Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 23 Aug 2000, 17:00 (Ref:32357)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With Michael Andretti wanting more pay for his services and Newman-Haas reluctant to pay him it looks more and more likely that he might end up racing in the IRL. I'm sure that TG will be happy to subsidize his salary much the way he did with Unser Jr. in an effort to steal away one of CART's big names.

Vasser may end up in the IRL after looking at his prospects. The guy would make a good teammate for nay young driver but too many will question his motivation. His fallout with CG might spark him to chase the title harder.

Tracy is looking more and more likely to replace Carpentier at Forsythe. Player's will always look to Canadian drivers first, and it looks like Tracy may be ready to part company with TKG.

Herta has turned down a possible drive with Coyne Racing for next year. I realize this is not a frontline effort but it is better than no other offer, unless he has a better one on the table. Maybe TCGR? Maybe Newman-Haas?

A driver that might possibly be poached from his seat is Memo Gidley. His stock has risen quite a bit after finishing in the points in each race he has run this year.

Also, Telefonica is apparently shopping Oriol Servia around the teams and Newman-Haas seems interested as they are losing their K Mart sponsorship at season's end.

There are a host of young guns waiting in the wings as well. Several drivers in Indy Lights and Atlantics are ready and looking to move up to the champ cars.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 17:42 (Ref:32363)   #2
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andretti already signed with Kool Green. From what I've heard. You'll read about it soon. Also, Franchitti is going to Newman-Haas. I think he'll be teamed with Herbert. Tracy will go to Players.
Vasser will probably end up at Patrick with Moreno. Fernandez and Junquiera at Ganassi...
Old 23 Aug 2000, 17:52 (Ref:32365)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
newman haas? yellow cars? ewwww!!!!! gross!
and besides, christian would look terrible in yellow

i'm not convinced about andretti and kool green. not his scene, cause he'll have to be equal with dario. and he won't have that. on the other hand, i did uncondiationally back my boy for the race last weekend....

i reckon it'll be herta/gidley alongside christian at n/h. they want an american driver.
Old 24 Aug 2000, 00:46 (Ref:32428)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nix on the Mikey at Kool Green - they can't race at Indy because of the cigarette sponsorship and Mikey has "demanded" that anyone he graces with his aging and elderly presence must provide him with a drive at Indy. Mikey will probably get a backmarker team or have to start his own.

Johnny is mooted at Newman Hass and also Moreno is being mentioned for that drive.

BAT wants Tracy at Players and this will probably happen. Patrick may go to Patrick if Fernandez sets up his own team.

Old 24 Aug 2000, 02:00 (Ref:32433)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

johnny herbert before jason bright or scott dixon - what a waste of time.
Old 24 Aug 2000, 02:16 (Ref:32438)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would much rather see Player's invest in young talent, rather than Tracy. There are a number of very good Canadian and American drivers at the Atlantics level that could make the move to Cart.

Johnny herbert could do well if he gets a drive with a top team too. Hopefully when Mikey packs his bags Johnny can move in and win a championship or so before retiring
Old 24 Aug 2000, 02:25 (Ref:32439)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you must be kidding?
Old 24 Aug 2000, 04:23 (Ref:32453)   #8
floid2000
Racer

floid2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Right on Liz A guy like Andretti has a lot of nerve making demands on a team. He's a washed up ,old driver who hasn't won a race in weeks.AND might not win the championship this year(again).Give the best rides to TRULY GREAT drivers like Gil de Feren. After all , He's won almost 6 races and has that international apeal that No American could ever hope to achieve. PLUS..................
Women AND Gay Men find him irresistable.
GO BRAZIL
Old 24 Aug 2000, 21:52 (Ref:32565)   #9
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

AndrettiRULES should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too have heard the Team Green rumor, and it's looking more and more likely that's where Mikey is going. But don't look for him to be in a Green car...he'll be in a red/blue Motorola sponsored car, and thus he'll be in the 500 as well!

AR
Old 24 Aug 2000, 22:12 (Ref:32567)   #10
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ouch
Old 25 Aug 2000, 00:43 (Ref:32601)   #11
AndrettiRULES
Rookie

AndrettiRULES should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoops...sorry if I mislead anyone. I didn't mean he was going to PacWest, but 'supposedly' Team Green is getting a 3rd car and it'll be sponsored by Motorola.

AR
Old 25 Aug 2000, 03:57 (Ref:32634)   #12
kev
Rookie

kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just quietly

According to a friend of a friend who knows the Dixon family. Scott will be driving one of PacWests cars next season. Apparently he was quicker than both their current drivers in testing.
I don't know how accurate this is, or who would get the chop.
Old 25 Aug 2000, 13:03 (Ref:32683)   #13
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've heard the same rumors that Dixon outlapped both Gugelmin and Blundell. It seems that both the PacWest drivers have gotten stagnant in their seats and may need some shake up to spur them onward. Gugelmin has been looking toward retirement for a few years and may step aside for Dixon.

It also looks like some of the sponsors have also begun shopping around. Apparently Motorola is courting another team to sponsor and at least four of the current teams have made presentations to them.

It appears that Franchitti is now not going to race for Jaguar and there may be a driver swap with Andretti between Newman-Haas and Team Green. This may be the best solution for each party. Another rumor has Franchitti moving over to Target Chip Ganassi Racing to replace either of the team's departing drivers.

Also, the latest rumors have Kim Green leaving his team and going to a management position with British American Racing. The fact that he has been approached is true, but the disposition is not yet decided.

Paul Tracy moving to Team Forsythe looks more and more promising as Player's has stated that they desire a winning Canadian driver to lead the team. That seriously narrows the field of applicants.

I would not be surprised to see Franchitti be teamed with Johnny Herbert at TCGR or at Newman-Haas. If Green does leave for BAR, what will become of TKG? Will it continue onward or begin a steady decline?
Old 26 Aug 2000, 13:12 (Ref:32923)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Ford has promised Johnny Herbert major help in getting him a good drive in CART (hence his confidence in predicting same) - which will probably be NH, that being Ford's top team at present. Rumour also has it that NH will be angling to buy da Matta out of his PPI contract to partner Johnny and build for the future.

Target have suggested that Bruno Junqueria (another fine Brazilian!) has the inside track on one of their cars, and they might take Dario if they could get him, but Dario wants to stay at Green.

If Green is running a Motorola car, does that mean Blundell has lost that sponsorship?