Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Dec 2007, 10:20 (Ref:2079251)   #1
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone theme tune

In the '70s there was a piece of music played over the Silverstone PA system between races and announcements. It was an up-tempo, brass section driven thing not unlike a '70s quiz show theme tune, with a Barry White soundalike muttering 'Silverstone, Silverstone' at regular intervals. Anyone remember it?
Old 1 Dec 2007, 12:43 (Ref:2079316)   #2
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont recall that but I do remember 2 'Nurburgring' songs!
Old 1 Dec 2007, 17:18 (Ref:2079425)   #3
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
In the '70s there was a piece of music played over the Silverstone PA system between races and announcements. It was an up-tempo, brass section driven thing not unlike a '70s quiz show theme tune, with a Barry White soundalike muttering 'Silverstone, Silverstone' at regular intervals. Anyone remember it?
That "Barry White" soundalike was (The then Commentator) Peter Scott Russell I think
Old 3 Dec 2007, 14:57 (Ref:2080689)   #4
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
YES! I remember this, it was rubbish! (But I liked it, just like all the other cheesy musical stuff from the 70's & 80's!).
Initially I thought the Silverstone, Silverstone, Silverstone 'singing' was a mistake - a commentator singing along without realising his mike was still open!
From the same era, I remember a race meeting (F3000 I think) that was sponsored by The Bradford and Bingley Building Society. The commentators really enjoyed repeating their advertising catch phrase ("Have you got that Mr Bradford?", "Securely Mr Bingley") on every hand-over!
Old 3 Dec 2007, 20:28 (Ref:2080909)   #5
tonful
Rookie

England
Enfield
tonful should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember it well, it was definately one of the commentators that sung it.

It was around that time that I thought the 'one minute to go board' used to make the siren sound when the marshall lifted it up, my Dad let me think that for ages before he told me the truth.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 22:13 (Ref:2080976)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I must have heard it

I have the old grey whistle test box set
Old 4 Dec 2007, 11:37 (Ref:2081312)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Man
That "Barry White" soundalike was (The then Commentator) Peter Scott Russell I think
I think you may be right. PSR couldn't help joining in.

The tune was ok the first play but after the 10th time in one day I was ready to slit my wrists