers is a little better aswell as the fact that the drivers are not driving nanny state cars that do everything for them, you can see them really working and earning their keep.

F1 is only better image wise, the racing in F1 has never really been that good in my view, that's why I dont watch it!!

Its the technology and personalities that make it what it was then and isnt now!
Old 27 Nov 2007, 15:09 (Ref:2076545)   #12
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been watching these again, I think they were first shown on ESPN a couple of years ago. In the Brands 78 race, James H retires quite early, and is interviewed while the race is on by Barrie Gill.

Was it just me, or does he, Hunt that is, come across as not entirely sober?? I know that in this period he was a little 'distracted' at times, this interview seems to suggest it may have been affecting his race-day performances...
Old 29 Nov 2007, 08:48 (Ref:2077785)   #13
futuretiger9
Rookie

United Kingdom
Leeds, UK
futuretiger9 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
I've been watching these again, I think they were first shown on ESPN a couple of years ago. In the Brands 78 race, James H retires quite early, and is interviewed while the race is on by Barrie Gill.

Was it just me, or does he, Hunt that is, come across as not entirely sober?? I know that in this period he was a little 'distracted' at times, this interview seems to suggest it may have been affecting his race-day performances...

Certainly, by 1978 McLaren had lost their edge, and James began to lose interest, although he did lead for a few laps in Spain that year, and gave the Lotus 79s a good run for their money at Paul Ricard.

There have been numerous rumours about his "lifestyle" at that time, but nothing has ever been definitely proven.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 13:13 (Ref:2078666)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think its great to be honest, from these videos its easy to see why people though these things of James, but for me the simple thing that comes across is character!

The racing was not necessairily colser but the whole deal was so much lkess sterile and formulaic as it is now, thats what I miss, I dont think the racing in F1 has ever been amazing since the sixties era when cars didnt have as much downforce, in one of the clips from the weekend you could hear James talking about downforce and how it affected even the mid seventies cars
Old 30 Nov 2007, 13:40 (Ref:2078679)   #15
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And there was me thinking the whole point of Sky was to avoid repeats....
Old 30 Nov 2007, 14:35 (Ref:2078720)   #16
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear

In the 78 Brands Interview Hunt looked/sounded away with the fairies rambling on including saying "the tyres have changed shape over the weekend"?! I heard a rumour he may have had a herbal smoke on race day, the interview would support this.........
Old 30 Nov 2007, 14:47 (Ref:2078737)   #17
Speedy norm
Racer

Watching Hunt being interviewed the other night too, with a non motor racing mate of mine who was once in the Police He too thought Hunt may be using something....
Old 30 Nov 2007, 17:03 (Ref:2078852)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that he had retired from the 1978 British GP early on as mentioned, and was interviewed (i presume, provided i have read this right) later in the race. It's entirely possible (i'd say highly likely) he'd have 'drowned his sorrows' so to speak in between his car breaking down and being interviewed.....
Old 1 Dec 2007, 18:45 (Ref:2079467)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Who cares!! It was brilliant!
Old 1 Dec 2007, 21:48 (Ref:2079536)   #20
Good Times
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey / Texas
Good Times should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hunt was crazy! many were in those dark old days.What about Alonso.
Is he on drugs, I hope not for Renault.
Or better still, Yes !
Come on let,s have a drug test for drivers each race.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 17:35 (Ref:2081526)   #21
Marcus Mussa
Veteran

United Kingdom
Monaco
Marcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarcus Mussa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Times
Come on let,s have a drug test for drivers each race.
They already do
Old 5 Dec 2007, 09:03 (Ref:2081887)   #22
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This thread seems to have got way of subject.I expected discussion of last nights programme-a comparison of the history of Ferrari & Mercedes in racing-much more interesting.