Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 4 Sep 2009, 21:47 (Ref:2534687)   #1
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota/Rebellion Racing - Le Mans/ILMC/LMS - 2011 (merged)

I have just been reading an article on Autosport about Toyota cutting the costs on its F1 project and there is a very interesting bit in it:

Quote:
It is also believed that any staff needed to be cut from the F1 programme may be shifted onto a sportscar Le Mans project which is being considered for 2011.
Here is the whole article: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78300
Old 4 Sep 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2534691)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It'd be nice if they would get a program together for 2011, now that the rules are more clear. They have been "considering" a program for a while now.
Old 4 Sep 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2534694)   #3
92scotland
Racer

United Kingdom
92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid92scotland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But that wasn't any definite proof (although this isn't so much either) but this seems to more promising news
Old 4 Sep 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2534700)   #4
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ya, the Dome Toyota S102-3-4(whatever) Hybrid just keeps bubbling along it seems.

L.P.
Old 5 Sep 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2534855)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Old 6 Sep 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2535327)   #6
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were already threads for 2010, 2009, 2008. Going to Le Mans is a sensible decision, and to me it has to come with another sensible decision like leaving Farce 1.
Old 6 Sep 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2535473)   #7
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Toyota should have never left Sportcars ; now they see the results.
If only they'd come back, it should be a fantastic challenge.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 06:36 (Ref:2537526)   #8
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
Toyota should have never left Sportcars ; now they see the results.
If only they'd come back, it should be a fantastic challenge.
Right you are Pascal. I'll never forget the sight and sounds of the stunning GT-One's in '98 and '99.
Le Mans has missed a serious japanese sportscar effort for far too long if one asks me. For some reason,the japanese allways know how to make goodlooking liveries on their cars(the late 'Dragon' Panoz LMP1's for instance) that are most allways fast and spectacular to watch.

I for one,as a Toyota fan,would be very enthousiastic about a return of my coveted mark.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 08:40 (Ref:2537592)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
Right you are Pascal. I'll never forget the sight and sounds of the stunning GT-One's in '98 and '99.
Le Mans has missed a serious japanese sportscar effort for far too long if one asks me. For some reason,the japanese allways know how to make goodlooking liveries on their cars(the late 'Dragon' Panoz LMP1's for instance) that are most allways fast and spectacular to watch.

I for one,as a Toyota fan,would be very enthousiastic about a return of my coveted mark.
I would also love to see toyota return and with the continued poor( thats the polite way of saying it) performance of enormously expensive farcical one time it can not be long before thier priorities are changed and they return to the better value for money forms of racing.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 15:08 (Ref:2537828)   #10
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I mentioned this in another thread about why more mfg. aren't in sports car. Toyota and Honda, both ought to be sports car racing and not F1. Both companies stress reliability, quality, and endurance. Ninety minute sprint races do not achieve these goals. Audi realizes this (plus they don't enjoy ****ing money away) so here they are. I think a Toyota program would provide additional motivation for Honda to stay in. Frankly, Honda and Toyota got their brand image wrong by running the wrong brand in the wrong series. It ought to be Honda/Toyota in sports cars and Acura/Lexus in F1.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2537846)   #11
Petrol Head
Rookie

England
North London
Petrol Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be fantastic but I seem to have been talking about this for 4 years straight.

Haven't Toyota recently made noises that they are staying in F1??
Old 10 Sep 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2537904)   #12
DanShenise
Racer

United States
Atlanta, via St. Pete Beach
DanShenise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes and supposedly they are cutting their budget though by about a third or maybe 2/5ths. So if in theory they were spending ~$420m USD, expect them to spend between, $252 and $277 USD. Supposedly and they really mean it this time, they swear.

So what does it cost to run a credible Le Mans program (ideally ALMS + Le Mans)?
Old 10 Sep 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2537948)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanShenise View Post
Yes and supposedly they are cutting their budget though by about a third or maybe 2/5ths. So if in theory they were spending ~$420m USD, expect them to spend between, $252 and $277 USD. Supposedly and they really mean it this time, they swear.

So what does it cost to run a credible Le Mans program (ideally ALMS + Le Mans)?
Less than the difference between $420m and $252m that's for sure!! But if Toyota is interested in saving money in their racing program in F1 would they really be interested in starting a new LMP program? I sure hope so.
Old 10 Sep 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2538026)   #14
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Perhaps Toyota could enter a two-door Prius in GT2. BMW are aloud to race the M3....
Old 11 Sep 2009, 04:03 (Ref:2538160)   #15
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
All the rumblings I've been hearing indicate that a Toyota win this season in F1 is essential to the continuation of that program, and that without said win, the most they'll do is one more season (2010) before pulling the plug on F1. This came up partly because Trulli wanted two more years on his contract, and Toyota would only, in theory, agree to one more year at this stage.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 06:48 (Ref:2538221)   #16
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still hope that Toyota racing programs could be based on Lexus LF-A :

http://www.supercars.net/carpics/449...rburgring3.jpg
Old 11 Sep 2009, 17:21 (Ref:2538659)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkob View Post
I still hope that Toyota racing programs could be based on Lexus LF-A :

http://www.supercars.net/carpics/449...rburgring3.jpg
Would be a nice looking GT2.
Old 11 Sep 2009, 17:36 (Ref:2538668)   #18
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Would be a nice looking GT2.
Yes it would. More pics of it from the Nordschleife

L.P.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2539617)   #19
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
All the rumblings I've been hearing indicate that a Toyota win this season in F1 is essential to the continuation of that program, and that without said win, the most they'll do is one more season (2010) before pulling the plug on F1. This came up partly because Trulli wanted two more years on his contract, and Toyota would only, in theory, agree to one more year at this stage.
What about the Concorde Agreement they just signed?
Old 13 Sep 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2539626)   #20
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You sell the team plus the spot on the entry list.

Chris
Old 13 Sep 2009, 15:47 (Ref:2539747)   #21
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After what has happened at Honda/Brawn I would doubt toyota would want to sell the team only for it to start winning with someone elses engine. Plus the TTe does alot more than than just F1 so selling that would be a non starter.

They could just sell the entry, maybe for a token sum and walk away and keep the TTe facility intact.

Eother way the current F1 team is little more than an also run at the moment, a retrun to winning in rallying or a new Touring car project maybe an alternate route to GT1 or P1/2

Hope for a decent Toyota P1, maybe on the back of Dome /Hybrid knowledge, but suspect they will remain in F1 for a while yet as i dont think the LMS or ALMs is strong enough and to bank everything on the 24 hours win while attractive, has not really worked for them in the past.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2539825)   #22
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
You sell the team plus the spot on the entry list.

Chris
Is it that easy?

Honda example is not valid since there was no Concorde Agreement in place.

And BMW-Sauber did not sign Concorde.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2542228)   #23
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
BMW has signed a deal with a buyer for the Sauber team. Here

Also Lotus announced as the 13th team.

And in more happy news from F-1, it seems Briatore and Symonds have been shown the door at Renault. Is this the straw that breaks the proverbial Camel's back? Renault to exit F-1? Here

L.P.
Old 16 Sep 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2542351)   #24
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
David Richards/Prodrive possible Renault buyer?? Here

L.P.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 07:10 (Ref:2542615)   #25
mirkob
Veteran

Italy
Rome
mirkob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
News about the Lexus LF-A:

motorauthority