Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 13 Jun 2018, 11:02 (Ref:3828854)   #16
BobJones
Racer

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
This might be a subtle hint to some other tracks, such as Cadwell and Castle Combe that they may be considered if they improved their infrastructure to accommodate the large crowds that attend and the number of facilities that the TOCA package requires to operate successfully for a weekend.
Exactly.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 11:03 (Ref:3828855)   #17
RS67
Racer

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps we could have some street circuits.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3828858)   #18
BobJones
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
whereas Rockingham allows a view of nearly the whole circuit from one place.

Probably means I wonít be attending a round next year because no other circuit offers the same visibility.
Brands Hatch Indy ó You can see it all from the grandstand.

Knockhill ó You can see all of it from the central hill area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
I also think two rounds at Thruxton is an error, it might be fast but fast doesnít always mean good. Maybe they should have considered a round at Mondello like before.
I agree that on paper, a fresh track is the best solution for fans at first. But does Mondello have easy access, space in the paddock for the now massive hospitality for a big grid and a cheap (i.e. free) ferry deal for teams? Not sure it does.

Perhaps a compromise could have been the round at a venue that has an alternate layout i.e. Donington with the loop, or the full GP Silverstone layout? (Yes, I know Gow has poo-pooed this previously, and I get why. It's such a long track, it will make it look like 6 people are attending with empty grandstands and such)
Old 13 Jun 2018, 11:10 (Ref:3828859)   #19
BobJones
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Perhaps we could have some street circuits.
The dream.

Mind you, will it be an exciting race?
Old 13 Jun 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3828861)   #20
mattsmith
Rookie

England
Somerset
mattsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This might be a subtle hint to some other tracks, such as Cadwell and Castle Combe that they may be considered if they improved their infrastructure to accommodate the large crowds that attend and the number of facilities that the TOCA package requires to operate successfully for a weekend.
I can't see Castle Combe getting a round. The paddock facilities wouldn't be up to scratch for the touring cars and the attitude at Combe has always been that spending that sort of money for the touring cars wouldn't be something they wanted to do.
And then there's the NIMBYs to think about.....
Old 13 Jun 2018, 11:33 (Ref:3828862)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think on paper Rockingham is a great venue, free grandstand seat, easy to get to, great view etc. However my main issue is that all the action takes place at the furthest points away from you. Sure they come past you on the oval quite close, but all the side by side jostling and outbraking moves takes place as small dots on the horizon, no where even close to your viewing location.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 11:45 (Ref:3828867)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it’ll be interesting to see what the plan is for support series for thruxton because most of the current ones either can’t or struggle to run there.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3828869)   #23
steve_r
Veteran

England
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsteve_r should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rockingham was a bit different and produced some very good racing over the years. I'm sad to see it go.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 12:18 (Ref:3828870)   #24
Northern Monkey
Rookie

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With Mondello Park, it is also worth bearing in mind that the owner has just passed away which could have an impact on their plans going forwards - just to add something to the cost argument
Old 13 Jun 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3828878)   #25
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BTCC at Cadwell!
Old 13 Jun 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3828883)   #26
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm genuinely saddened when any race circuit is having difficulties, however I can't say I'll particularly miss Rockingham, for me it's the worst venue on the calendar for trackside spectating, and it's especially bad if you happen to like taking photos.

As Sodemo said, if you're in the grandstand then you might as well be watching toy cars racing they're that far away, and other than that you've got the start/finish straight or the roof of the pit building.

As far as alternatives go, I'd love to see them going round Cadwell for a giggle, but it makes Oulton look positively wide, and Combe hasn't got the facilities. I'd quite like to see Anglesey given a go, but I'm not sure what they have in terms of facilities, and it's not the most accessible place in the world.

Much as I'm not a big fan of Silverstone, surely the International layout could be an option? It's essentially a whole different track at the same location.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 13:03 (Ref:3828884)   #27
Robin Marriott
Racer

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cadwell would be impossible, itís far too narrow.
Old 13 Jun 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3828885)   #28
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMoneyseeker should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

BTCC at Cadwell would be carnage!
Old 13 Jun 2018, 13:20 (Ref:3828887)   #29
snowen250
Veteran

snowen250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
BTCC at Cadwell would be carnage!
Personally i'd love to see them at Combe, but then I think of them and all the support series squeezing into quarry corner and think it would rival Cadwell for the carnage!
Old 13 Jun 2018, 14:05 (Ref:3828889)   #30
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Much as I'm not a big fan of Silverstone, surely the International layout could be an option? It's essentially a whole different track at the same location.
Access to the paddock isn't simple and it's also not big enough to house all the series either. That's why f1 and wec have support teams down at the original pits.