Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2022, 06:14 (Ref:4121493)   #76
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Given Alonso’s history with team changes this move probably dooms Aston Martin-although the owner’s decisions are already doing a pretty good job of that.
No upside for Alonso if the team is better in 3 years.New contract when he’s 45?
Alpine were not too fussed about letting him go.They have made the right call.Look at the points table where Alonso’s flashes of qualifying brilliance have rarely translated this year.Losing a 21 year old Piastri would be much worse for them than losing a 41 year old Alonso.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4121505)   #77
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
Good move, after the last race and the contretemps with Ocon, now could be a good time too reset.
And to remind Ocon perhaps that he's driving for the team, not just himself....?
Old 2 Aug 2022, 12:30 (Ref:4121530)   #78
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That too, he was always falling out with Perez at PincMerc wasn't he!
Old 2 Aug 2022, 13:52 (Ref:4121537)   #79
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Alpine and McLaren in reported dispute over Piastri

McLaren, stop signing drivers!
Old 2 Aug 2022, 16:47 (Ref:4121566)   #80
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's official: Piastri gets a seat at Alpine.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 17:04 (Ref:4121567)   #81
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Makes sense. I thought it would play out this way when Vettel announced his retirement. I look forward to seeing what he can do.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 18:15 (Ref:4121577)   #82
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
I just heard he signed for McLaren yesterday morning when his Alpine-controlled option lapsed!
Old 2 Aug 2022, 18:18 (Ref:4121578)   #83
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Or...not! https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/pi...2023/10347898/
Old 2 Aug 2022, 18:38 (Ref:4121582)   #84
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Clearly some posturing going on. In another article around the same time...

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/o...onso/10347858/

Quote:
Speaking earlier in the day, Szafnauer had explained that the team had not done an immediate deal with Piastri because things were not entirely settled.

"So Oscar and his camp are considering their options, whatever that means,” said Szafnauer.
It sounds like Alpine thinks (maybe has) Piastri wrapped up contractually. But whatever is going on is Alpine's perspective and not Piastri's

Richard
Old 2 Aug 2022, 18:58 (Ref:4121586)   #85
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oof.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OscarPias...27452231262210

Messy!
Old 2 Aug 2022, 19:07 (Ref:4121587)   #86
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
It sounds like Alpine thinks (maybe has) Piastri wrapped up contractually. But whatever is going on is Alpine's perspective and not Piastri's

Richard
Really?

Sounds to more like a long-term no 2/no 3/admin guy got a TP job on a short-term basis, then somehow got another TP job and now realises the job isn't maybe as easy as he thought.

To lose a double world-champion through being complacent in contract negotiations might be considered careless.

To then, on the same weekend, fly home and allow the option to lapse on the driver with arguably the best ever record in the history of junior racing might be considered even more incompetent.

It wouldn't suprise me if there's a third high-profile exit from Alpine shortly.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 19:16 (Ref:4121588)   #87
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Webber to Alpine is the only possible conclusion.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 19:29 (Ref:4121590)   #88
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
I just heard he signed for McLaren yesterday morning when his Alpine-controlled option lapsed!
Though someone else I know thinks he's signed for Red Bull and will drive for AT next year, with an expectation of replacing Perez later on!

Either way it seems he had 'options' once Alpine's option expired.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 19:54 (Ref:4121592)   #89
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wait, McLaren involved in a contract concern? Is this the right thread cause my head hurts now
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:09 (Ref:4121594)   #90
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Really?

Sounds to more like a long-term no 2/no 3/admin guy got a TP job on a short-term basis, then somehow got another TP job and now realises the job isn't maybe as easy as he thought.

To lose a double world-champion through being complacent in contract negotiations might be considered careless.

To then, on the same weekend, fly home and allow the option to lapse on the driver with arguably the best ever record in the history of junior racing might be considered even more incompetent.

It wouldn't suprise me if there's a third high-profile exit from Alpine shortly.
Maybe I am not understanding your post, but is there something we disagree on? Assuming your assertions are correct regarding how Alonso exited and Piastri's option expired and others jumped on him/he jumped. I am not saying you are wrong. I am just commenting on what has been publicly stated by those involved.

Richard
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:16 (Ref:4121595)   #91
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Webber to Renault!
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:37 (Ref:4121597)   #92
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Maybe I am not understanding your post, but is there something we disagree on? Assuming your assertions are correct regarding how Alonso exited and Piastri's option expired and others jumped on him/he jumped. I am not saying you are wrong. I am just commenting on what has been publicly stated by those involved.

Richard
No, not disagreeing on what has been publicly stated friend. Just that it was all in Alpine’s gift but they made one disastrous move after another after another after another, starting with having no engine customer and giving Ocon a contract it had no need to.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:49 (Ref:4121599)   #93
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Just that it was all in Alpine’s gift but they made one disastrous move after another after another after another, starting with having no engine customer and giving Ocon a contract it had no need to.
it really is a surprising number of missteps by Alpine and also for Otmar to lose out to his old team apparently only finding out through an AM press release that Alonso was leaving plus a tweet from Oscar saying he wont drive for them next year...

idk but it all seems more personal then business?
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:58 (Ref:4121602)   #94
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know about the Oscar, but Otmar must have acted surprised today.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:59 (Ref:4121604)   #95
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
No, not disagreeing on what has been publicly stated friend. Just that it was all in Alpine’s gift but they made one disastrous move after another after another after another, starting with having no engine customer and giving Ocon a contract it had no need to.
It is looking like a faceplant for Alpine. Especially if their option on Piastri really did laps. Given the timing. I almost wonder if Alonso and Piastri were in cahoots together to somehow screw Alpine.

1. Alonso knows he is leaving.
2. He lets Piastri know.
3. Piastri signs contract with (McLaren?) but it only comes into play once his option with Alpine is gone
4. Alonso waits until Piastri's option expires. Then announces deal with AM without telling Alpine
5. Alpine panics and tries to exercise option on Piastri, but the option has expired and Piastri has contract elsewhere.

It makes a good story. Who knows if the dates and facts line up.

Lastly there is the large deja vu on this given this happens first recently in Indycar with Alex Palou, McLaren's Indycar team and Chip Ganassi Racing. Including public announcements of taking up contract options and in Indycar even providing quotes from Palou that he didn't make.

It is all very entertaining.

Richard
Old 2 Aug 2022, 22:00 (Ref:4121609)   #96
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It is looking like a faceplant for Alpine. Especially if their option on Piastri really did laps. Given the timing. I almost wonder if Alonso and Piastri were in cahoots together to somehow screw Alpine.

2. He lets Piastri know.
3. Piastri signs contract with (McLaren?) but it only comes into play once his option with Alpine is gone
4. Alonso waits until Piastri's option expires. Then announces deal with AM without telling Alpine
5. Alpine panics and tries to exercise option on Piastri, but the option has expired and Piastri has contract elsewhere.

Lastly there is the large deja vu on this given this happens first recently in Indycar with Alex Palou, McLaren's Indycar team and Chip Ganassi Racing. Including public announcements of taking up contract options and in Indycar even providing quotes from Palou that he didn't make.

It is all very entertaining.

Richard

Without us really knowing anything concrete at the moment, I think your suggestion above sounds very likely...

I very much doubt Piastri, or more likely his team, would so publicly twist Alpine if there wasnt a solid alternative.

And equally, they wouldnt sign with that solid alternative before ensuring they are legally in the right.

You'd think anyway, I imagine we will find out soon.

As a Mclaren fan, im hopeful this means doors for Riccardo. Hes been incredibly disapointing, yet that didnt seem too suprising. Whether it was Piastri, Palou, Herta, or O'Ward, Im not too bothered.

Course there is one possibility outside of Mclaren, perhaps Alpha Tauri have poached him into the RB family to replace Yuki... Seems less likely though
Old 2 Aug 2022, 22:41 (Ref:4121614)   #97
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Without us really knowing anything concrete at the moment, I think your suggestion above sounds very likely...

I very much doubt Piastri, or more likely his team, would so publicly twist Alpine if there wasnt a solid alternative.

And equally, they wouldnt sign with that solid alternative before ensuring they are legally in the right.

You'd think anyway, I imagine we will find out soon.

As a Mclaren fan, im hopeful this means doors for Riccardo. Hes been incredibly disapointing, yet that didnt seem too suprising. Whether it was Piastri, Palou, Herta, or O'Ward, Im not too bothered.

Course there is one possibility outside of Mclaren, perhaps Alpha Tauri have poached him into the RB family to replace Yuki... Seems less likely though
The only F1 doors open for Ricciardo are exit ones.He is 33 and not close to the driver he was 2014-2017.
If he wants to go and play with all the other old men in IndyCar he could.A lot of the grid is like a open wheeler version of golf’s Champions Tour.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 22:47 (Ref:4121615)   #98
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
2. He lets Piastri know.

Definitely a good story . A bit far-fetched? Maybe. Formula 1 people do seem to have a way of making contracts much more complicated and acrimonious than they need to be.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 22:56 (Ref:4121616)   #99
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You have to wonder what's in the water at Alpine for them to now look like Virgin or Marussia. When a kid who has no F1 race experience is willing to spin the wheel of where with McLaren you end up instead of a seat at Alpine you have to wonder.

And is McLaren getting a bit extended? They keep signing drivers to add to a full Indy lineup, full F1 lineup and what 2 Formula E seats? By my count there are at least 4 Indy drivers for 3 seats (pending the legal fun), 2 guys paid for F1, Piastri now and the continuous US media fun of some kid named Herta, and his buddy Pato, floating around for F1. That's possibly 8 for 5 seats unless they want FE ride to wait out Danny Ric until 2024.

My thoughts are no way in hell for Herta in F1, he's far too rough on his Indy equipment for F1 success, and he can really only go there but he's not under a contract, just a test and potentially the Young Driver testing later
Old 3 Aug 2022, 05:23 (Ref:4121629)   #100
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
Definitely a good story . A bit far-fetched? Maybe. Formula 1 people do seem to have a way of making contracts much more complicated and acrimonious than they need to be.
Alonso and Webber, who is Piastri's manager, are old buddies so there could well be something in it.