Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Sep 2000, 12:53 (Ref:36124)   #1
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok I have to ask the question.

Why didn't they red flag the race after that huge accident ?

Old 10 Sep 2000, 12:55 (Ref:36125)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree. There were shards of carbon fibre all over the chicane, and I am sure there still are. Does anyone know anything about the condition of the marshall that was injured? Hope he's all right. It is a miracle that none of the drivers involved were not seriously injured or worse.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 13:11 (Ref:36126)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Simply because TGF made a good start and was in 1st !!!!
Old 10 Sep 2000, 13:33 (Ref:36127)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, because 1/5 of the race was wasted.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 13:48 (Ref:36130)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am only thankful that nobody was killed. I prayed really hard for de la Rosa when I saw the replay of that horrible accident of his.

Since the script said TGF would win, there was no reason to stop the race in any case.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:06 (Ref:36138)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did Frentzen pronounced about the crash ? I heard DC and RB talking about. DC had aches in his right hand, and RB was showing a nasty scratch in his helmet, with part of it broken.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:13 (Ref:36145)   #7
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher had a good start, I doubt that the stewerds wanted to be responsible for Shume loosing the lead on a re-start.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:15 (Ref:36147)   #8
Ace
Rookie

Ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In days like today you see the hand of Bernie and Max. There is no reason whatsoever to waste 20% of the race behind the pace car other than to help TGF.

Rubinho was on a mision to prevent JV getting ahead. He blocked him 2 times. Both of them loose 3 positions. Ferrari and maFIAt worked a very good script for this race. Very good from the point of view of TGF of course.

What is with Monza. Do they have an arrangement with kleenex?
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:31 (Ref:36163)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
the simple fact is that it should have been stopped there were cars and debris and marshalls everywhere and even one marshall injured and drivers running around thinking that the race would be stopped..it was stupid to put the pace car out like that..who cares about time constraints and stuff like that ..clear the trackmake sure evryone is Ok and then have a full re start ..and besides it mad what looked like being a cracker race turn into a complete bore.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:40 (Ref:36172)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clearly the race should have been red-flagged and restarted.
2-3 laps behind the Safety Car are one thing, but 10!!!???

There was no way that wreckage could be cleared quickly. With a marshal injured and medical staff working hard to save his life, it seems horribly disrespectfull for a parade of cars to trundle by within yards of the scene. It also would have prevented the "AMBULANSA" from having to make nearly a full circuit of Monza. A sorry and embarassindg moment for F1, but if it earns TGF the WDC, Bernie and Max will say it was worth it.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:45 (Ref:36175)   #11
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately Liz someone was killed, the marshal had died in hospital.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:47 (Ref:36176)   #12
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
NOT WITH A MARSHAL'S LIFE.......!!
I WAS REALLY UPSET TO SEE A MINI OPERATION HELD AT THE TRACKSIDE...it means something serious is happening on the scene...Mika n Senna in 94, MS in 99, and now this...
STOP THE RACE, and put all effort to save the poor man,for god sake. Is a marshal's life any inferior to that of a driver's???!!!!
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:47 (Ref:36177)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there anybody out there who still believes this "sport" is not rigged?

If more blatant proof is needed, I'd be hard to come up with any.

This is only speculation - but could TGF have been overcome by the thought that he was being required to play out a farce when people could be dying?

I wonder ....

Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:51 (Ref:36179)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he cried when he heard of Senna i guess. If i am correct, he was chasing Senna, though quite a distance behind, when the Senna accident happended.Senna was a guy MS quite respected....

And now, so much for the circuit being modified for safety reasons, a MAN was killed. IRONY in the worse wayy??
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:55 (Ref:36181)   #15
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just ridiculous. Ok maybe the race could have been aborted, but to think that the reason behind it not being aborted was the fact that Schumacher was leading is crazy. They are two very dangerous first corners, and to start the race again would simply mean more casualties, and more risks of people getting hurt. MS stayed quiet today, and drove a flawless race, and yet people are still whinging about him, and what he supposedly causes. Everyone in the panel should join the DC fanclub, where you learn to have a whinge and blame Michael when something bad happens. Oh, then again, dont join, you already seem to have the art tuned to perfection.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 14:58 (Ref:36182)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I disagree with the conspiracy theories. I don't think the powers that be give two hoots who wins, as long as it's good for the ratings.

But the ratings speak. And if they had stopped the race, people would go away, have a cup of coffee, switch over to Melrose Place or whatever.

And that would never do. Ultimately, the sole arbiter of what is decent in Formula 1 relates to the bank balance of a very few people.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 15:04 (Ref:36186)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Yes, a man was killed. I learned of this after my post, and I agree that a marshall's life is every bit as precious as that of a pilot.

Prof. Watkins said in his book that he was sickened by seeing on television at the airport his unavailing efforts to save the life of Gilles, played over and over again.

This was in 1982. It is now 2000. Clearly some people have learned absolutely nothing in those years.

I don't think TGF has anything to do with the rigging of Formula One. I don't think any good pilot would care to win a tainted championship.

But the fact remains that he is going to win it, however it has to be done.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 15:05 (Ref:36187)   #18
neutral
Racer

This is only speculation - but could TGF have been overcome by the thought that he was being required to play out a farce when people could be dying?

This is just clear stupidity. I dont mind criticism on MS, but Liz's comments here are just outrageous. Liz needs to grow up. If the sport is so rigged then stop watching.Ok this race was not as exciting as it was hyped up to be, but there in no need to keep slamming MS. In fact Im quite suprised Liz didnt enjoy this race. She is a Prost fan, and hence has seen many boring races before, then this should have been her cup of tea.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 15:11 (Ref:36189)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Not for the first time, "attack the post and not the poster."

Perhaps I am overwrought, as I have seen many more races where pilots were killed than I care to remember, and I do not recall seeing very many played out like this.

I think I "grew up" when Cevert was killed... And that was probably before a lot of you were born.

I did say my speculations were simply that - speculations. If yours are different, I have no problem with that.

As far as it being a 'boring' race, I have to admit I stopped paying much attention to it when Death joined the processing yet again.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 15:37 (Ref:36200)   #20
f1ciamp
Rookie

f1ciamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i would like to anser a few realy outrages post's over here, but let me first give my deepest remours and condolence to the family of a joung fire marshal that his life was cut in its best, ironicly he was unvulenterly killed bye those he whas protecting.

1) if they would make a restart, all the mess could of happend again, and then cousing a nother restart? cousing another one again and so on....... it was the smartest thing
to keep the safty car out there.

2)rest asure ther was no one pulling any lines to keep the race going just because shummy is leading, this kind of post's are getting more and more often here but they realy make apsolutly no sense.
please reflect before talking nonsense.

3)circuit safety, as opposed to car and pilot safety, where FIA did a remarkeble job, and it's fruits we saw today, as no pilot was hert thank g-d, maybe the approch they are taking to make the circuit safer, is not the right one, making a chicane slower bye making it norrow is as tragicly we saw today not the right thing to do, and in general slowing a circuit bye a sec. or two , is not wats gonna save the pilots, becaus if the brakes fale at 350kph or 300kph will not make mutch of a difference.

sorry again for my poor english!
Old 10 Sep 2000, 15:37 (Ref:36201)   #21
neutral
Racer

"I think I "grew up" when Cevert was killed... And that was probably before a lot of you were born."

More bullsh*t from Liz. Why do always feel the need to give everybody a resume on everything you know about F1, and how old you are, and therefore how much more you know and blah blah blah blah blah.

"I have to admit I stopped paying much attention to it when Death joined the processing yet again."

But how did you know that death had joined the process during the race? An hour after the race you posted a message asking if anyone had been hurt, but know you speak as if you knew someone had died during the race. Your insinuating that you were more compassionate by stopping to enjoy the race. You probably did stop enjoyig the race, but not for the reasons you claim. Perhaps that a certain driver won the race may have something to do with it.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 15:46 (Ref:36205)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Ignoring this little contretemps going on between Liz and Neutral, I think Bernie made himself look very suss on ITV when he actually said (these were his words), "I am pro-Ferrari."

No. I'm not joking, to anyone who doesn't have the ITV coverage.

I too spotted the carbon fibre etc. on the circuit. What I couldn't understand why, when the medical crew were operating on the marshal and the medical car was on the track, they couldn't have swept the circuit. They had all that time to do it in, so why didn't they?
Old 10 Sep 2000, 15:48 (Ref:36208)   #23
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

There is no Bernie 'n' Schumacher conspiracy, just as there is no Barrichello 'n' Ferrari conspiracy.

I think they were correct to continue with the race - they weren't to know how serious the marshal was injured, and the same accident could have happened again.

Despite the tragedy, it turned into one of the best races of the year.
Old 10 Sep 2000, 15:53 (Ref:36213)   #24
Liz
Veteran

We did not know that no one was dead... nothing was said about at least two of the pilots, and it was highly possible that one or more were seriously hurt or killed. Death was standing there for anyone to see who had eyes.

And in fact someone was killed.

Neutral, you are also overwrought. Perhaps we should both shut up on this subject. What do you think?
Old 10 Sep 2000, 16:00 (Ref:36219)   #25
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BONONI, LIZ, ACE ETC.

HOW CAN YOPU BE SO LUDICROUS (NOTE: I'M ATTCKING THE "POSTS" HERE). I AM IN UTTER DISBELIEF THAT YOU CAN COME UP WITH SUCH B.S. CRACKPOT CONSPIRACY THEORIES (NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME) ESPECIALLY IN THE LIGHT OF TODAY'S EVENTS. WHAT DO YOU HAVE IT AGAINST TGF, THE FIA, BERNIE/MAX ETC????? THERE IS NOTHING GOING ON!!! IT IS, REPEAT, IS A "SPORT". DO YOU HONESTLY THINK THEY'D BE HEARTLESS ENOUGH TO CARRY ON A RACE "BECAUSE TGF MADE A GOOD START FOR ONCE"????????? A MAN DIED TODAY FOR THE CAUSE OF PROVIDING OUR ENTERTAINMENT, IN CASE YOU NEED REMINDING.

I AGREE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RED FLAGGED. AS TO WHY IT WASN'T, I DO NOT KNOW, BUT COMMENTS LIKE THAT I DO NOT THINK SHOULD BE TOLERATED. IS THAT WHAT YOU REALLY THINK OF THIS SPORT??? UTTER BULL****.

O U T O F O R D E R