Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1657453)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your thoughts on a NASCAR-like Formula One schedule

In his comments concerning Montoya's move to NASCAR, JV mentioned that he would like to see a Grand Prix season consist of 30 races with little to no testing:

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_...331203,00.html

Quote:
I'd like 30 races and no testing, that would be bliss, fantastic.

When we go testing we do two race distances in a day for no reason, we just go round and round with no fans.
Personally, I'd love to see 30 races a season and no testing. I can't really see it impacting upon the fitness of the drivers because most of them go testing in "off" weeks, anyway. It would certainly drive down the cost of attendance because, based on the old adage of scarcity drives up demand, the more races there are, the more choices there are for the fan (especially the European fan) to pick and choose which race(s) they want to visit and so you have to make it more attractive to have the fans.

On the flip-side, though, I suppose is that will be there up to 30 locations around the world capable of hosting Formula One and the associated support races (GP2, V8s, etc)? I would struggle to think of 30 locations, but then again, I'm not up to scratch on my circuits. Once you start doubling up on locations then you start to devalue the concept of Formula One.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1657465)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They complain enough as it is about the calendar size.

It won't happen. The crews have families, it would be costly to travel to millions of locations etc...

I think F1 seasons should be 16 or 17 races, 18 max.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 13:36 (Ref:1657479)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It would dilute it. Nah, it is fine as it is. I miss enough through doing things anyway! Can't sit in front of the telly all the time.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 13:38 (Ref:1657483)   #4
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of the top NASCAR drivers do some BUSCH races as well. Some must do 45 races a year and a lot are longer than F1 as well.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 13:43 (Ref:1657491)   #5
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
They complain enough as it is about the calendar size.

It won't happen. The crews have families, it would be costly to travel to millions of locations etc...

I think F1 seasons should be 16 or 17 races, 18 max.
The crews have families? By God, why are they in Formula One? Don't they know they waive their right to have a social life when working for a Formula One team?!

Knowlesy, I think you're right concerning the length of the season, though if it could be increased to an even 20, then that would be better, especially if it came at the expense of testing sessions in front of empty grandstands. All sports should be about pleasing their spectators and Formula One is no exception - except that sometimes it thinks it is.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1657493)   #6
DeoValente
Racer

DeoValente has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dont think i could take 30 magny cours in one season. That would deffinitly blow my buble that F1 is al nice and rosey
Old 16 Jul 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1657495)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc
A lot of the top NASCAR drivers do some BUSCH races as well. Some must do 45 races a year and a lot are longer than F1 as well.
The Busch races tend to be on the same wekeend. A grueling schedule though.

A similar amount of 'work' goes into both I feel, but F1 has less races but more days when you test and can do up to two GP distances in a day.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1657498)   #8
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
30 races in america is different to 30 races world wide. Traveling costs would be sky high.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1657513)   #9
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope
30 races in america is different to 30 races world wide. Traveling costs would be sky high.
Yup. It's cheap to truck a car from coast to coast for 30 weeks a year but once the cars have to be crated and flown off around the world then racing each week just isn't viable from a logisitics point of view.

Are there even enough F1 grade tracks in the world for an extended schedule?

Personally, I would like to see more races and a greater number of grands prix on back to back weekends but considering how much the cars cost to run per race it's never going to happen unless they eliminate all testing and somehow make F1 'cheap'.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:31 (Ref:1657527)   #10
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To extend the schedule, yeah. To get 30 is another matter. You could add Fuji (keep Suzuka too of course), Spa and Jerez stright away. Paul Ricard probably ist far off being useable.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1657543)   #11
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Ricard has no grandstands and looks like someone attacked it with a box of crayons thanks to all the layouts painted on the surface.

I'm surprised Bernie turned it into a test track, hosting a GP there would have cost him nothing.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:41 (Ref:1657546)   #12
MickAU
Racer

MickAU has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, it would give us something to watch until the first round of pitstops 30 weekends a year.

The thought has merit - and amazingly, it was JV who suggested it!

Maybe they need to have a pre-season test like Moto-GP with a televised shootout at the end of it - an 'All Star' weekend of sorts.

Possibly with no between race testing it would tighten things up a little.

As for venues, they don't necessarily have to be flyaways, you could confine most of the season to Europe with great circuits there, but you would increase the flyaways adding circuits in places such as Dubai, probably another Japanese event and maybe even something in New Zealand when visiting Oz?
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1657549)   #13
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
Paul Ricard said its very happy to host a "closed" GP for buisness people only. ITs not a roblem to construct temp grandtands anyway. If stream courses can do it, so can they.

The paint is high friction paint. Helps stop spinning cars.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 14:52 (Ref:1657551)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't see any problem. There were 20 odd F1 races in 1972-when there was a lot less money around. Drivers did support races and F2 & sports cars on weekends off.Countries & circuits are queing up to join.Britain could house at least 3 more at existing venues of Brands,Donington & Rockingham.
In 1962 I saw F1 races at Snetterton,Goodwood,Aintree(2)Silverstone & Crystal Palace.Had to miss the one held at Mallory Park same day as Crystal Palace-half the cars went to each!
Old 16 Jul 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1657591)   #15
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the schedule could be up to 20-25 races. Yes, the crews have families, but most are doing a job they really like, don't they? Not everyone can say he or she works for Ferrari or McLaren.

If technology is limited from 2008 on, perhaps some of the money not used there can go for travelling costs...
Old 16 Jul 2006, 16:52 (Ref:1657610)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
While there are no "fly-away" races in NASCAR, the.cosmic.pope, travel is not the easy thing you make it to be. A quick look at a map of the US shows races everywhere from Dover, Delaware to California with stops in Texas, Georgia, etc.

Rob29, I remember the good old days as well when multiple races in one country was the norm and schedules were longer.

Imagine what the budgets would be though! If 18 races = $250 million for Toyota, 30 races would be an easy $125 million more - I mean think of the expense involved in hauling all of those trees around to 12 more venues...I wonder if I could get a job as "Team Shrubber" or something? I can see it now: "JohnSSC, McLaren F1 Team Shrubber." I could have assistants wearing those crazy looking helmets the pit crew gets to wear, and kevlar watering cans with unobtanium handles, and a wind tunnel to measure the impact of the breeze! I could do computer simulations showing how the position of the trees would generate the Maximum Shade Effect! Make that budget $400 million for a 30 race season!

Now where did I put Ron Dennis' number...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 17:33 (Ref:1657631)   #17
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think 20-25 races would be fine & wouldn't be a massive increase in expenditure as long as there was a massive cut in the amount of testing-Say 5 or 6 open days of testing in the winter & 3 more throughout the year + the Fridays at every race with a maximum of 4 cars in each testing session. Also encouraging teams to use numerous liveries on the non-race cars during testing sessions would attract more money to each team so they could afford to spend more. I think that it could be made to work quite well + with the reduction of testing there would be no increase in the amount of time spent away from home for the families, just that it would be structured slightly differently throughout the year.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 16 Jul 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1657638)   #18
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
While there are no "fly-away" races in NASCAR, the.cosmic.pope, travel is not the easy thing you make it to be. A quick look at a map of the US shows races everywhere from Dover, Delaware to California with stops in Texas, Georgia, etc.
I didnt say that travling in the US was easy. But its certainly easier than shipping an entire Formula 1 team from the UK to Australia.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1657642)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh sure- but as said before the bulk of the 25+ race season would be in Europe. the tracks are historic and certainly worth racing on.

italy has 2 races- Imola, and Monza (i know san Marino...)
the UK can have 2-3 easy and close to most teams home, france can try Lemans and Magny cours, A1 ring? Assen? Spa again? the list goes on and on of great FIA apporved circuit a few HOURS DRIVe, not to mention train ride for many blokes to get to their families if this is a concern...
it would be great- Estoril- jarama-jerez-barcelona the Iberian penninsula alone has a ton of races...
Old 16 Jul 2006, 18:20 (Ref:1657663)   #20
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
Its easy to name circuits we'd like, but none of these are Grade 1 circuits. Silverstone is the only one in the UK. Estoril failed back in the late 90s and hasnt gained Grade 1 status since. A1 Ring requires a complete rebuild as the grandstands and pit buildings have been demolished and several areas of the track being ripped up.

The list of tracks we want but cant have could be endless.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1657677)   #21
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
Oh sure- but as said before the bulk of the 25+ race season would be in Europe. the tracks are historic and certainly worth racing on.

italy has 2 races- Imola, and Monza (i know san Marino...)
the UK can have 2-3 easy and close to most teams home, france can try Lemans and Magny cours, A1 ring? Assen? Spa again? the list goes on and on of great FIA apporved circuit a few HOURS DRIVe, not to mention train ride for many blokes to get to their families if this is a concern...
it would be great- Estoril- jarama-jerez-barcelona the Iberian penninsula alone has a ton of races...
The problem with this is that whilst the idea of countries holding multiple Grands Prix is a nice thought a problem exists in that there needs to be an inclination to pay for these races to be staged, which given the struggles that have surrounded the promotion of the Silverstone race, I can't really see there being enough people to be willing to fund additional races at say Brands and Donington. Also, I can't see it being that popular with the circuits, for ticket sales are the circuits' only source of revenue. Therefore, if a country were to have three races then this would probably require the same body of spectators to attend all three, which given the cost of a ticket, would probably be beyond the means of a significant number of people.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1657701)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think 20 races is a good number, and wouldnt cost much more if the testing was cut back.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 19:55 (Ref:1657702)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No matter how much you reduce the testing, any more than 22 or 24 races is not really practical, considering the cost of staging a race on a circuit with acceptable safety.

On another note, just because one driver has left F1 for NASCAR does not mean that everything F1 does is wrong and should be replaced by everything NASCAR does. This time last week JV would not have suggested this.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:01 (Ref:1657709)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well he probably wouldn't have been asked.

I expect most drivers would rather do races than testing. Is this not a normal thing?
Old 16 Jul 2006, 20:36 (Ref:1657741)   #25
Big-O
Racer

Iceland
Iceland
Big-O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see 25-30 races on a season. The costs shouldn't be a problem, they are spending enormous summs already in testing. To much testing is killing this sport anyway. These are my ten cents.