Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Sep 2017, 11:29 (Ref:3764698)   #26
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So again, Red Bull have an engine that isn't good enough, so they're going to swap it for an exploding toaster?

Honda may have made the tiniest smallest amount of progress at one point, but it certainly hasn't been enough to make a difference.
Old 5 Sep 2017, 14:43 (Ref:3764738)   #27
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It seems Honda and McLaren may both still be pushing to make this happen.

http://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/formula-...on_306537.html

Honda's comments suggest that they need to move to another team in order to stay in F1, and could that force them to buy their way in?
There is a few threads discussing the same topic. But I think that article sums up the issue. Red Bull IMHO holds all the cards in these negotiations. The question is what are they looking for from both McLaren and Honda to make this work?

* Money from Honda?
* Driver choice (Honda not pushing drivers on TR)
* Data from McLaren?

Richard
Old 5 Sep 2017, 16:09 (Ref:3764751)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
The question is what are they looking for from both McLaren and Honda to make this work?

* Money from Honda?
* Driver choice (Honda not pushing drivers on TR)
* Data from McLaren?
And also, what are Honda looking for?
At the moment they supply a team and fund a driver.
Do they want more?
Do they only want to provide engines, or do they want a team?
Was the McLaren deal a route for them to bring future drivers into F1?
Have they given up trying to compete under current regs, but want a stake in controlling the next ones?
Old 5 Sep 2017, 18:03 (Ref:3764777)   #29
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
And also, what are Honda looking for?
At the moment they supply a team and fund a driver.
Do they want more?
Do they only want to provide engines, or do they want a team?
Was the McLaren deal a route for them to bring future drivers into F1?
Have they given up trying to compete under current regs, but want a stake in controlling the next ones?
Good question as to what Honda wants. I think Honda first wants a lifebuoy to be tossed to them so they can remain in the sport. Based upon prior comments from Hasegawa, it sounds like its unlikely Honda wants to control a team right now. Maybe later. So I would put their list at...

1. Stay in F1
2. Success with the engine
3. Full return as team owner.

With each stage contingent upon the success of the previous. I wouldn't put them buying into a partial stake in TR being out of the question, but I would be shocked if they were to fully take over the team at this point. I have no clue if Honda wants to push specific drivers or not.

Richard
Old 5 Sep 2017, 19:06 (Ref:3764791)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so i thought a decision was imminent...or did Honda miss this deal line too?
Old 5 Sep 2017, 21:33 (Ref:3764820)   #31
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Good question as to what Honda wants. I have no clue if Honda wants to push specific drivers or not.
I just wonder about why they are willing to fund Alonso?
He is not gaining a massive amount of points (or even results) over his relatively inexperience teammate. And he has also been critical of Honda on many an occasion.

So what does Alonso provide for Honda at the moment?
Old 5 Sep 2017, 23:45 (Ref:3764848)   #32
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I just wonder about why they are willing to fund Alonso?
He is not gaining a massive amount of points (or even results) over his relatively inexperience teammate. And he has also been critical of Honda on many an occasion.

So what does Alonso provide for Honda at the moment?
Not really his fault though, is it?

What does Honda provide for Alonso at the moment?
Old 6 Sep 2017, 10:51 (Ref:3764911)   #33
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
So again, Red Bull have an engine that isn't good enough, so they're going to swap it for an exploding toaster?
With Red Bull's engine contract running out at the end of 2018, they might be willing to give Honda just over a season to come good? They would be in prime position for 2019 to take the better of the two engines at that stage.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3764914)   #34
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
With Red Bull's engine contract running out at the end of 2018, they might be willing to give Honda just over a season to come good? They would be in prime position for 2019 to take the better of the two engines at that stage.
Exactly.

And they don't have anything to lose either. Similar to how they use(d) Torro Rosso to train/evaluate drivers for the main Red Bull team, they can use it as a training/proving ground for the engine.

And in contradiction to McLaren, winning race or even getting podiums is not why Torro Rosso exists. They can afford a rather bad year, if Honda fails to improve.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3764919)   #35
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
If RBR were to switch to Honda power in 2019, it would probably only be for two years (2019 and 2020). So not a long association to build a winning "works" team and take on Mercedes and Ferrari.

I don't see RBR being the factory Honda team in 2019. But I could be wrong.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3764935)   #36
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
If RBR were to switch to Honda power in 2019, it would probably only be for two years (2019 and 2020). So not a long association to build a winning "works" team and take on Mercedes and Ferrari.

I don't see RBR being the factory Honda team in 2019. But I could be wrong.
I don't think they'd need to wait until 2019. If the Honda unit turned out to be better than the Renault in early 2018 (which is likely if Alonso is Renault-powered), then I'm sure Red Bull would find a way to get it in their car earlier.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 13:27 (Ref:3764938)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quite frankly Honda have thrown away all the progress they were making last season. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not on the 2018 grid
Old 6 Sep 2017, 15:03 (Ref:3764963)   #38
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Quite frankly Honda have thrown away all the progress they were making last season. I wouldn't be surprised if they are not on the 2018 grid
Yes but can Honda be seen to walk away without success.

The cultural effect of "losing face" by giving up on a failed attempt may be too much and "force" the senior management to continue at what is hard to believe isn't already a massive financial loss.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 15:35 (Ref:3764967)   #39
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Yes but can Honda be seen to walk away without success.

The cultural effect of "losing face" by giving up on a failed attempt may be too much and "force" the senior management to continue at what is hard to believe isn't already a massive financial loss.
They do have form for this though when they pulled out as a team owner and handed it over to Brawn - with a budget...

What they should of done is to buy (with McLaren) Manor GP and used this as basically an ongoing test and development programme, this would have given them more than twice the data and experience, as they could sacrifice results and as along as the cars were relatively competitive, used them as test mules.
Old 6 Sep 2017, 18:18 (Ref:3764999)   #40
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
They do have form for this though when they pulled out as a team owner and handed it over to Brawn - with a budget...

What they should of done is to buy (with McLaren) Manor GP and used this as basically an ongoing test and development programme, this would have given them more than twice the data and experience, as they could sacrifice results and as along as the cars were relatively competitive, used them as test mules.
That gives me an interesting thought. Although Honda don't have a whole team to dispose of for 100 quid or whatever it was Brawn robbed them of it for, could Honda get out this time by handing the development of their PU over lock stock to an outside business bit like they had with Mugen in the past?
Old 6 Sep 2017, 18:49 (Ref:3765014)   #41
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That gives me an interesting thought. Although Honda don't have a whole team to dispose of for 100 quid or whatever it was Brawn robbed them of it for, could Honda get out this time by handing the development of their PU over lock stock to an outside business bit like they had with Mugen in the past?
Not quite as simple as you make out, Chunterer.

Firstly, Honda actually financed Brawn during the early days, to the tune of several, possibly hundreds of, millions. And secondly, although Mugen was a totally autonomous business, it was started by a member of the Honda family.

Just looked it up to refresh my memory; it was actually the son of the founder of Honda that formed Mugen.
Old 7 Sep 2017, 09:12 (Ref:3765149)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I like the idea of Honda buying out Manor to help development. Would have been less embarrassing
Old 8 Sep 2017, 13:53 (Ref:3765443)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Not quite as simple as you make out, Chunterer.

Firstly, Honda actually financed Brawn during the early days, to the tune of several, possibly hundreds of, millions. And secondly, although Mugen was a totally autonomous business, it was started by a member of the Honda family.

Just looked it up to refresh my memory; it was actually the son of the founder of Honda that formed Mugen.
I know this
Old 9 Sep 2017, 23:22 (Ref:3765722)   #44
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Predictions on Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda's Constructors Championship position in season 2018?

Mr Kvyat and Mr Matsushita as likely pilots.

10th..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 10 Sep 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3765782)   #45
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Predictions on Scuderia Toro Rosso Honda's Constructors Championship position in season 2018?

Mr Kvyat and Mr Matsushita as likely pilots.

10th..
Matsushita doesn't have enough points to get a superlicense
Old 10 Sep 2017, 10:29 (Ref:3765830)   #46
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Matsushita doesn't have enough points to get a superlicense
yet....
Old 10 Sep 2017, 17:42 (Ref:3765892)   #47
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
yet....
he has to be 3rd in the F2 championship to get enough points, he is currently P6 37 points behind Markelov and 35 points behind Ghiotto in P4

little chance he will be P3
Old 10 Sep 2017, 19:24 (Ref:3765907)   #48
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post

little chance he will be P3
but still technically possible.
Old 11 Sep 2017, 22:11 (Ref:3766169)   #49
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
seems like everybody is winning with this deal, str, rbr, honda, sainz, gasly ...everbody but alonso (but thats normal)
Old 12 Sep 2017, 17:08 (Ref:3766338)   #50
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Torro Rosso Honda is a done deal as McLaren take over a Renault supply. Are we going to see STR prop up the bottom of the grid or will Honda sort their motors and produce a Mercedes beater for next season?

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/131767