Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 9 Dec 2022, 16:06 (Ref:4136584)   #1
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Silverstone Sid

Just heard that Sid Herbert (Silverstone Sid) has died of Cancer in Northampton General Hospital.

RIP old friend.
Old 10 Dec 2022, 04:30 (Ref:4136658)   #2
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very sad news.... a month short of his 90th birthday.
Syd was a major part of the Silverstone legend. Certainly Silverstone Syd was a name I was very aware of from c.1970, long before I moved to Aus. Im sure I recall seeing the red and yellow Jag XJ back in certainly the early/mid seventies. You know you are popular when Corgi Toys release a Silverstone red and yellow Jaguar with the trimmings as they did.

He will be fondly remembered by and sadly missed by many, many competitors, track workers, volunteers, friends and also fans.

RIP "Silverstone" Syd Herbert

Edit: Just noticed on his profile here at tenths, he mentions he was involved in Motorsports from 1954! (And drives a red car a lot )
https://tentenths.com/forum/member.php?u=13548

Last edited by E.B; 10 Dec 2022 at 04:40.
Old 10 Dec 2022, 12:20 (Ref:4136685)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Just one of my blurry & out of focus pictures as an ex-forum member used to refer to them as:
Click image for larger version

Name:	13 Silverstone Sid.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	76495
RIP Sid.
Old 10 Dec 2022, 16:00 (Ref:4136698)   #4
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad to hear this. I've had a model of Sid's Jaguar for years. RIP Sid
Old 10 Dec 2022, 21:53 (Ref:4136719)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sad news. I guess that anyone who took photographs at Silverstone over the years has at least half a dozen pics of Syd and one or more of the red Jags... RIP and condolences.
Old 11 Dec 2022, 12:26 (Ref:4136778)   #6
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would I be right in remembering that Sid basically started the idea of having a "chase car" on the first lap? I also seem to recall that he was quicker than many a back row club racer.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 12 Dec 2022, 07:52 (Ref:4136840)   #7
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Would I be right in remembering that Sid basically started the idea of having a "chase car" on the first lap? I also seem to recall that he was quicker than many a back row club racer.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
I can 'proudly' say that I've been overtaken by Silverstone Sid on the first lap of a Modified Saloon Car race. I was in my 850cc Mini Se7en, the V8 Rovers and big Capri's up the sharp end were considerably quicker!
Old 12 Dec 2022, 16:29 (Ref:4136890)   #8
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Syd Herbert

RIP
Old 14 Dec 2022, 01:26 (Ref:4137087)   #9
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP