Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

View Poll Results: Do you think it would work?
Yes 3 12.50%
Maybe 4 16.67%
No 17 70.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Oct 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2768648)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should there be a USA round in the FIA European Rallycross Championship?

Here's a thought. If rallycross gets big in the states in a few years, say 5 to 10 years, do you think the European Rallycross Championship should go intercontinental for a race, provided it is feasible with the drivers and teams?

(Personally, I think it would work, as it could bring new blood and new cars to the series. I think it would also allow Rallycross to develop further in the USA. Unless Rallycross comes back in Australia; I can't see the championship going global, but I can see America making a good wild card event. My major issue with this would be the costs to the teams and drivers and the amount of organization required.)
Old 3 Oct 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2768678)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would be better to have it as a one off event called the FIA Rallycross World Cup or something. then the American Rx championship guys could join in.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2768751)   #3
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Money talks. There is a long tradition in the US of racers being funded just to turn up - paid for by serious numbers of paying spectators. So if someone is bold enough to risk the cash and have a go, who knows?

If you could get serious numbers of competitors and a proper TV deal for domestic US rallycross it could be VERY big indeed as it has all-action appeal. Off road truck racing in the shape of CORR made a big impact a few years ago. But in my experience the US has a motorsport audience with high expectations about its sport - half a dozen supercars won't cut it. Don't even think about it unless you can guarantee a full grid with some competitive US names.
Old 3 Oct 2010, 21:30 (Ref:2768821)   #4
WJM
Racer

Netherlands
WJM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross in Europe first needs to get a whole lot stronger. You could say only 14 drivers attempted a full season in Div1 this year, yet only 7 competed in every single event. Most are whining about Portugal right now, imagine what they'd say if they had to go to the US...
Old 3 Oct 2010, 22:29 (Ref:2768837)   #5
schanche
Veteran

England
5OUTH E4ST
schanche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly! No because they will use it,abuse it,and then dump it! But fairplay to drivers who are at least giving it ago..........
Old 4 Oct 2010, 08:35 (Ref:2768948)   #6
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like the idea of a European round in America but, in practical terms, I think its a no. As has been said, many drivers are already struggling with budget already and hosting a round in the US is just going to make the financial issue even worse.

I think Nickyf1's idea is the best compromise: have a one off International event that those with the budget can attend, but where non-attendance won't affect the Championship chances of any European contender running with a lesser budget.

I personally think the X-Games "Super Rally" has the potential to evolve into a "International Rallycross" type event - however in order to do so it would need some serious thinking from both ERC and X-Games organisers in order to achieve this.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 11:22 (Ref:2769024)   #7
daz2202
Racer

England
Canterbury
daz2202 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they pick up America and drop it somewhere in the english channel then it would be in europe and then that would be ok.

You wouldnt have american football teams playing in the 'European' champions league!
The Americans and europeans do not mix teams for the ryder cup!

Just my penny's worth !
Old 4 Oct 2010, 13:54 (Ref:2769122)   #8
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No as its not in europe
Old 4 Oct 2010, 14:36 (Ref:2769154)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I don't think it's really feasible (certainly in the short term) for the ERC to host a round in the USA. I may be wrong but I'd also expect the US championship to run to different regs to the ERC - the class structure isn't realistically going to follow div2, div1a and div1 is it? I'd expect distinct US classes to develop (that may be able to accomodate the European cars) and probably a variation on the basic rules as well (to suit the US market).
Old 4 Oct 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2769167)   #10
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_cooper View Post
No as its not in europe
The American Le Mans Series did have an 11 year contract with Adelaide at one point, and with plans to have a race at Sepang, however the race at Adelaide was only run once.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 17:22 (Ref:2769308)   #11
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I would say 2 standalone (big prize money) events mid October.
Old 4 Oct 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2769467)   #12
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They shouldnt have a championship round, but i think there should be an event every year and try and get all the top drivers out there for a special event
Old 10 Oct 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2772538)   #13
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe room for an internations cup? Once in a few years?
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:10 (Ref:2773879)   #14
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a one off event along the lines of the Superprix, GP etc would work. Drivers could do it as and when funds were available. Calendars would need to be worked out but no reason why it couldn't work as a stand alone event.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2773889)   #15
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see why there couldn't be a few stand alone or 'grand prix' style events in the future - especially in the off season when there is nothing else racing on four wheels. If you could get a broadcaster like Eurosport to back it in the way they do with the IRC then it may be a runner... but you would need backing.

British GP
Irish GP (planned already?)
Barbados Rally carnival GP
US GP...?
Old 13 Oct 2010, 07:41 (Ref:2774186)   #16
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Sounds like a plan! Be good to see something in Scandinavia as well bearing in mind how popular the sport is over there. Having said that I suppose that's what Rallycross Norden is.
Old 13 Oct 2010, 07:58 (Ref:2774197)   #17
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Just thought, didn't they do some sort of rallycross event as part of the Barbados Rally Carnival a few years back? I think there was a website still active a while back, seem to recall pictures of an RS200.