Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 12 Dec 2018, 23:31 (Ref:3869798)   #2076
SteveLevin
Rookie

United States
near the Corkscrew!
SteveLevin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Not very sporting of Rob, his statements are true, but coming from a man who could afford to race without sponsorship if he wanted too are a bit rich.

I thought it was Dad that had money? Not that Rob eats at Little Chef, but not automatically enough to self-fund years of BTCC?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 06:32 (Ref:3869828)   #2077
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I was a bit genuinely confused after reading the first sentence - there be a few contenders for that crown!

But in essence I believe Austin and Belcher screwed up royally by ditching a perfectly good well developed (by others) car and being too cocky by half thinking they had the skill to develop one of their own. Let's face it, the A4 was largely crap through the entirety it was campaigned, the Alfa more so.

As for Oliphant he impressed me during his Porsche days, the young man should take to the BMW like a duck to water.
Or the common component - the driver - is average
Old 13 Dec 2018, 07:49 (Ref:3869833)   #2078
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Or the common component - the driver - is average
That Sir is a very distinct possibility. The beard isn't helping the aero either! 😆
Old 13 Dec 2018, 07:56 (Ref:3869834)   #2079
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon411 View Post
Posted on Twitter by someone who seems pretty sure and then liked by Rob Collard:

'Gutted to hear @CollardRob is leaving btcc one of the most Genuine guys on the grid . And always to talk to and watch at work in a race car'

On the basis it's accurate it's a shame to see Rob bow out but pleased he at least managed to pick up a win in 2018. He stepped up his game over the last few seasons with his racecraft and I'll miss seeing him come charging through from his qualifying position.
When I last heard Rob talking a month or so ago - I was in the same room but not in conversation with him - it did sound as though calling it a day was very much on the cards and helping his sons with their racing careers was his priority.

A very nice, approachable, down to earth and totally selfless chap. Not to mention one of the best hard chargers. I hope we'll see him around still, he added a lot of cheery personality to the paddock.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 08:27 (Ref:3869836)   #2080
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not surprised to hear Rob Collard calling it a day, he's giving it a good go and been up there long enough. He will be missed
Old 13 Dec 2018, 08:50 (Ref:3869839)   #2081
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overboost View Post
Not very sporting of Rob, his statements are true, but coming from a man who could afford to race without sponsorship if he wanted too are a bit rich. Just because he's been able to fund his racing through other people's money (including poaching other drivers deals, but that's another story), he seems a bit jealous of the fact Tom's family are to pay for him to race whereas his aren't!
Yep was just going to say thought the Austin’s were well heeled as well. Which is why I never agreed with the ‘owners club’ campaign.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 09:22 (Ref:3869842)   #2082
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dan Cammish on Twitter -

"Saw a sneak preview of our 2019 #btcc livery today. Absolute 🔥. Can’t wait to get strapped back in because by man maths we’re at least a tenth quicker already. #looksfastgoesfast"

Seems to confirm him, I assume still at Dynamics.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 09:40 (Ref:3869849)   #2083
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
I thought it was Dad that had money? Not that Rob eats at Little Chef, but not automatically enough to self-fund years of BTCC?
Yes it is his Dad/family who could fund it, but don't unlike Oliphant's.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3869851)   #2084
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
Yep was just going to say thought the Austin’s were well heeled as well. Which is why I never agreed with the ‘owners club’ campaign.
Exactly, same with the 'save Sherman', it's no wonder he has the nickname of Knob Austin in certain parts of the paddock.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 09:50 (Ref:3869852)   #2085
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret squirrel View Post
Theres a mention of overated drivers.......i really struggle tonsee the obsession with Jake Hill, whats he done to gain this obsession with him getting a drive? IMO theres better drivers on the toca package than Jake bit seems to have a crazed following on here..........please correct me iff im wrong!!
The people who have run him in the past think he’s the ‘real deal’ he just struggles with having limited budget. So if the likes of Dave Bartrum, Shaun Hollamby, Tony Gilham (before the divorce)plus those in the support categories are wrong, then you might be right.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:10 (Ref:3869856)   #2086
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Plato User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Lets be honest we lost respect for austin when he had to cheat his way to pole on live tv,
Be no great loss if he doesn't come back the same with Knob collard,
Not as nice as he tries to come across,
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:16 (Ref:3869860)   #2087
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like AmD & Butcher are splitting?

"Good luck with your 2019 season @rorybutcher 😀👍🏁"
(@AmDessex)

"Thanks guys and same to you all 👍🏻"
(@rorybutcher)
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:19 (Ref:3869861)   #2088
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato View Post
Lets be honest we lost respect for austin when he had to cheat his way to pole on live tv,
I've found Rob Collard to be nothing other than a good guy and he makes a mean cup of tea in a polystyrene cup!
Old 13 Dec 2018, 10:23 (Ref:3869862)   #2089
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I've found Rob Collard to be nothing other than a good guy and he makes a mean cup of tea in a polystyrene cup!
That's how you found him that's your opinion,
To me and a few others, he's a complete insert 4 letter expletive here,
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:14 (Ref:3869877)   #2090
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret squirrel View Post
Theres a mention of overated drivers.......i really struggle tonsee the obsession with Jake Hill, whats he done to gain this obsession with him getting a drive? IMO theres better drivers on the toca package than Jake bit seems to have a crazed following on here..........please correct me iff im wrong!!
I'm being terribly nice on here these days.

Anyway, Hill is an excellent driver. Speak to anyone in and around the paddock who have worked with or raced alongside him and they'll say the same. Unfortunately he's been held back by a serious lack of budget - and as such a lack of continuity and competitive machinery.

Quote:
I agree. Not on the tea front - I'm not much of a tea fan - but on the Collard being a good guy front.

Nice guy and a very talented racer.

With our friend 'Plato' only signing up to have a dig at him, I'd imagine there might be a personal issue going on - perhaps in business - here.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:35 (Ref:3869882)   #2091
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don’t know a single racing driver who wouldn’t have done the same given the chance, they’re all as dishonest as each other, whatever the championship.

I know even fewer who would have owned up to it.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3869883)   #2092
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Sounds like AmD & Butcher are splitting?

"Good luck with your 2019 season @rorybutcher ������"
(@AmDessex)

"Thanks guys and same to you all ����"
(@rorybutcher)
Back at Motorbase?

[edit] or following the car?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:47 (Ref:3869885)   #2093
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
I'm being terribly nice on here these days.

Anyway, Hill is an excellent driver. Speak to anyone in and around the paddock who have worked with or raced alongside him and they'll say the same. Unfortunately he's been held back by a serious lack of budget - and as such a lack of continuity and competitive machinery.

I agree. Not on the tea front - I'm not much of a tea fan - but on the Collard being a good guy front.

Nice guy and a very talented racer.

With our friend 'Plato' only signing up to have a dig at him, I'd imagine there might be a personal issue going on - perhaps in business - here.
There's a personal issue yeah, but if Knob wasn't in the news would have brought it up,
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:48 (Ref:3869888)   #2094
Plato
Rookie

Netherlands
Patagonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
I don’t know a single racing driver who wouldn’t have done the same given the chance, they’re all as dishonest as each other, whatever the championship.

I know even fewer who would have owned up to it.
Still a cheat and trying to cheat his fan club out of a few quid , that he already has, good riddance to bad rubbish
Old 13 Dec 2018, 12:17 (Ref:3869899)   #2095
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Any respect I had for him went when I came across him at the Rockingham Citroen C1 24 hour race. And I am surprised he hasn't got Stella to sponsor him.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 13:12 (Ref:3869912)   #2096
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I've found Rob Collard ... makes a mean cup of tea
Which is the standard by which anyone should be judged!

Seriously though, he takes things on track seriously, which is perhaps why some people consider him to be arrogant, but always found him very approachable.

Can't say I'm hugely surprised at him leaving the team. There were strong rumours last year that he would step down and spend more time supporting his sons.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3869940)   #2097
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
Anyone fancy getting back on topic?
Ok let’s try! Anyone reckon any more surprises to come? Proctor, Goff & Cook all actively saying they have nothing sorted respectively for next year. Just keeping themselves in the media or making a point?
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:06 (Ref:3869952)   #2098
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Wheels View Post
Ok let’s try! Anyone reckon any more surprises to come? Proctor, Goff & Cook all actively saying they have nothing sorted respectively for next year. Just keeping themselves in the media or making a point?
I cant see PMR going for complete change, I think Proctor may stay, I think Cook to BMR was the rumor a while ago.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:17 (Ref:3869954)   #2099
CM388
Racer

CM388 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Collard now confirmed to have left WSR - looking at options elsewhere in the BTCC and British GT.
Old 13 Dec 2018, 16:19 (Ref:3869958)   #2100
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Maybe the Plato PMR whisper has legs if neither Cook or Proctor are confirmed. Or maybe Cook and/ or Proctor are still working to continue in the seats. Early days still.