Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Dec 2001, 13:24 (Ref:188415)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gimme 10

It appears that the V8 coverage next year will be led by Mark Oastler and Matthew White (who did the Winton round this year), with Greg Rust and Bazza Sheene in the pits.

That has got to be better than the situation at the end of this season where there was Crompton, Diffey, Oastler and Sheene all in the box, with Grant Denyer and Rust in the pits...

What do you think? Will Bazza actually wear the fire suit??
Old 21 Dec 2001, 13:26 (Ref:188417)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
pppppfffffff..he should stick to the bikes ..im sick of his oooohhhing and aaahhhhing
Old 21 Dec 2001, 19:49 (Ref:188529)   #3
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They all do such a lot of that... very disconcerting...

Malcolm Oastler isn't too bad.
Old 22 Dec 2001, 11:45 (Ref:188679)   #4
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Malcolm Oastler isn't too bad.
Except for his “Drama’s here”
Old 22 Dec 2001, 12:06 (Ref:188688)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must say that Malcolm Oastler is the silent member of the commentary team now that he is off designing F1 cars or whatever have you.... but Mark Oastler is very good

But I don't think he ever had the chance to open his mouth much this past 12 months...
Old 22 Dec 2001, 13:24 (Ref:188707)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
LOL..I didnt even pick that one up ...well spotted
Old 23 Dec 2001, 01:03 (Ref:188935)   #7
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess that means that Crompton is racing next year.

Matt White actually wasn't too bad at Winton, i was wondering what he was doing there when i first heard he was there, but he didn't do to bad. And Sheene in the pits, about time.

So Grant Denyer has been given the flick, maybe it has something to do with the problems between PROCAR and channel 10, seeing as his father Craig is a top man in PROCAR.
Old 23 Dec 2001, 01:27 (Ref:188942)   #8
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
I thought they were brothers ????

no idea really
Old 23 Dec 2001, 03:48 (Ref:188958)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

Malcolm and Mark? I'm sure they are... my mistake there, I always knew Malcolm, have hardly ever spoken to Mark.
Old 23 Dec 2001, 04:39 (Ref:188966)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
yeah I knew about the Oastlers ..I was refering to the Denyer boys.

are they brothers or father and son ?
Old 23 Dec 2001, 07:26 (Ref:188976)   #11
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Father and son- the 25 year age difference between the two is a dead give away

And there are many conspiracy theories floating around- has anyone cut through the **** and found out what really happened with Procar and 10??
Old 23 Dec 2001, 10:44 (Ref:188999)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crash, i also noticed the Oastler gaffe, but was reluctant to point it out for fear of being called pedantic. I get that a lot, but now you can take the honour.

Aside from Neal Crompton, a brilliant commetator in my opinon, the rest of the Ten crew are pretty ordinary. But hey, they're along way better than Bloody Mike Raymond, who himself is vastly superior to that idiot Eastlake.
Old 23 Dec 2001, 11:00 (Ref:189007)   #13
Ray Bell
Veteran

Neil is good, isn't he? He has found a way (something like James Hunt used to...) to put information, real information, into the commentary without making it too rushed or trying to hype up the situation.
Old 23 Dec 2001, 11:56 (Ref:189034)   #14
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely Ray, it's a pleasure to hear commentary that is informed and informative and free of hype or hyperbolic exageration. Neal has tremendous knowledge of the subject, but he is able to impart that knowledge to all of us easily, without dumbing down or patronising the audience.
Old 23 Dec 2001, 12:24 (Ref:189047)   #15
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
would have to agree 100% with that ..and hes a nice bloke too..met him a few months back and he seemd very friendly and didnt mind posing for a picture with me in the freezing cold.

if hes not commentating then I hope he is driving.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 01:56 (Ref:197787)   #16
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Ten have made a major blunder putting Barry out of the box and into the pits...but to replace him with Matthew White is outrageous!
Old 13 Jan 2002, 02:57 (Ref:197800)   #17
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Barry just wanted to be closer to Jonsey if this Clarke Forklifts Commodore comes about. I agree with Crompton being a good commentator but the rest ar just Oxygen Theifs. Bring back the Round Man Of Sound as Mulray used to call him
Old 13 Jan 2002, 06:43 (Ref:197833)   #18
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the channel 10 commentators r shockin and should have never been allowed to commentate John Watson is the best yes better than Murray

and it is mark Oastler and there is only 1 Oastler
Old 13 Jan 2002, 07:49 (Ref:197843)   #19
knackaneal
Rookie

knackaneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cromley certainly does come across as a knowledgeable pro without being a raver. Anybody know where did Leigh Diffey spring from??? He even had a few gigs for overseas CART races on ESPN via Optusvision last season. Was he involved at the Thunderdome?
Old 13 Jan 2002, 10:29 (Ref:197873)   #20
bradstar
Rookie

bradstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leigh Diffey was commentating the v8"s a few years ago and left to chase a career overseas but to no avail.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 10:51 (Ref:197893)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
I think Leigh started out commentating local dirt bike racers, and moved up through Australian Super Touring etc...
Old 13 Jan 2002, 11:22 (Ref:197918)   #22
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
To no avail? Diff is commentating the WSBK coverage amongst other gigs.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 19:07 (Ref:198131)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leigh Diffey was, until about 3 years ago, a very approachable guy in the commentary team - then he must have gotten wind of his overseas chances because his manner and attitude changed completely from one of 'Hi - how are you' to 'I'm Leigh Diffey - WTF are you?' - was a very noticeable change that developed at Wanneroo that year.

As for the other members of the commentary team - having worked (literally) in the same room as them a number of times, the one thing I have noticed over the years is their refusal to use what is placed in front of them - be it vision, timing, information etc - instead of doing commentary directed *at* the vision the camera is seeing, they insist on looking at each other when talking. Oastler and Sheen are particularly bad at this - and if Crompton is in the same room it causes a mad panic, because Neil does *not* work this way - he does watch the monitors.

This is the reason the Sheen, Oastler et al continually miss the action on the track - they are making eyes at each other instead of watching what is going on.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 06:25 (Ref:198385)   #24
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember at Bathurst in 98 when I was driving a FIV, in the morning I drove around to Forests Elbow to my position and at the exit of the corner where I was going to was Mark Oastler and a Ten camera team and Oastler was shooting that **** where he walks around the track and explains the importance of each bit of track, Oastler starts off about 15 metres away from the camera and walks towards it while giving his speach. We got in the shot as we came around the corner so they had to start filming again, then a truck with fire extinguishers drove into shot and he had to start again, then a taxi bringing people back to their house drove into the shot and Oastler exploded "I shouldn't have to put up with these conditions" he said storming off with everybody including the camera crew bursting out laughing at him.
So now we give him the nickname of "Prima" short for Prima donna.
Old 14 Jan 2002, 09:59 (Ref:198433)   #25
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some very interesting insights here into the workings of the commentary team...