Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 17 Jan 2004, 14:40 (Ref:841583)   #1
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WRC Points at end of each day

Autosport.com has annouced that the FIA could make a rule change awarding points to a driver after each day, this is quoted from autosport..

"The World Rally Championship is set for a radical overhaul in 2005, following proposals which could see points awarded at the end of each day of a rally",

"The most significant change under consideration is the introduction of the 'Superally' scoring system, currently used in the FIA Asia-Pacific and Australian Rally Championships. This system awards points after each day of a rally, with cars that have retired on a given day permitted to rejoin for the following leg".

I am against this because rallying for so long has been 3 days of endurance and keeping go right up until the end, i think this will destroy that and drivers will not be going for overall wins, but just trying to get the points they need. What are your opinions?

Last edited by Duffacus; 17 Jan 2004 at 14:41.

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 17 Jan 2004, 15:20 (Ref:841608)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The people in charge of WRC don't seem to understand the sport at all. They seem to think that copying F1 ideas will make the championship more popular. If it does, it'll be at the expense of the great traditions of what is a unique and challenging discipline.

WRC's popularity in Britain has increased over the last decade, but due to McRae, Burns and a better TV deal, not because teams can only hire 2 drivers (just like F1) or because rallies are increasingly held over small areas of repeat stages (more siilar to F1). With McRae and Burns out, and an inferior TV deal (although on a better channel), plus the resurgance of F1 and BTCC, and every likelihood of a good IRL TV package with 4 Brits in the series, that will change this year. I'm sure the story's the same in the rest of the world.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 18:46 (Ref:841725)   #3
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
f*&^ing joke

absolutely no respect or understanding for the sport...
Old 17 Jan 2004, 22:21 (Ref:841891)   #4
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is complete nonsense. I am afraid I am getting less and less interested in the WRC with every news bulletin.
Old 17 Jan 2004, 23:40 (Ref:841948)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interestingly they are pinching the idea from Australia. But the package here sees a competitor run a set of stages say on a Saturday, and then rerun the very same stages on the Sunday.

Which isnt quite the same as the WRC solution.

I suppose it would make the rallying more interesting from the sense that the fave drivers are in the rally the whole time... but given that a lot of retirements in this series are related to rolling the thing over, and hurting it badly, I would hate to see the scenario that a driver takes a crashed car out to start the next stage to get points, and it fails because of the previous crash damage... and someone gets hurt....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 18 Jan 2004, 00:49 (Ref:841996)   #6
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
yes. but the point of rallying is to get to the finish of the rally intact! not to get there after three accidents and 5 miles of gaffer tape...

to finish first, first you must finish
Old 18 Jan 2004, 01:18 (Ref:842011)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or one of those substitute car incidents

Are there provisions in the regulations for building a new bodyshell into a crumpled wreck?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods