Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 8 Aug 2022, 16:52 (Ref:4122246)   #1201
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Something very important !
Over millions of years, the planet’s rotation has been slowing down due to friction caused by the Moon. Every 100 years, around 2.3 milliseconds is added to the length of a day – billions of years ago, a day on Earth only lasted 19 hours.
Does that mean that my old wind up Big Ben repeater alarm clock will have to be replaced in a few million years time ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Aug 2022, 09:25 (Ref:4122292)   #1202
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Something very important !
Over millions of years, the planet’s rotation has been slowing down due to friction caused by the Moon. Every 100 years, around 2.3 milliseconds is added to the length of a day – billions of years ago, a day on Earth only lasted 19 hours.
Does that mean that my old wind up Big Ben repeater alarm clock will have to be replaced in a few million years time ?
The only possible answer to your question Gordon is 'Time will tell...'
Old 9 Aug 2022, 14:51 (Ref:4122341)   #1203
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't feel the year is getting any slower or longer, so we should be fine in that respect
Old 9 Aug 2022, 15:36 (Ref:4122346)   #1204
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the contrary S, the years feel ever shorter the older I get

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 9 Aug 2022, 17:48 (Ref:4122357)   #1205
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ain't that the truth?
Old 10 Aug 2022, 06:35 (Ref:4122398)   #1206
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
On the contrary S, the years feel ever shorter the older I get

My Mum always said this to me when I was lad. I never understood what she was talking about.I do feel this year has been excellent time wise.Guess the lovely weather and the Delta mission with Dr Bob had an impact.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 07:05 (Ref:4122399)   #1207
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Einstein got it all wrong. Time is not relative to velocity. It is relative to how much of it one has got left!
Old 10 Aug 2022, 07:16 (Ref:4122400)   #1208
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For a ten year old - a year is 1/10th of their entire existence. So it feels like a significant period of time.
For a thirty year old - 1/30th of their life is a less significant part.
For a fifty year old - the last year is just 1/50th of everything they have experienced, and so 'feels' like a much shorter period of time.

At least - that is how I have had it explained to me in the past.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 07:24 (Ref:4122401)   #1209
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This came through from Hagerty this morning. Looks about the same price as the race fuel we use but a lesser Ron. But if it means we can run our classics then possibly a good solution. https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/c...lassic-is-too/
Old 10 Aug 2022, 08:42 (Ref:4122408)   #1210
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This came through from Hagerty this morning. Looks about the same price as the race fuel we use but a lesser Ron. But if it means we can run our classics then possibly a good solution. https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/c...lassic-is-too/
Why not try this: "Esso Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol, which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps."

Those needing an octane boost can add a little something.

The Esso works well for me. Upgraded my fuel lines to R9 spec to be safe.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 09:07 (Ref:4122410)   #1211
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes Shell do a similar fuel. But they aren't the same as the Hagerty fuel unless I'm missing something.
Old 10 Aug 2022, 10:55 (Ref:4122412)   #1212
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Shell tend to evolve with the technology, but do it in their own unique way
Old 10 Aug 2022, 12:02 (Ref:4122421)   #1213
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Knowing the overpriced crap we have now in any gaz station, 98 or 95 or 95E10 whatever, and seeing what you have in yours is far beyond my understanding. Not mentioning the recent price increase of the super ethanol. I'm not talki,ng about taxes but choice. Incredible.
Old 11 Aug 2022, 06:52 (Ref:4122496)   #1214
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've always been confused as to why Esso pumps state 5% Ethanol while my friends insist it's Ethanol-free, thanks for that Eamonn. I tend to avoid Esso for our two strokes because the cleaners take out all our carefully accumulated carbon.

Also for our low compression motors my engine builder reckons octane is worse than ethanol. Interesting to see the comment in the article about using the car regularly, we empty the carb overnight and change the lines regularly as a matter of course. The only detrimental effect of the E10 for us has been a noticeable change in the float height. We've reset it once on all carbs since E10 and it hasn't changed again.

Old 11 Aug 2022, 11:42 (Ref:4122523)   #1215
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
You can't underestimate the importance of Belgian beer! I've also found a new French brewer here selling beer under the name 'John's Beer', which is fine by me.

Back to Andy's point, I really think it would be a good idea if the English-speaking world collaborated a lot more in the production of 'stuff'. No stifling EU-type nonsense - that just bogs everything down -but just good old fashioned working together for the common good. I am sure there has to be a future in that. We need at least one low-wage economy on board though!
Obv answer is the Commonwealth...
Old 11 Aug 2022, 16:01 (Ref:4122553)   #1216
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Obv answer is the Commonwealth...
Well exactly, but Commonwealth + really as you would need to include America & I somehow doubt they would want to join the Commonwealth.
Old 11 Aug 2022, 16:16 (Ref:4122556)   #1217
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not sure we'd want them anyway.
Old 11 Aug 2022, 18:07 (Ref:4122563)   #1218
midgetman
Veteran

We kicked them out in 1776

Old 11 Aug 2022, 19:23 (Ref:4122573)   #1219
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Funny I thought it was the other way round?
Old 11 Aug 2022, 21:44 (Ref:4122578)   #1220
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Funny I thought it was the other way round?
Meh just wait a few more years and we will have done. If you repeat a lie often enough it becomes the truth. Remember you read it here first.

Old 11 Aug 2022, 21:49 (Ref:4122580)   #1221
midgetman
Veteran

Dilbert called it in 2009.

Old 11 Aug 2022, 21:58 (Ref:4122581)   #1222
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

What do us Brits call US Independence Day?

Thanksgiving!
Old 11 Aug 2022, 22:40 (Ref:4122585)   #1223
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

Thanksgiving!
Old 12 Aug 2022, 08:52 (Ref:4122608)   #1224
S griffin
Veteran

So anyone got anymore plans for going away before the end of August?
Old 12 Aug 2022, 09:10 (Ref:4122611)   #1225
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

Thanksgiving!
Hilarious!
Closed Thread